Changing the powersupply fan!

Hi , 

So technically my fan died! (Noisy sound and barley spinning which is bad for me. ?)

Okay here's my question :

can i change the power supply fan with the case fan?

Reason asking this question: i broke. ?

Thanks for your time ( and please help don't read and leave ? )

Just a Boring Web Developer that never learns from his mistakes.

Depends on the power supply and it will also void you warranty.

Have you tried RMAing it?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, Devel0per95 said:

Hi , 

So technically my fan died! (Noisy sound and barley spinning which is bad for me. ?)

Okay here's my question :

can i change the power supply fan with the case fan?

Reason asking this question: i broke. ?

Thanks for your time ( and please help don't read and leave ? )

It's dangerous. Must have advanced skills. There are chance you electrocute yourself. Plus 95% of the time it's not worth it. 

Just buy a new PSU

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Depends on the power supply and it will also void you warranty.

Have you tried RMAing it?

can't void your warrantly in the US legally.

You can use any case fan.

2 minutes ago, smokefest said:

It's dangerous. Must have advanced skills. There are chance you electrocute yourself. Plus 95% of the time it's not worth it. 

Just buy a new PSU

Just don't touch the board and your fine, its not really dangerous.

I will try this and will tell you all what i ended up with.

Note: if you saw on news on tv about an explosion in Beirut, Lebanon (just remember me ) ?

Ok so the really simple solution is if your PSU is on warranty still, contact the manufacturer and they'll replace / repair it for you.

If it's out of warranty, there's this.

It's not terribly hard but depending on the fan that's inside your PSU you might have to take a soldering iron to it. And please if you care about your own safety, leave the PSU disconnected the night before you open it. This is important so that the capacitors inside discharge during the night and don't give you a potentially harmful shock if you touch them. Either way I recommend working with care not to touch any component on the inside.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

6 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

can't void your warrantly in the US legally.

You can use any case fan.

Yeah it will, when you cut and solder the wires to attach a new fan which is in no way meant to go in there.

Also no, you cannot use just any case fan.

It needs to be the correct diameter to screw it in, and it needs to be the same type as the fan in the PSU.

A PSU that runs a PWM fan will not work with a 3 pin fan.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Even broke I would prefer to try to streal one instead of repairing one. Less dangerous for your life loll depending on what country you live xD

You could fry yourself so... If it's a high end one, it's probs under warranty still and they'll fix it. If it's not a high end one, it's most likely easier and cheaper to buy a new one (your brain being fried is an expensive impossible thing to fix). 

Although I'd still try it just for kicks. I've been dissecting electronics since I was a kid :ph34r:

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

8 minutes ago, smokefest said:

Even broke I would prefer to try to streal one instead of repairing one. Less dangerous for your life loll depending on what country you live xD

oh well, i've done it a couple of times and i am still alive.

but that's just me and i guess i should not recommend doing it yourself because it really CAN KILL you.

opening a power supply should be the LAST option to consider. if at all. 

can you RMA your current PSU ? if you can, do it. 

if not - do you have another PC around you can borrow the PSU from until you have money to buy a new one ?

Okay here's what happened i found  powersupply but with no sata plugs then i have found 1 small sata plug and the problem i have 2 hard driver , i plugged it in the main system hard drive and now getting this, d checked the bios options its plugged in!

1493061290613-210842392.jpg

What PSU's are you using/ how old are they?

Current System Specs:

CPU: Intel I5-7660K; CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212X; Thermal Paste: IC Diamond 7 Carat; Motherboard: MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon;

RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8gb) DDR4 - 2400; SSD Storage: 1TB Samsung 850 EVO; Storage: 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm;

GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1070 8gb G1 Gaming; Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black; PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W 80+ Gold, OS: Windows 10 Home

2 minutes ago, Drake10114 said:

What PSU's are you using/ how old are they?

everything Old enough :P

55 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Yeah it will, when you cut and solder the wires to attach a new fan which is in no way meant to go in there.

Also no, you cannot use just any case fan.

It needs to be the correct diameter to screw it in, and it needs to be the same type as the fan in the PSU.

A PSU that runs a PWM fan will not work with a 3 pin fan.

No need to solder there are connectors. 

For size a yea not needs to be the same size for connectors you can easily change the plug housing 

For warranty even if you soldered your own fan it wouldn't void your warranty as third party repairs are covered under the law. 

35 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

No need to solder there are connectors. 

For size a yea not needs to be the same size for connectors you can easily change the plug housing 

For warranty even if you soldered your own fan it wouldn't void your warranty as third party repairs are covered under the law. 

1) The connectors inside a PSU are not regular fan headers like on a motherboard

2) no you cannot change the plug housing, the pins are not the same

3) Unless you file a lawsuit (which will cost you tens of thousands of dollars) the PSU manufacturer will refuse to give you a new PSU if you have modified it.

Spoiler