Multicopter Megathread

LittleCarrot
3 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

haha its always in mine, was searching for so long :P  was using CC3D & dRonin before than and didn't have any problems with them, but doing a whole fresh build and all that. 

Cool! I would.love to see updates of your build!

18 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

Cool! I would.love to see updates of your build!

will post as soon as FC,VTX and cam arrive :P can't do much without them :P 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

has anyone here built a racing octocopter or hex? it seems like a cool idea but probably not efficient at all xD

I have a friend with the BF F3, but I personally would never run one. I don't like having the pdb mixed into the flight controller, so boards like the OMNIBUS F4 pro V2 are more my style. However I do like the design and layout of the DYS F4 which has a PDB. 

ASU

5 hours ago, Hackentosher said:

I have a friend with the BF F3, but I personally would never run one. I don't like having the pdb mixed into the flight controller, so boards like the OMNIBUS F4 pro V2 are more my style. However I do like the design and layout of the DYS F4 which has a PDB. 

Yeah agree there, I really like the Diatone and Armattan frames with great PDB's built in, just gives the whole build a cleaner look. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

1 minute ago, Not_Sean said:

Yeah agree there, I really like the Diatone and Armattan frames with great PDB's built in, just gives the whole build a cleaner look. 

I use non-OSD Matek PDBs. Never had a problem until I lifted a trace on my first one that I had for over a year. I was fine with replacing it at that point.

ASU

The BF FC Seems most promising

"In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity."
- Albert Einstein

1 hour ago, LittleCarrot said:

The BF FC Seems most promising

People have had good luck with them, my friend being one of them. However I have seen a lot of BF F3s on Keychains especially when the board was first released. They had a lot of qc issues at launch, but it seems everything is fine. 

ASU

I just thought of a really cool idea but I doubt it would work. What if you were to build a standard racing quad but then have another 4 motors mounted upside down on the frame. A 250 sized octocopter. I know it would be super inefficient but would it be fast......

8 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

I just thought of a really cool idea but I doubt it would work. What if you were to build a standard racing quad but then have another 4 motors mounted upside down on the frame. A 250 sized octocopter. I know it would be super inefficient but would it be fast......

Eh, it would be easier just to get a 2407 2500kv, 5051, and 5s.

ASU

1 minute ago, Hackentosher said:

Eh, it would be easier just to get a 2407 2500kv, 5051, and 5s.

But would it be in the same form factor? Also did you see the flite test video where they mounted 2 giant motors and 16 inch props along with the 4 stock motors on a miniquad and flew it around xD 

im getting a really weird issue. i built my quad and everything works. when i put it in betaflight the motors all work and everything appears to be working but when i try and arm it to fly, nothing happens. the reciever light stops flashing like its connected but the motors wont go. help!!!!!

@Hackentosher @LittleCarrot @Not_Sean

6 hours ago, Legolessed said:

im getting a really weird issue. i built my quad and everything works. when i put it in betaflight the motors all work and everything appears to be working but when i try and arm it to fly, nothing happens. the reciever light stops flashing like its connected but the motors wont go. help!!!!!

@Hackentosher @LittleCarrot @Not_Sean

Have you selected the right receiver protocol? What happens in the input tab when you mess with the sticks on your radio? 

ASU

11 hours ago, Hackentosher said:

Have you selected the right receiver protocol? What happens in the input tab when you mess with the sticks on your radio? 

Nothing. It's weird xD

48 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

I'm using afds 2 on my fs-a8s and on my transmitter. I'm also using the uart 2 solder holes on BETAFPV F3 EVO Whoop Brushed Flight Controller (NO Receiver Version) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071LPK9FT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_ZbCqzbR0XV1VQ

I am using the sbus wire on my reciever, not the ppm.

Is your receiver powered? 

ASU

So I built a Tiny Whoop about a month ago with an AcroWhoop v2 FC with the FrSky receiver. Recently I've been having an intermittent issue where occassionally when I am getting ready to fly the whoop will receive delayed commands from my transmitter (Turnigy 9x flashed with openTx and an FrSky Djt module). I connected it to BetaFlight and checked the reciever tab and saw all the channels bouncing all over the place from center (1500). If I arm it the whoop will idle but after disarming the whoop will remain armed for a few seconds. Re binding seems to fix the issue but it always comes back. Any Idea what causes this?

9 hours ago, Silverwolf_7 said:

So I built a Tiny Whoop about a month ago with an AcroWhoop v2 FC with the FrSky receiver. Recently I've been having an intermittent issue where occassionally when I am getting ready to fly the whoop will receive delayed commands from my transmitter (Turnigy 9x flashed with openTx and an FrSky Djt module). I connected it to BetaFlight and checked the reciever tab and saw all the channels bouncing all over the place from center (1500). If I arm it the whoop will idle but after disarming the whoop will remain armed for a few seconds. Re binding seems to fix the issue but it always comes back. Any Idea what causes this?

If rebinding helps, my bet is the receiver. However, I would also suspect the DJT module as it's not as new or as nice as an XJT or better yet, an actual Taranis. The QX7 is $100, which I believe is cheaper than a 9xr + module setup. 

ASU

Should I just get a flight controller without an integrated receiver? It would save on weight and prevent this from happening, right? Or I should there an advantage to external receivers?

2 hours ago, Legolessed said:

Should I just get a flight controller without an integrated receiver? It would save on weight and prevent this from happening, right? Or I should there an advantage to external receivers?

I've been wainting to try those FC's with the intergrated ones, really like the idea of it as its compact for a tiny build but thats the issue one thing goes adn its replace the whole thing. Why i'l sticking to 200+ size for a while, easier to change out parts.

GL man

Redstone:

Obsidian:

47 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

I've been wainting to try those FC's with the intergrated ones, really like the idea of it as its compact for a tiny build but thats the issue one thing goes adn its replace the whole thing. Why i'l sticking to 200+ size for a while, easier to change out parts.

GL man

Thanks. I have the same mindset that's why I had an external receiver but now I'm not sure. I can't find any for under $30 with motor plugs that has less than a month shipping.

4 hours ago, Legolessed said:

Eh, I wouldn't. Any crappy receiver à manufacturer is going to put on a flight controller isn't going to perform as well as a standalone receiver. Except maybe that fr-sky F3 thing. 

ASU

10 hours ago, Hackentosher said:

Eh, I wouldn't. Any crappy receiver à manufacturer is going to put on a flight controller isn't going to perform as well as a standalone receiver. Except maybe that fr-sky F3 thing. 

But these sub 100mm quads aren't going out that far anyway, especially brushed.

10 hours ago, Hackentosher said:

Is there any way to connect my flysky ia6 receiver to uart 2 solder holes just for testing or maybe permanently? To see what the problem is