PS4 1080P 60FPS requirement?

orangecat

Can anybody confirm if this is true I haven't really been following the new generation of consoles but I herd somewhere that all games that run on PS4 will require them to run in full HD and at 60FPS.

http://ps4daily.com/2013/05/sony-aiming-for-1080p-and-60-fps-with-all-playstation-4-games/

I dont think this is the case. I think i read about some games running at 900p rather 1080p. The 60fps could be accurate though.

|i5 3570k @4.4Ghz | Asus Maximus V Gene | 8gb Corsair XMS3 | 2 x MSI HD7970 OC @ 1175mhz | 512gb Crucial M4 | Corsair AX750 | Fractal Design Define Mini | Dell P2416D 

No, not all games are at 1080p 60fps

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

I dont think this is the case. I think i read about some games running at 900p rather 1080p. The 60fps could be accurate though.

I will only buy a PS4 if they guarantee the games run at 60FPS i'm not putting up with another BF3 on PS3.

No, not all games are at 1080p 60fps

I hope that isn't true games start off looking good and running good until devs push the graphics and you get a game that looks crap because of the low resolution and terrible framerate.

That was for the Xbox One according to both Linus and Slick.(They could be wrong or maybe it applies to the PS4 as well)

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Can anybody confirm if this is true I haven't really been following the new generation of consoles but I herd somewhere that all games that run on PS4 will require them to run in full HD and at 60FPS.

That's the target, BF4 is running at 900p 60fps though.

I will only buy a PS4 if they guarantee the games run at 60FPS i'm not putting up with another BF3 on PS3.

That was for the Xbox One according to both Linus and Slick.(They could be wrong or maybe it applies to the PS4 as well)

Link to an article about BF4: http://www.worldsfactory.net/2013/10/27/battlefield-4-run-900p-ps4

|i5 3570k @4.4Ghz | Asus Maximus V Gene | 8gb Corsair XMS3 | 2 x MSI HD7970 OC @ 1175mhz | 512gb Crucial M4 | Corsair AX750 | Fractal Design Define Mini | Dell P2416D 

I hope that isn't true games start off looking good and running good until devs push the graphics and you get a game that looks crap because of the low resolution and terrible framerate.

Well there is the whole optimization thing. Games might not be at 1080p but over time they will look better and better.

With launch titles, you have to remember that these games start development before the xbox and ps hardware has been decided. S you don't know much about the hardware, you just have a general idea. Games released 2 years from now will look substantially better. Plus who knows, they much clean the code up and optimize it after launch and raise the resolution up a little bit. I know that happened with 1 360 games near it's released.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

you do know ur gaming on a console right. you get what you pay buddy

A $4-500 purchase that can play games for 8+ years, Dam your right that's an amazing deal. They are worth the money depending on what games you like.

No that isn't true. For example, dead rising 3 will run at 30 fps, 720p.

| 5820k+EK supremacy nickel+acetal white 4.5Ghz | X99 Deluxe | Enthoo Luxe | 2x gtx780+komod NV full cover block | Corsair AX1200i | WD blue 500gb |

Kingston V300 120gb | Samsung 840 Evo 500gb| Bitspower D5 vario+Res combo | primochill advanced LRT tubing (Solid White) |

| Alphacool Nexxos MONSTA dual 120mm Black Ice nemesis GTX360 triple 120mm | Noctua NF-F12 X4 | Bitspower true silver 1/2ID 3/4 OD compressions (various angles) |

A $4-500 purchase that can play games for 8+ years, Dam your right that's an amazing deal. They are worth the money depending on what games you like.

exactly my point :)

I prefer PC but once in a while I like to play on consoles. I get that yea the consoles are cheap but I expect them to still run games at a good playable framerate even if requires them to drop the graphics.

No that isn't true. For example, dead rising 3 will run at 30 fps, 720p.

That's the Xbox.

That's the Xbox.

I'm pretty sure that's for both consoles. I may just remember wrong though, if you have the link to the article I would appreciate that. Also I don't think it makes sense since they are almost identical in terms of hardware last time I checked. If I remember correctly the PS4's GPU is just clocked a little higher.

| 5820k+EK supremacy nickel+acetal white 4.5Ghz | X99 Deluxe | Enthoo Luxe | 2x gtx780+komod NV full cover block | Corsair AX1200i | WD blue 500gb |

Kingston V300 120gb | Samsung 840 Evo 500gb| Bitspower D5 vario+Res combo | primochill advanced LRT tubing (Solid White) |

| Alphacool Nexxos MONSTA dual 120mm Black Ice nemesis GTX360 triple 120mm | Noctua NF-F12 X4 | Bitspower true silver 1/2ID 3/4 OD compressions (various angles) |

I'm pretty sure that's for both consoles. I may just remember wrong though, if you have the link to the article I would appreciate that. Also I don't think it makes sense since they are almost identical in terms of hardware last time I checked. If I remember correctly the PS4's GPU is just clocked a little higher.

Dead Rising 3 is an Xbox exclusive... nope PS4 has GDDR5 Memory, 18 compute units, 32 ROPS while Xbox One has DDR3, 12 compute units and 16 ROPS. PS4 has way more horsepower no matter what Microsoft tells you and it also appears developers are finding PS4 much more friendly to develop.

Dead Rising 3 is an Xbox exclusive... nope PS4 has GDDR5 Memory, 18 compute units, 32 ROPS while Xbox One has DDR3, 12 compute units and 16 ROPS. PS4 has way more horsepower no matter what Microsoft tells you and it also appears developers are finding PS4 much more friendly to develop.

You can see I don't follow consoles lol. Thanks for clearing that up.

Not just Microsoft, but Ars Technica and just about every developer who's got their hands on a unit says that in terms of real world performance they're very similar. The difference has been Microsoft has obviously built the Xbox One as a more general purpose multimedia device.

On the whole GDDR5 & DDR3 thing, people don't seem to understand that while GDDR5 is faster, it's only faster for graphical applications and cannot be used for general RAM storage. DDR3 on the other hand can do both and the Xbox One like the Xbox 360 does dynamic allocation between the CPU & GPU, which gives developers more flexibility in their memory allocation. While the PS4, like the PS3 has a set limit for both the GDDR5 memory and general purpose RAM because you can't do those sort of on-the-fly allocations that you can do with integrated memory.

In terms of actually developing for the consoles? Microsoft has had a more complete toolset for years, with DirectX and all the tools for that. Sony however, opted for a more incomplete but more standards-friendly approach by leveraging OpenGL.

These comparisons always occur with new generation consoles and the point is always moot (It sometimes matters at the end of the console lifecycle, but even then it doesn't factor much into publisher's decisions about their games), developers always set performance standards against the slowest of the two which at least for the Xbox 360 & Playstation 3 was inconsistent amongst each game.

people don't seem to understand that while GDDR5 is faster, it's only faster for graphical applications and cannot be used for general RAM storage.

Uh, what? If it can't be used for general RAM storage, then where is the general storage that usually goes to the RAM going to then?

Also, both consoles are running APU's, we have known for years that APU's perform better graphical wise when they have faster memory.

I guarantee you that the PS4 will pull ahead very early on in this console war(and it's pretty apparent right now as well).