Is it me or are the new AM4 motherboards really over the top ugly?

I am well aware that this is a highly subjective topic but I just think that some basic principles of design seem to be violently brocken with these motherboard designs.
About my own taste: I am not against colour but I usually prefere something subtile and organized. It might come as a surprise but I don't acctually caer to much about the colour of my stuff. I have a MSI Z77-GD65 which is brown/blue with a mix of 2x Kingston HyperX RAM in blue and 2x Corsair Vengeance LPX with a Gainward GTX 1080 Phoenix (red ...) which I bought for performance and great cooler not the colour. In the back of my Fractal Design Define R4 sits a poop-brown Noctua NF-S12A and I bought windowed sidepanel after the fact. When it is dark I don't see it that much but i will be starring at my screens anway. Why do I care? -Idk, I just see a lot of people caring and despite the fact of not caring feel that i have a sense of what a well desinged board looks like. In the end I felt the need to ask some more people like you if feel the same way.

Additionally Jayztwocents recently made a video with a strawpol under it asking if we would rather buy neutral looking gear. I would if the performance wasn't a compromise but it usually is and feel like neutral doesn't meant whatever the hell some of these manufacturers do with their 'neutral' black/white/grey/silver boards.

I would like to know if you guys feel the same about these motherboard or is is just me?

CAUTION, spoiler below is huge.

ASRock AB350 Pro4 - this is more in the bearable range but would still deem this looking a little unorganized. You can't really tell what that stripe is supposed to underline ...

(https://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/ProductImageCompressAll1280/13-157-761-V01.jpg?w=660&h=500)

MSI B350 TOMAHAWK ARCTIC -  Yes it is a nice white tone but this is where the stripe and flag madness starts. Why coulnd't they have gone with something more parallel to just anything on the board. It is still not terrible imo(!) because grey on white is rather subtile. (https://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/ProductImageCompressAll1280/13-144-028-Z03.jpg?w=660&h=500)

Biostar B350GT5 / BIOSTAR X370GT5 - This is where the really terrible ones come in (imo). Now what were they thinking? (https://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/ProductImageCompressAll1280/13-138-445-Z03.jpg?w=660&h=500)

Is this really still cool? I don't think we are living in 2005 anymore: (https://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/nfs/images/5/56/NFSMWVinyls_RaceFlag7.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/640?cb=20151222225714&path-prefix=en)

ASRock X370 Killer SLI/ac - Ok, call it 'Killer' of you want. I still highly doubt anyone is going to buy it for that reason but did you really need to slap on that huge 'K' on an otherwise pretty decent looking motherboard with black white and grey accents. It does not complement the line of the motherboard and generally looks placed comepletly random which is weird.(https://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/ProductImageCompressAll1280/13-157-769-V07.jpg?w=660&h=500)

MSI X370 Krait Gaming Not only the terrible font on the I/O-shield but also the completely random pattern. The pattern spans across motherboard CPU VRM cooling and the I/O-Shield but they didn't think about matching it up with the black and white coloured PCIe slots ... Well done MSI, well done. Also why is the black 'scrathc' on the VRM cooler on the top going at a 90° angle compared to the others, why are the bottom pins framed white when all of the connectors are black, WTF? .... I have no words.  (https://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/ProductImageCompressAll1280/13-144-023-V01.jpg?w=660&h=500)

13-144-023-V01.jpg?w=660&h=500

Asus Prime X370-Pro - Just generally a bit messy design wise. It is defintely not amongst the worst (imo) but I would like to mentiopn it anyway. Although it mostly flows with the lines of the components and doesn't randomly flow through components like the most top right 'scratch' on the MSI that goes through the AM4 socket. I still feel like this is too many tones of colour: Yellow, different grey tones on the ram Slots, the PCIe slots the AM4 socket, components on the board, flashing silver on the VRM cooling, black on the board and black on the RAM slots. (https://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/ProductImageCompressAll1280/13-132-964-V01.jpg?w=660&h=500)

13-132-964-V01.jpg?w=660&h=500

If you are just here to simply the ask me why I care please do me a favor and just ignore this post and move on. I would really like to hear your opinion in this topic though.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

I really do not think these boards are ugly. I think ugly boards are the cheap ones made of random colours, a if all of the plastic parts were scrounged together from spare parts and recycling.

71zaOieS0AL._SL1000_.jpg

13-157-499-01.jpg

Needless to say, I think we've come a long way.

3 hours ago, Ryujin2003 said:

I really do not think these boards are ugly. I think ugly boards are the cheap ones made of random colours, a if all of the plastic parts were scrounged together from spare parts and recycling.

71zaOieS0AL._SL1000_.jpg

13-157-499-01.jpg

Needless to say, I think we've come a long way.

lol the first mobo looks like myne

11 minutes ago, GER_T4IGA said:

I am well aware that this is a highly subjective topic but I just think that some basic principles of design seem to be violently brocken with these motherboard designs.
About my own taste: I am not against colour but I usually prefere something subtile and organized. It might come as a surprise but I don't acctually caer to much about the colour of my stuff. I have a MSI Z77-GD65 which is brown/blue with a mix of 2x Kingston HyperX RAM in blue and 2x Corsair Vengeance LPX with a Gainward GTX 1080 Phoenix (red ...) which I bought for performance and great cooler not the colour. In the back of my Fractal Design Define R4 sits a poop-brown Noctua NF-S12A and I bought windowed sidepanel after the fact. When it is dark I don't see it that much but i will be starring at my screens anway. Why do I care? -Idk, I just see a lot of people caring and despite the fact of not caring feel that i have a sense of what a well desinged board looks like. In the end I felt the need to ask some more people like you if feel the same way.

To be honest the only AM4 boards i like the look of are these: 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-X370-GAMING-PRO-CARBON/dp/B06WWR533P/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1492171660&sr=1-2&keywords=am4+motherboard

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06WXX7DYK/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1492171723&sr=1-3&keywords=am4+motherboard

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GIGABYTE-GA-AX370-Gaming-K5-Socket-Motherboard/dp/B06WWC7BFH/ref=sr_1_12?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1492171723&sr=1-12&keywords=am4+motherboard

The decent looking boards are the most expensive and I don't wanna drop extra cash when I don't require the features. I also whinged last night about how many of them are red.

Worthy of being in the 'shitlist' is the Gigabyte AORUS boards:

51z190quGNL.jpg

Looks like a fucking halloween decoration. RGB LEDs tacked on everywhere. A fucking RGB strip randomly on the side with a strange pattern??

Also the ASUS PRIME B350-PLUS:

51TBNknCNzL.jpg

What the fuck? Red traces, red PCH heatsink, red power delivery heatsinks, it's just fucking disgusting.

Not bad:

MSI PRO: 61IZHEC6xNL.jpg

MSI CARBON:

5167pK9B0UL.jpg

(besides the dog ugly  RGB, it's not bad looking if you have the basic stuff lit up) 

idk

The AM4 boards are mostly cosmetically the same, aside from the socket, as the intel counterparts really.

Aside from some of ASUS's lower offerings, I think motherboards these days look great.

REMILIA Mk.IIIE CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X, Cooler: Arctic Freezer II 240 (Noctua NT-H2), RAM: 4x 8Gb sticks of Patriot Viper Steel Series 3600 CL17, Mobo: AsRock X570 Taichi, GPU: Inno3D RTX 3080 iChill x4 10G, Storage: 1TB Intel 670p NVME SSD boot drive, a few 1TB and 512gb SATA/NVME SSDs for game storage, 6 hard drives 1-4 TB, PSU: Corsair RM750 MY2019, Case: Cooler Master Mastercase 5 MC500 (with add-ons, Noctua NF-A14 and Arctic P14 fans), PCIE Cards: Cheap Chinese Marvell 88SE9215 4 port SATA card, Sonnet Allegro USB3.2 Card Monitors: ViewSonic Elite XG270QC (165hz, 1ms MPRT, 1440p, VA, Freesync PP, pneumatic stand), Hp Z27n (IPS, 60hz, 1440p, 8Ms), iiyama G2530HSU-B (75Hz, Freesync, one in landscape, one in Portrait, all on pneumatic monitor stands).

Mic: iSK UPM-1 USB XLR interface with Neewer NW700, Audio: Sabaj A3 160W DAC/AMP + Wharfdale Diamond 220 + Mission MS6 Sub, ifi Zen DAC v2 + ifi Zen CAN, Littledot Mk.II (w/ Soviet Power tubes and British Mulard M8100s/Soviet Voshkod 6JP-EV/ American General Electric JAN 5654W dependent on mood), Sendy Aiva (Primary), Beyer Dynamic DT990 250ohm Black Special Edition, Audeze EL-8 Open Back, Sennheiser HD598SE (modified to be a headset, snapped headband held together with gorilla tape), Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 600, Keyboard: Glorious GMMK ISO with Mengmoda MMD Tactile (main) and Kailh Box Navy (Function keys), Tribosys 3203 brush lubed, Taihao Green forest caps.

KOAKUMA Mk.IB (24/7 Folding Slave PC made of spare parts): CPU: Core i7 4770, Cooler: Some small antex cooler with 80mm fan, RAM: 2x 4Gb Sticks of 2400Mhz DDR3, Mobo: Asus H81i-Plus, GPU: R9 390 Nitro+ (barely fits in case), Storage: 256gb Korean no-name SATA SSD, PSU: Corsair CX550 (Gray label), Case: Antec ISK600 ITX case. [Given away to friend]

7 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

Worthy of being in the 'shitlist' is the Gigabyte AORUS boards:

51z190quGNL.jpg

Looks like a fucking halloween decoration. RGB LEDs tacked on everywhere. A fucking RGB strip randomly on the side with a strange pattern??

It's actually a decent looking board imo, I bought it sooo, but they did pick the worst colours to showcase the RGB ......

OScyHAS.jpg

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

Just now, stealth80 said:

-snip-

All that bloody white + LEDs must hurt your eyes at night :D:D

Awesome looking build, they did really fuck up by putting orange for the RGB colour.. 

idk

1 minute ago, Droidbot said:

Awesome looking build, they did really fuck up by putting orange for the RGB colour.. 

Thanks, took longer to change to Ryzen than it did to do the original build (fucking sleeving >:()

But ye, wtf they picked a dirty orange. the zones can be lit independent as well so they could have done that to show... .RGB....not just shit orange xD

Ryzen Ram Guide

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

6 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

I actually like the orange.... I would probably changed it to purple if I had it.

20170409_213209.thumb.jpg.c626db8a38b20296ac07f81392eeb5a7.jpg

My MSI X370 Carbon Pro. Haven't really messed with colors and it's lighting yet. A lot of the LED's on these boards get covered up by other components anyways.

4 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

Thanks, took longer to change to Ryzen than it did to do the original build (fucking sleeving >:()

Haha, took longer for my switch since I had to wait for the damned AM4 bracket from Corsair.

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

I actually like the orange.... I would probably changed it to purple if I had it.

Maybe they were trying to appease LTT?

I also think the AsRock Taichi (I can see why some wouldn't like it), MSI gaming pro carbon and the MSI X370 titanium are amongst the best looking X370 boards. The Asrock gaming/fatality are kinda cool as well, but I've spent 3 years trying to get away from red/black, from my original build

Y0O4ayr.jpg

no laughing!!

Ryzen Ram Guide

4 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

-red-

Red makes it go faster!

And you want a fast machine for gaming, riiight?

- every marketing team

I've just never liked the red, I like black/white for contrast. Current system has Black everything and white LEDs on GPU/AIO block. 

idk

Personally I like the biostar boards. That's actually what I'm going to be purchasing for my next build. Plus it has a checkered flag which means more fps. Right?

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

Was hoping Ryzen will get their own design, instead it's a copy and paste job from their Intel boards. Asrock giant K for Killer nic looks ridiculous and MSI Krait. What's with the scratch marks?! Wasn't the Krait logo a snake? Since when does snake have claws? Okay fine snake have claws, so a alligator must have bunny ears, cow hooves, tails from a parrot, and they bark and pant like a dog. 

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list