Multicopter Megathread

LittleCarrot
16 hours ago, Legolessed said:

Ok I just found an old brushed fc that I flashed with the newest version of betaflight and it works great!! Now I just need a receiver for my micro and I'm done. I need something flysky compatible but I don't know whether this board supports sbus. It's the beta fpv board with no receiver. BETAFPV F3 EVO Whoop Brushed Flight Controller (NO Receiver Version) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071LPK9FT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_qXCxzbAVTMB8H

looks like people are combing it with the Flysky FS-A8S 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

2 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

looks like people are combing it with the Flysky FS-A8S 

Ya. I've heard that there's been some problems between betaflight and sbus though :(. Also how do I connect my fa-i6 to betaflight to set up the arming switch and mode change? I'm a noob, sorry :(

1 hour ago, Legolessed said:

Ya. I've heard that there's been some problems between betaflight and sbus though :(. Also how do I connect my fa-i6 to betaflight to set up the arming switch and mode change? I'm a noob, sorry :(

I'll let Hacken take this one, I'm also new to beta and my FC was super simple to wire up, But I'm sunning beta and ibus with a IA6C no issues. 

I've always used dRonin instead of beta/clean flight

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

12 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

I'll let Hacken take this one, I'm also new to beta and my FC was super simple to wire up, But I'm sunning beta and ibus with a IA6C no issues. 

I've always used dRonin instead of beta/clean flight

Ah. Is there some way to convert the holes on the betafpv board into the correct distance apart to fit a service connector on them or should I just solder the wires into the holes

50 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

Ah. Is there some way to convert the holes on the betafpv board into the correct distance apart to fit a service connector on them or should I just solder the wires into the holes

I've done the wire into the holes and soldered that way but many was scary my first few tries, but so worth learning as all future builds you'll be able to Unpin boards and direct solder with confidence. 

Redstone:

Obsidian:

38 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

I've done the wire into the holes and soldered that way but many was scary my first few tries, but so worth learning as all future builds you'll be able to Unpin boards and direct solder with confidence. 

One question. Is there any way to plug a full sized fs-iA6 receiver into a uart 2 solder hole? Basically, could I use the fs-iA6 with the betafpv flight controller?

3 hours ago, Legolessed said:

Sbus to betaflight? Sbus is the most popular protocol, there are no issues and if there were, they would be ironed out very quickly. The only issue I could think of is that sbus is an inverted protocol, so you have to connect it to an inverted UART for it to work. Ibus is a different story, I could never get it to work on my first F4 board, but that board was weird. I believe ibus is uninverted but idk.

43 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

One question. Is there any way to plug a full sized fs-iA6 receiver into a uart 2 solder hole? Basically, could I use the fs-iA6 with the betafpv flight controller?

FS-iA6 doesn't tell me what the receiver is. There's the iA6A, iA6B, iA6C, which one?

ASU

47 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

Sbus to betaflight? Sbus is the most popular protocol, there are no issues and if there were, they would be ironed out very quickly. The only issue I could think of is that sbus is an inverted protocol, so you have to connect it to an inverted UART for it to work. Ibus is a different story, I could never get it to work on my first F4 board, but that board was weird. I believe ibus is uninverted but idk.

FS-iA6 doesn't tell me what the receiver is. There's the iA6A, iA6B, iA6C, which one?

Ok, I thought there was an sbus problem. Sorry. This one FlySky FS-iA6 2.4G 6CH AFHDS Receiver For FS-i10 FS-i6 Transmitter
https://banggood.app.link/uRBKTrrIzE

4 hours ago, Legolessed said:

Ok, I thought there was an sbus problem. Sorry. This one FlySky FS-iA6 2.4G 6CH AFHDS Receiver For FS-i10 FS-i6 Transmitter
https://banggood.app.link/uRBKTrrIzE

that's the 6a, it doesn't have a serial output. I made the same mistake when I first built my quad, but you need a PWM connection which is one wire per channel.

ASU

1 minute ago, Hackentosher said:

that's the 6a, it doesn't have a serial output. I made the same mistake when I first built my quad, but you need a PWM connection which is one wire per channel.

Ah. Would this one work? FlySky FS-R6B 2.4Ghz 6CH AFHDS Receiver for fs i6 i10 T6 CT6B TH9x 
https://banggood.app.link/IQ6z5YO2zE

Or is there a way to use ppm with the first receiver on the beta fpv fc? Or is there any way to use those two recievers for the quad?

4 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

Ah. Would this one work? FlySky FS-R6B 2.4Ghz 6CH AFHDS Receiver for fs i6 i10 T6 CT6B TH9x 
https://banggood.app.link/IQ6z5YO2zE

Or is there a way to use ppm with the first receiver on the beta fpv fc? Or is there any way to use those two recievers for the quad?

That's basically the same thing. You need an IA6B or an IA6C receiver.

ASU

Just now, Hackentosher said:

That's basically the same thing. You need an IA6B or an IA6C receive.

Ok, so no ppm. Alright this one has pwm/ibus connections right? Flysky 2.4G 6CH FS-iA6B Receiver PPM Output With iBus Port 
https://banggood.app.link/k8S5zGp3zE

Also I'm thinking of using these rather than the fs-a8s cause I can use the ia6 reciever for other projects as well 

2 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

Ok, so no ppm. Alright this one has pwm/ibus connections right? Flysky 2.4G 6CH FS-iA6B Receiver PPM Output With iBus Port 
https://banggood.app.link/k8S5zGp3zE

Also I'm thinking of using these rather than the fs-a8s cause I can use the ia6 reciever for other projects as well 

Yeah that. Don't use PPM it has a 90ms latency. Also I would use the X6B or the Ia6c because they're smaller.

ASU

2 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

Yeah that. Don't use PPM it has a 90ms latency. Also I would use the X6B or the Ia6c because they're smaller.

K. And how do I connect them.to the uart two solder hole.

Just now, Legolessed said:

K. And how do I connect them.to the uart two solder hole.

connect ibus signal to an uninverted UART RX port.

ASU

3 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

connect ibus signal to an uninverted UART RX port.

So it's just that one wire. But with pwm won't I only get 3 channels through if I only use 1 wire? Sorry I'm asking so many questions

So it's just that one wire. But with pwm won't I only get 3 channels through if I only use 1 wire?

PWM is one wire per channel. Most flight controllers don't support that protocol anymore.

ASU

PWM is one wire per channel. Most flight controllers don't support that protocol anymore.

Ok. Cool thanks. So I can go with the ia6b or the other two and connect the ibus wire direct to the uart 2 solder hole. Thank you so much!!!!!!! if I set my switches up in betaflight without my transmitter connected will they work?

Ok. Cool thanks. So I can go with the ia6b or the other two and connect the ibus wire direct to the uart 2 solder hole. Thank you so much!!!!!!! if I set my switches up in betaflight without my transmitter connected will they work?

Setting up those inputs in betaflight just tells the flight controller to listen to those channels. So setting ARM to Aux 1 will tell it to arm when channel 5 is fiddled with. 

ASU

Setting up those inputs in betaflight just tells the flight controller to listen to those channels. So setting ARM to Aux 1 will tell it to arm when channel 5 is fiddled with. 

Ok. Thank you so much for your help!!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2017 at 6:46 AM, Legolessed said:

Is there any way to connect my flysky ia6 receiver to uart 2 solder holes just for testing or maybe permanently? To see what the problem is

Yes you can

"In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity."
- Albert Einstein

On 7/15/2017 at 0:42 AM, LittleCarrot said:

Yes you can

How? It doesn't have ibus or pwm ports, just the servo connectors.

1 hour ago, Legolessed said:

How? It doesn't have ibus or pwm ports, just the servo connectors.

It's not going to be labeled ibus. You have to connect the ibus pin on your receiver to an uninverted  UART RX pin on the flight controller. 

ASU

3 hours ago, Hackentosher said:

It's not going to be labeled ibus. You have to connect the ibus pin on your receiver to an uninverted  UART RX pin on the flight controller. 

ah. alright

So how your guys builds going ? Lets get some pics. 

My new TyrantS never even got to maiden :( finished setting it up and when I removed the USB the header came with it, So been given a refund, and got a new one without the SD card on the way, that way i can run dRonin instead of Betaflight, and got a proper one this time, not a banggood special :P 

Also got a mate here who's going to try re seat the USB header. 

Redstone:

Obsidian: