RAM refuses to take an OC

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

Please not userbenchmark, also don't know what you're referring to.

.1 ghz is literally 2.5%, so in best case scenario that's a 2.5% boost. I've never seen a 4 ghz CPU doing 2.5% better than a 3.9 ghz one. Literal best case scenario, in reality it's gonna be 1%, max, for .1 ghz and 2% for .2.

Still digging, found the reddit but can't find the source again. Dr. Goggle be damned...

Depends on the game, and other hardware in the system. Running a 1060? No argument. Running a 1080ti? Let have a come to jesus talk. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Please not userbenchmark, also don't know what you're referring to.

Then look anywhere else.  You'll see anywhere that the 1700 has a 3.0GHz/3.7GHz base and boost clock, while the 1800X has a 3.6GHz/4.0GHz base and boost clock.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

It's a LONG ass video, but worth a watch. They discuss the chances and the source. Where I originally got the information from. 

5 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Then look anywhere else.  You'll see anywhere that the 1700 has a 3.0GHz/3.7GHz base and boost clock, while the 1800X has a 3.6GHz/4.0GHz base and boost clock.

Our debate is over how high it OVERCLOCKS. Not the stock speeds.

3 minutes ago, App4that said:

It's a LONG ass video, but worth a watch. They discuss the chances and the source. Where I originally got the information from. 

Will do later.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

So after some tweeking I got my 1800X stable at 3.8Ghz instead of 3.6... but I cannot get the RAM to budge an inch even after setting it to 1.35V

derp

Our debate is over how high it OVERCLOCKS. Not the stock speeds.

Will do later.

Apologies, I see that when I went back and reread everything.  I've got a headache, and it usually causes me to misread stuff.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 minute ago, Linksys120n said:

So after some tweeking I got my 1800X stable at 3.8Ghz instead of 3.6... but I cannot get the RAM to budge an inch even after setting it to 1.35V

Make sure you have the latest bios, this was a common problem with early editions of the bios. If you think you have the latest, check again. Well worth the effort. 

Just now, App4that said:

Make sure you have the latest bios, this was a common problem with early editions of the bios. If you think you have the latest, check again. Well worth the effort. 

I updated the Bios less than a week ago...

derp

Just now, Linksys120n said:

I updated the Bios less than a week ago...

You chose a brand new platform, the Bios can change daily. It's worth the effort to check them as such. 

12 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

snip

6 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

snip

I Got the 1800X running at 3.8Ghz but I cannot get the RAM to budge an inch even with 1.35V

derp

10 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Apologies, I see that when I went back and reread everything.  I've got a headache, and it usually causes me to misread stuff.

Migraines? I get them and they suck :/ 

4 minutes ago, Linksys120n said:

I Got the 1800X running at 3.8Ghz but I cannot get the RAM to budge an inch even with 1.35V

Tried loosening timings perhaps?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

Tried loosening timings perhaps?

Whats the point it's clear to me that GSkill did this on purpose so that you have to buy the faster RAM....

derp

Whats the point it's clear to me that GSkill did this on purpose so that you have to buy the faster RAM....

Try loosening the timings and see if it can even go to 2400.

Not sure what you mean?

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Try loosening the timings and see if it can even go to 2400.

Not sure what you mean?

I think GSkill put some kind of Microcode inside the RAM it'self so that it will never accept an OC... I mean OCing DDR3 on my 4790k was super easy... this however just won't budge...

derp

I think GSkill put some kind of Microcode inside the RAM it'self so that it will never accept an OC... I mean OCing DDR3 on my 4790k was super easy... this however just won't budge...

No, it's more of a combination of a Ryzen issue with ram overclocking and the ICs in the ram itself refusing to OC.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

14 minutes ago, Linksys120n said:

Not all RAM can be clocked equally.  If it could, all RAM would be sold at higher clock speeds.  Usually the RAM that can't be clocked at like 3000MHz gets sold at lower clock speeds.  When you buy higher clocked RAM, you are paying for the guarantee that it's overclockable.

27 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Migraines? I get them and they suck :/

Yep.  My mom has them, but I didn't have my first one until college.  I'm sorry I was so salty with you before.  Caffeine is the only thing that really helps them, and I got some Mountain Dew a bit ago so I'm feeling better.

41 minutes ago, Linksys120n said:

You bought 2133mhz rated ram and blame Gskill for it performing at 2133mhz? 

Are you on the latest bios? recent bios updates REALLY help with ram compatibility, also with Ryzen you should up the Vcore SOC to around 1.2v to help with memory overclocks.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4/index.us.asp#BIOS

Either way, if you do replace the ram get the FASTEST you can afford and then some, Agesa (an update AMD releases to manufacturers to make new bios's with) 1006 has released offering upto 4000mhz ram speeds. It's not available for all yet but will trickle out. Ram speeds really help Ryzen in gaming, so best not to cheap out again 

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

53 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:Not all RAM can be clocked equally.  If it could, all RAM would be sold at higher clock speeds.  Usually the RAM that can't be clocked at like 3000MHz gets sold at lower clock speeds.  When you buy higher clocked RAM, you are paying for the guarantee that it's overclockable.

Yep.  My mom has them, but I didn't have my first one until college.  I'm sorry I was so salty with you before.  Caffeine is the only thing that really helps them, and I got some Mountain Dew a bit ago so I'm feeling better.

Na I didn't find ya salty :P. If anyone should be apologizing, it probably should be me since I was being a bit short tempered. Sorry bout dat :) 

Weird thing is, for me caffeine actually causes them to happen xD. Before, if I drank something with caffeine if I broke the "streak" of drinking caffeine every day, I would get a headache that day. Now, I get a headache around 1 hr after the caffeine and the next day :/ 

1 hour ago, App4that said:

Watched the whole video. Around 29:00 Wendell talked about the 1800x overclocking stats, but never really mentioned em for the other two CPUs. He mentioned it was from silicon lottery, so I searched around and found this:

Judging by the stats, the 1700, when OCed, is pretty much an 1800x-.1 ghz. The voltages directly line up (though I assume due to testing an it makes it easier), but the percentages are really close if you offset em by .1 ghz.

In the best case scenario, this would lead to, on average, about .1/4.0 * 100% or 2.5% performance increase. Evidently though, it's not totally frequency bound or 1700 to 4ghz 1700 with 2933 MHz ram would be yielding around a 20% perf boost.

http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/2865-ryzen-revisit-ram-overclock-windows-update-efi-updates/page-5

So in reality, an 1800x is gonna have 1-1.5% higher performance than a 1700, for 50% more.

Not worth it imo.

Also, 1700x doesn't have that much better OCing than 1700 if you ask me. Not worth the extra 20%, just my opinion.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Na I didn't find ya salty :P. If anyone should be apologizing, it probably should be me since I was being a bit short tempered. Sorry bout dat :) 

Weird thing is, for me caffeine actually causes them to happen xD. Before, if I drank something with caffeine if I broke the "streak" of drinking caffeine every day, I would get a headache that day. Now, I get a headache around 1 hr after the caffeine and the next day :/ 

That's a bummer.  I'm trying hard to stay collected right now.  A guy keeps insulting me on here because I said that Ryzen performs better in content creation but not as good at games, which is well known and proven.  He's insisting that an i7 is better at everything.

Anyway, no more derailing the topic.  Sorry about that.

5 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

In the best case scenario, this would lead to, on average, about .1/4.0 * 100% or 2.5% performance increase. Evidently though, it's not totally frequency bound or 1700 to 4ghz 1700 with 2933 MHz ram would be yielding around a 20% perf boost.

http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/2865-ryzen-revisit-ram-overclock-windows-update-efi-updates/page-5

So in reality, an 1800x is gonna have 1-1.5% higher performance than a 1700, for 50% more.

Not worth it imo.

Also, 1700x doesn't have that much better OCing than 1700 if you ask me. Not worth the extra 20%, just my opinion.

If you're not going to overclock, then the 1700 is a good buy. Each of the R7 have an intended buyer, none are "better" than the others. Also don't forget about sales. The 1700 hasn't gone on sale like the other R7. I bought my 1700X for 10 bucks more than the 1700 sitting next to it. 

3 minutes ago, App4that said:

If you're not going to overclock, then the 1700 is a good buy. Each of the R7 have an intended buyer, none are "better" than the others. Also don't forget about sales. The 1700 hasn't gone on sale like the other R7. I bought my 1700X for 10 bucks more than the 1700 sitting next to it. 

If it's $10 more, I don't blame ya. Microcenter had a deal a while back where you get $100 off if you got a 1700x+compatible mobo.

Even if you OC I still say 1700 is a better buy, though if, as you did, you get a 1700x for barely more or less than a 1700 it's worth it.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

If it's $10 more, I don't blame ya. Microcenter had a deal a while back where you get $100 off if you got a 1700x+compatible mobo.

Even if you OC I still say 1700 is a better buy, though if, as you did, you get a 1700x for barely more or less than a 1700 it's worth it.

It's an odd situation. On the surface all 3 look aloke, but they're different. Well, the only physical difference is the 1700 and other two R7s. Why the 1700x and 1800x had 20c delta from read and actual. I could have got the 1800x and chose not to. So I feel ya.