Prospective new Ryzen build (will be Ryzen 5)

Kierlan

Hey folks, 

So after realizing the other day that the core of my current system was built in 2010 I thought it might be time for an upgrade.. and since I have a thing for underdogs (and lower prices) I thought I might give the new AMD line a try, I also found Linus's "preview" of the theoretical Ryzen 5 to be quite interesting so I'm putting together a rough outline for a system I'll build in October/November.

I'd really like some thougths and feedback on any obvious problems that I may have missed or potential performance problems I may encounter.

Its also worth noting that I plan to stick to 1080p dual monitors (probably not going to replace them yet)

PCPartPicker part list: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/tm9fCy
Price breakdown by merchant: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/tm9fCy/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  (£316.79 @ Amazon UK) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-AB350M-Gaming 3 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£91.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LED 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (£122.34 @ Amazon UK) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LED 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (£122.34 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Intel 600p Series 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  (£178.00 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB XXX OC  Video Card  (£227.38 @ Amazon UK) 
Case: Corsair Air 240 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  (£86.96 @ Amazon UK) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£83.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit 
Total: £1229.79

8 minutes ago, Kierlan said:

Hey folks, 

So after realizing the other day that the core of my current system was built in 2010 I thought it might be time for an upgrade.. and since I have a thing for underdogs (and lower prices) I thought I might give the new AMD line a try, I also found Linus's "preview" of the theoretical Ryzen 5 to be quite interesting so I'm putting together a rough outline for a system I'll build in October/November.

I'd really like some thougths and feedback on any obvious problems that I may have missed or potential performance problems I may encounter.

Its also worth noting that I plan to stick to 1080p dual monitors (probably not going to replace them yet)

Looks good imo EDIT: only 512gb of storage?

Ryzen 5 3600

RX 590 8GB 

WD Blue 1TB

(full specs on profile)

Don't get 4 dims or ram. It will lower your memory speed and ryzen gains quite a bit of performance with memory speeds. I would stick to 2 dims or ram unless the memory issue is fixed to the point where you can get 4 dims running at 3000mhz no problem. 

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

Don't get 4 dims or ram. It will lower your memory speed and ryzen gains quite a bit of performance with memory speeds. I would stick to 2 dims or ram unless the memory issue is fixed to the point where you can get 4 dims running at 3000mhz no problem. 

You're absolutely right and I was thinking about that when specing it out, however I am going to hope that by october/novermber enough firmware, bios and microcode patches have been released for that issue to have been resolved :) 

Just now, Kierlan said:

You're absolutely right and I was thinking about that when specing it out, however I am going to hope that by october/novermber enough firmware, bios and microcode patches have been released for that issue to have been resolved :) 

I hope so too. They will definitely get 2 dims to run at those speeds on all motherboards but maybe not 4 dims so I would keep updated

Have you checked to make sure the RAM is in the motherboards compatibility list? Seems to be a crucial thing for Ryzen.

Other than that, looks good. I gather you're not building for a bit? Might be worth waiting to see what Vega brings.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just now, dizmo said:

Have you checked to make sure the RAM is in the motherboards compatibility list? Seems to be a crucial thing for Ryzen.

Other than that, looks good. I gather you're not building for a bit? Might be worth waiting to see what Vega brings.

Hm good point I'll have to check ram, though its not quite the issue it used to be back in the day :D 

Hm, is VEGA a new line of GPUs or something from INTEL ?

2 minutes ago, Kierlan said:

Hm good point I'll have to check ram, though its not quite the issue it used to be back in the day :D 

Hm, is VEGA a new line of GPUs or something from INTEL ?

Haha with Ryzen people have had massive issues with RAM that wasn't validated.

Vega is AMDs next line of GPUs. I think they're supposed to have refreshes of the 480 and they're coming out rather soon IIRC.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Vega is AMDs next line of GPUs. I think they're supposed to have refreshes of the 480 and they're coming out rather soon IIRC.

I know the safest bet for ram is Corsair Vengeance LPX as that's what the reviewers used. I know that's what I bought for my r7 system because I was afraid of compatibility issues. 

14 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Gotcha, speaking for myself I tend to stay about 1 generation behind the cutting edge. The performance gains are usually minimal and the games I want to play are usually just fine even without the latest and greatest :)

I'll look into LPX memory, I was thinking of getting something with LEDs to match the Red/Black theme going on in the case :)

19 minutes ago, Kierlan said:

Gotcha, speaking for myself I tend to stay about 1 generation behind the cutting edge. The performance gains are usually minimal and the games I want to play are usually just fine even without the latest and greatest :)

I'll look into LPX memory, I was thinking of getting something with LEDs to match the Red/Black theme going on in the case :)

I wouldn't pay toooo much extra for LEDs...you can just get strips to light up the case.
Now, if it's the plasma RAM, that stuff's pretty awesome.

I do too, I usually buy my processors quite cheap from people that get them through the Retail Edge program. Save many hundreds of dollars that way, plus CPUs progress so slowly that the difference is hardly noticeable.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

23 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I wouldn't pay toooo much extra for LEDs...you can just get strips to light up the case.
Now, if it's the plasma RAM, that stuff's pretty awesome.

I do too, I usually buy my processors quite cheap from people that get them through the Retail Edge program. Save many hundreds of dollars that way, plus CPUs progress so slowly that the difference is hardly noticeable.

What the hecks is a retail edge program and how do i take advantage of it ? I assume its probably something US based?

8 hours ago, Kierlan said:

What the hecks is a retail edge program and how do i take advantage of it ? I assume its probably something US based?

It's for employees at retail outlets that sell Intel products. Basically you prove you know what you're talking about, and they give you huge, huge discounts on CPUs.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

Ahh.... so retail shills :D yeah we probably don't have that here but nifty to know about.