How does a specific mechanic of imgur work?

babadoctor

So, if I try to paste an image link to imgur that is blocked on imgur's end, it wont go through at first. But if I open the image in a new tab on chrome, then paste the link again, it works?

What makes this possible? Is imgur searching my browsing cache for that image first, before trying to download it from the blocked website's servers?

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

Just guessing but clipboard contents contain metadata- More prominently visible when you copy the actual image rather than a link. But it's entirely possible that they're just analysing the clipboard contents source or some such

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

imgur receives a request from website x to pull image

imgur reviews the url, and sees if it is blocked website x before

if so, don't serve them

if not, send the photo over

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

8 minutes ago, themctipers said:

imgur receives a request from website x to pull image

imgur reviews the url, and sees if it is blocked website x before

if so, don't serve them

if not, send the photo over

8 minutes ago, Hazy125 said:

Just guessing but clipboard contents contain metadata- More prominently visible when you copy the actual image rather than a link. But it's entirely possible that they're just analysing the clipboard contents source or some such

Here is a video I recorded showing the phenomenon.

How is it reading other websites cache? Isn't that a security concern?

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

Because of the http:// at the front of your link?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Because of the http:// at the front of your link?

What?

3 minutes ago, babadoctor said:

What?

Did you copy the URL again after opening the image in a new tab? Or did you paste the same thing twice?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

Did you copy the URL again after opening the image in a new tab? Or did you paste the same thing twice?

I pasted the same URL twice.