Cyanogen refuses opportunity to make the nintendo switch os

spartaman64

This is probably why sociopath CEO's do so well, they look for opportunities no matter how good/bad they are as long as they advance the company. I can't see how making an OS for Nintendo would have been bad for them at all

15 hours ago, KuJoe said:

I always thought that CyanogenMod was made by a bunch of volunteer hobbyists, this news that it's an actual company with actual employees is the most interesting part of the story for me. :) Doing a search for that Kirt guy though makes it look like he was trying everything he could to run the company into the ground, I feel bad for the other co-founder.

EDIT: I should have kept reading, looks like the company closed up shop last December.

the main cyanogenmod is by a company but many repositories are done by hobbyists. so if you got cyanogenmod as a custom rom it was probably made by a hobbyist 

My guess is that cyanogenmod, a team that strives to reduces barriers in software, wasn't going to be happy building a nintendo OS. Apple's MacOS and iOS seem like the wide open plains of the praries in comparison to nintendo's offerings.

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

1 minute ago, Swatson said:

My guess is that cyanogenmod, a team that strives to reduces barriers in software, wasn't going to be happy building a nintendo OS. Apple's MacOS and iOS seem like the wide open plains of the praries in comparison to nintendo's offerings.

but its not a os for a PC where you want to be able to do all these different things. it has one purpose and that is to run the functions of the console like the software for a printer or something

Just now, spartaman64 said:

but its not a os for a PC where you want to be able to do all these different things. it has one purpose and that is to run the functions of the console like the software for a printer or something

Exactly, cyanogenmod isnt known for making that type of software

AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

Just now, Swatson said:

Exactly, cyanogenmod isnt known for making that type of software

so it would be easier than what they typically do

7 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

so it would be easier than what they typically do

it's not always about the difficulty, perhaps they just dont like making software like that

Just now, Swatson said:

it's always about the difficulty, perhaps they just dont like making software like that

the coding isn't too different they just have to worry about fewer variables. they refused not because they had an issue with the software but because of their own ego and they would be in a better position with the company if they had accepted

1 minute ago, spartaman64 said:

the coding isn't too different they just have to worry about fewer variables. they refused not because they had an issue with the software but because of their own ego and they would be in a better position with the company if they had accepted

again, it being less or more different to code isnt the thing I'm talking about. Maybe they just do not value locked down software and prefer FOSS ideals?

Or maybe they just dont like nintendo, because they are honestly pretty scummy in a lot of ways?

4 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

My mistake I forgot to put the word "not" infront of always, i just edited it

6 minutes ago, Swatson said:

again, it being less or more different to code isnt the thing I'm talking about. Maybe they just do not value locked down software and prefer FOSS ideals?

Or maybe they just dont like nintendo, because they are honestly pretty scummy in a lot of ways?

i dont get the locked down software argument as its a console what do you want? other companies to be able to develop game cartridges for it? but yes they obviously dont like nintendo but you cant run a business with that attitude and telling people to stick it in a professional environment is just a pointless attempt at being edgy

3 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

i dont get the locked down software argument as its a console what do you want? other companies to be able to develop game cartridges for it? but yes they obviously dont like nintendo

Just because it's a console and therefore will be locked down doesnt mean you would throw away your ideals just to make it, right? You could for instance decline and allow someone else to make it, like cyanogenmod did.

Edit: Add in a bit of ego and you get the "stick it" line, but effectively the same thing as declining.

2 minutes ago, Swatson said:

Just because it's a console and therefore will be locked down doesnt mean you would throw away your ideals just to make it, right? You could for instance decline and allow someone else to make it, like cyanogenmod did.

Edit: Add in a bit of ego and you get the "stick it" line, but effectively the same thing as declining.

yes they did that and they suffered for it so it wasnt a good decision

1 minute ago, spartaman64 said:

yes they did that and they suffered for it so it wasnt a good decision

Only if you measure your decisions purely upon business success. Sometimes companies turn down proposals even if it seems profitable, because money isnt everything.

2 minutes ago, Swatson said:

Only if you measure your decisions purely upon business success. Sometimes companies turn down proposals even if it seems profitable, because money isnt everything.

sure if the other company is asking you to burn babies but nintendo is asking for an OS its really hard to fit some sort of moral argument against that like what you are trying to do

On 3/23/2017 at 1:33 PM, GoodBytes said:

Actually, that is not true at all. Nintendo has good environment for Japan compared to other companies, and has a good work environment for the North America office. That is why you have a huge amount of people applying at Nintendo (same for big tech companies like: Apple, Microsoft, Facebook, etc.), and yes, as a result, it is very difficult to get in, as competition in ones candidature is high.

Overworked employees always shows in their work. Nintendo games (well, the big ones) are renown to have the at most attention to detail, and these things are not done in a rush. They are done playing the game, passing the game through analysis to see what can be done, and done with joy. You also notice that bugs are difficult to find in Nintendo games. I am not saying their isn't.. but it's some Assassin Creed Unity buggy, or the new Mass Effect game. This is also helped with the fact that Nintendo advantage is that they can afford to move dates, and delay games. They are not afraid of selling their AAA games at any time. Big publishers are, and there is no flexibility in moving any dates. So you have a lot of sleepless nights, and you have a a very over worked environment.

On top of that Nintendo has crazy retention rates of employees that it is very difficult to go up the later. People who have a job, keeps it until they retire. This is also something you can argue that hurts the company, as in Japanese culture, the more senior you are, the more you have a say, and the more it is valued. The Switch and this new Zelda game, is the exception, where Nintendo decided to allow the young people take decisions. But, yes, that is why Nintendo still acts like we are in the 90's, following old ways, and following with the old 's mentality which is wrong: "Why change what works", and "we need to control, control, control", etc.

I did not know that, but it makes sense.  Big technology companies need very smart people, and so luring them in with perks and fantastic work environments seems to work for the big tech companies.