Warning to Developers on The Creators Update

AlTech

So, I experienced a not very nice time and I thought you guys should know about this.

IF you are running or thinking of running Windows 10 Build 15063 (The Creator's Update) then you should be aware of this issue.

Visual Studio 2017 will not install or update properly on Windows 10 Build 15063 due to the new Windows Defender app treating it like it's a bad program.

You will need to disable Windows Defender to install or update Visual Studio 2017 on Windows 10 Build 15063.

Microsoft's Visual Studio Team is aware of the issue and they appear to be investigating it but for now you'll need to use the workaround.

Thanks for reading.

I hope you have a productive day.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Microsoft antivirus treats Microsoft software on a Microsoft OS as a virus... Makes sense. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

I'm not even sure what to think of that. So if you have Defender turned off it should be fine. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

5 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

I'm not even sure what to think of that. So if you have Defender turned off it should be fine. 

Yes.

The really scummy thing is that Windows Defender never explicitly says that the program is bad. It just silently blocks the VS Installer/Updater from working.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I'm not surprised. I just go with 3rd party anti-virus and I permanently disabled Windows Defender in the Group Policy files...though every time I write a small program my anti-virus treats it as a suspicious file and scans it before I can use it.

if you try to run comodo Internet Security you lose all text in windows explorer, manager and settings. B|

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

And this is why I like to be like a month behind of OS updates when I am actively developing software. Thanks for the heads up.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

On 4/7/2017 at 4:16 PM, AluminiumTech said:

So, I experienced a not very nice time and I thought you guys should know about this.

IF you are running or thinking of running Windows 10 Build 15063 (The Creator's Update) then you should be aware of this issue.

Visual Studio 2017 will not install or update properly on Windows 10 Build 15063 due to the new Windows Defender app treating it like it's a bad program.

You will need to disable Windows Defender to install or update Visual Studio 2017 on Windows 10 Build 15063.

Microsoft's Visual Studio Team is aware of the issue and they appear to be investigating it but for now you'll need to use the workaround.

Thanks for reading.

I hope you have a productive day.

Can't they just contact the Windows Defender devs or Microsoft in general to whitelist the app?

8 hours ago, JohnyTheCarrot said:

Can't they just contact the Windows Defender devs or Microsoft in general to whitelist the app?

No.

10 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

No.

Sure they can.

6 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

Sure they can.

The problem at hand is actually a default setting in Windows Defender which is a pain in the ass to turn off.

The VS team can't ask the Windows Defender Team to do stuff cos they have no authority outside of their team.

19 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

The problem at hand is actually a default setting in Windows Defender which is a pain in the ass to turn off.

The VS team can't ask the Windows Defender Team to do stuff cos they have no authority outside of their team.

true but they can very easily and most likely encouraged to report bugs and issues found in other teams software. Asking them is different than informing them of a problem.

On 4/7/2017 at 7:30 AM, Windows7ge said:

I'm not surprised. I just go with 3rd party anti-virus and I permanently disabled Windows Defender in the Group Policy files...though every time I write a small program my anti-virus treats it as a suspicious file and scans it before I can use it.

I don't trust 3rd party programs (most of them anyway) any more than I trust Windows Defender, but at least Microsoft has a compelling reason to make their anti-malware software actually serviceable.

Mozilla for instance, had a field day when they tested Firefox on systems with certain AV programs to find out the AV program disabled ASLR for Firefox. ASLR is a security feature. So in effect, the AV was making the system less secure.

Also, make sure to update VS 2017 so that you don't run into issues where VS fails to update.

#truestory

1 hour ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I don't trust 3rd party programs (most of them anyway) any more than I trust Windows Defender, but at least Microsoft has a compelling reason to make their anti-malware software actually serviceable.

Mozilla for instance, had a field day when they tested Firefox on systems with certain AV programs to find out the AV program disabled ASLR for Firefox. ASLR is a security feature. So in effect, the AV was making the system less secure.

I've heard of people who run no AV at all. They're just careful when it comes to being on the internet.

On 07/04/2017 at 3:20 PM, bgibbz said:

Microsoft antivirus treats Microsoft software on a Microsoft OS as a virus... Makes sense. 

I've had this for ages, I had a network drive with a ton of Office installers and Windows OS installers.
I connected to the share for like 5 minutes and Windows Defender scanned it and deleted most of that shit.

• 4 weeks later...

I've noticed something about those "bigger" Windows Updates. We use the StyleCop extension in Visual Studio and after the Anniversary Update, none of the installations in our team (about 11) worked and nobody really understood why. Turned out that during those updates, Windows reset most of the system settings including any installation of the .NET Framework 3.5. Microsoft should really get their stuff together :D