Upgrade now, or wait?

RightSide

Hey LTT.

I got a question to get some help.

Basicly atm i am running a 1060 3GB gpu, and i am looking for an upgrade.

But at the same time i am thinking, is it worth waiting for a new series?

I got in mind to either buy - 1080, 1080ti. 

Just tell me what you think i should do, is not because i cant play with the GPU i got, but still nice to get some more FPS. :)

Buy the 1080ti and be done, otherwise you'd always be waiting

if you are content with your current gaming experience then i would stick with the 1060 until volta comes out. if you are in a rush just get the 1080ti. 

Buy 1080 ti now. It will take some time before any better GPU comes to the market.

Sure Vega will be released soon (at least it should be), but it won't match 1080 ti performance. Unless they decide to put 2 GPU cores on one card .... that way Vega could theoreticly be faster by raw performance, but it's like you would be running crossfire on your own ... so not the best idea.

Or did you mean with waiting that you want to wait for price to be lowered on gtx 1080 ti? Prices will go down a bit but not much. Bought my GTX 1070 for 500€ 1 year ago, and now price is 400€. That means around 100€ price drop per year. Not sure if it's worth to wait that long for that kind of price drop.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

50 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

What games and at what resolution?

Processor?

I want to be playing at 4k. But its not necessesary.

i7-6700k. 

If you have the patience, save up until you can buy a 1080 Ti. That'll set you for years to come, and probably handle 4K gaming decently as well.

Spoiler
  • CPU - i7 6700K
  • Motherboard - Asus z170 Pro Gaming
  • RAM - 2x 8GB HyperX Fury DDR4 2133Mhz
  • GPU - Sapphire RX 580 Pulse
  • Case - Cooler Master StrikeX Advance Black Edition
  • Storage - 1x 1TB Seagate HDD, 1x 250GB Samsung Evo 850 SSD
  • PSU - Energon 750W CM
  • Display(s) - 2x VS278H 27-inch
  • Cooling - Hyper Evo 212
  • Keyboard - Razer Blackwidow Chroma
  • Mouse - Logitech G502
  • Sound - Razer Kraken 7.1 Pro
  • OS - Windows 10 Pro 64bit

When buying newly released hardware I'd always suggest waiting as long as possible before upgrading...because...the longer you can hold out, the more you'll get for your money, at that price-point...but...these things do move relatively slowly, so you don't want to wait forever...

One thing I would say is that if you're not going to use it immediately then don't buy now...wait until you know you're going to install it and start using it straight away, otherwise it's just going to gather dust and get more obsolete while you're off doing other things.

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2