Multicopter Megathread

LittleCarrot
19 minutes ago, marten.aap2.0 said:

I already have an action cam (sjcam sj4000), I only need things like the frame, controller, motors, etc.

Look, if you want something that flies well and is a stable but powerful platform, you need to buy purpose built electronics that unfortunately cost a bit more than $100. Sure UAVfutures built a race quad for $100, but that's not including a radio, goggles, or most importantly, batteries. You can't just slap an arduino on a $10 450 frame from hobby king and expect a proper aerial filming aircraft. 

ASU

Oh yeah, i should post my builds up here :D these are my two mad hatters, both run almost the same hardware (unify pro V2, OMNIBUS pro V2, Matek PDB, fpv cams with gopro lenses), except for the motors and ESCs. The blue led one (it's supposed to be blue anyway) runs rs2205 2300s and dys xs20s, the white led one runs T-motor F40 pro 2400s with speedix ESCs. The white one is a beast, but it's been giving me some issues :/

IMG_4171.thumb.JPG.e551426389ea3777517d167b0e9bd2af.JPGIMG_4164.thumb.JPG.7aff70b2f01704939ede7406f3f2813a.JPG

ASU

15 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

Look, if you want something that flies well and is a stable but powerful platform, you need to buy purpose built electronics that unfortunately cost a bit more than $100. Sure UAVfutures built a race quad for $100, but that's not including a radio, goggles, or most importantly, batteries. You can't just slap an arduino on a $10 450 frame from hobby king and expect a proper aerial filming aircraft. 

I'm a starter in the "drone"-world, I don't need something like a $5000 octocopter, when I want to start with real amazing quallity filming, I can buy a better multicopter.

"Aeneas troianus est."

I'm allergic to social interaction in real life, don't talk to me in real life please.

don't forget to quote or tag (@marten.aap2.0) me when you reply!

2 hours ago, marten.aap2.0 said:

I'm a starter in the "drone"-world, I don't need something like a $5000 octocopter, when I want to start with real amazing quallity filming, I can buy a better multicopter.

I'm not saying spend a million dollars on your rig, but for $100 you can only get cheap crap as far as AP goes. 

ASU

On 3/30/2017 at 9:09 PM, Hackentosher said:

I've done some digging online and found a lot of people making gimbals using 9 gram servos. Can I use servos for my gimbal? Just for a 1 or 2 axis gimbal? I don't need a great gimbal I just don't want to see the ground when I'm going forward. Can you use servos to make a quadcopter gimbal?

9 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

I've done some digging online and found a lot of people making gimbals using 9 gram servos. Can I use servos for my gimbal? Just for a 1 or 2 axis gimbal? I don't need a great gimbal I just don't want to see the ground when I'm going forward. Can you use servos to make a quadcopter gimbal?

I mean it would be more for pan and tilt and less than stabilization, but yeah you could do it.

ASU

9 hours ago, Hackentosher said:

I mean it would be more for pan and tilt and less than stabilization, but yeah you could do it.

could i have it automatically compensate for pan and tilt or no

37 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

could i have it automatically compensate for pan and tilt or no

Idk, if you throw enough arduino and money at anything, it'll work. 

ASU

Putting a Gymbal on racing quad would be soo cool

"In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity."
- Albert Einstein

18 minutes ago, LittleCarrot said:

Putting a Gymbal on racing quad would be soo cool

A guy in my fpv group did it, it's pretty damn cool. 

I wana do this on a 6" 6s F80 build. Probably would need like 40 amp ESCs xD

ASU

I was able to get permission to fly at my schools old soccer field during school hours.

- Albert Einstein

2 minutes ago, LittleCarrot said:

I was able to get permission to fly at my schools old soccer field during school hours.

Nice man, I've been flying in a leveled house opposite me, Gives me things to fly around. But man was having a real pain with the VR D2 headset I have. 

Already planning my first bigboy build. Going for 1806 2300 to 2205's, realy 20a Dshot ESC's and now to decide on the frame.

Just now, LittleCarrot said:

If you need help with building quads or questions about quads I  recommend going to the mega thread since a couple of users a subscribed there.

Is this your first quad?

Was already replying :P 

my First build was a ZMR250 with flysky FS-T6 and emax motors and crappy 12a ESC's, broken so much of it already. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

Just now, Not_Sean said:

snip

Are you set on building? The eachine wizard is an amazing quad. If you have money left over you can upgrade the FPV system on it. Since the wizard has a crappy one. 

What issues are you have with your fpv goggles?

What is your radio?

- Albert Einstein

@LittleCarrot Guess we should start a format :P 

Frame:

Flight Controller:
FC Software:

Motors:

ESCs:

PDB:

Reciever:

Radio:

FPV

VTX:

Camera:
Headset:

So for me. 

Frame: ZMR 250

Flight Controller: CC3D 
FC Software: dRonin

Motors: emax 1806 2300kv

ESCs: Cheapy 12a

PDB: Generic

Reciever: FlySky FS-R6B

Radio: FlySky FS-T6

FPV

VTX: eachine TS5823
VTX Antenna: DYS Omni 

Camera: Generic 600TVL old board Style
Headset: Eachine VR D2 

Heatset Antenna: Standard VR D2 ones. 

seems to just be a combo of Crappy Antenna on the Headset and crappy VTX. Going with the VTX03 eachine. seen top level races saying good things about it. for Antenna already got some Farview Pagoda's on the way. will keep you updated. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

@Not_Sean

Your goggles are not good, they're great. That radio is something I would change. I would get one of these(1st being the best):

1. FrSky ACCST Taranis Q X7 ($110)
  2. Flysky FS-i6X 2.4GHz 10CH ($43.99)
  3. Turnigy Evolution ($67.20)

Getting one of those radios will let you almost be able to buy any ready to BNF quad from Banggood. Have you thought into getting into the very small brushless? You can fly those more spaces due to their small size?

- Albert Einstein

@LittleCarrot I will defs build a little brushless one soon. And yeah I'm going for the Evo. Love it for what I'll be doing and part of the xbox generation so its perfect for me.

I jumped the gun buying it and got a really shit package off ebay now dealing with it.  So bought this (Kingkong) set as kept'd breaking the horrible emax motors. now its sitting here and want to do a build with some selected parts. think my next buy before the frame will be the Evo. Got a mate getting into it, So thinking he'll grab my ZMR whole setup (Except headset) and I'll get new drone and go up to 4S

Redstone:

Obsidian:

@Not_Sean EMAX is usually has good motors. I currently have a set of RS2205's going into my back quad. My 180.

@Hackentosher Can I connect two receiver to one fc?

- Albert Einstein

2 minutes ago, LittleCarrot said:

@Not_Sean EMAX is usually has good motors. I currently have a set of RS2205's going into my back quad. My 180.

@Hackentosher Can I connect two receiver to one fc?

Emax's new motors are good lol. Older ones, not so much. I run rs2205 2300s on my working build and t-motor on my non working one :D

No. 

ASU

Just now, Hackentosher said:

Emax's new motors are good lol. Older ones, not so much. I run rs2205 2300s on my working build and t-motor on my non working one :D

No. 

What would be the issue? I was thinking of switching the input in betaflight when my friend wants to use my quad.

- Albert Einstein

6 minutes ago, LittleCarrot said:

What would be the issue? I was thinking of switching the input in betaflight when my friend wants to use my quad.

Well not at the same time, why doesn't your friend just use your radio and setup a rate profile set to a switch?

ASU

Oh completely agree that emax do make good motors, but these are the one's i got bundled and not impressed with the quality. had to many give issues.  

Redstone:

Obsidian:

On 4/4/2017 at 1:14 PM, Not_Sean said:

Oh completely agree that emax do make good motors, but these are the one's i got bundled and not impressed with the quality. had to many give issues.  

My friend's very first build used the 2204 version of those. They're actually not too bad. Prop shaft is too short for a proper(hehe, puns) prop nut, but they took a face first nose dive when I tried to pull off a backflip on like 60 degree/second rates. Yes, probably actually that low. For reference, betaflight stock is like 670 deg/s and I ran around 1000 at that point (1330 now) 

ASU

Just now, Hackentosher said:

My friend's very first build used the 2204 version of those. They're actually not too bad. Prop shaft is too short for a proper(hehe, puns) prop nut, but they took a face first nose dive when I tried to pull off a backflip on like 60 degree/second rates. Yes, probably actually that low. For reference, betaflight stock is like 670 deg/s and I ran around 1000 at that point (1330 now) 

You lost me after backflip :) 

Redstone:

Obsidian:

1 hour ago, Not_Sean said:

You lost me after backflip :) 

Rates are how fast the multirotor can change orientation on a specific axis, measured in degrees per second, pretty self explanatory. A rate of say 60 degrees per second would mean it would take 6 seconds to go full circle. I made it about half way around, then the quad went face first into the ground. My quad at this time ran something close to 1000 degrees per second thus making a roll or flip nice and snappy. 

ASU

@Hackentosher I need to go have a look at my rates, I've been using dRonin after having issues with cleanflight and after the Autotune its been flying great, little to non oscillation so haven't had any need to play with settings. 

Redstone:

Obsidian: