Retro gaming, the future of the "console" industry?

AlexHouse

In my opinion, I think the future of "console gaming" is retro, or at least the style of it, take the NES Classic, it was released in November last year, it's March now and it's still out of stock everywhere (at the proper RRP), of course I think this is Nintendo's fault in that they are deliberately not releasing enough just to increase the demand, I was just wondering what other LTT gamer's think about this, is the future more retro?

With Dolphin and a myrad of emulator consoles out there already, nothing has really changed. A bunch of Nintendo fanboys shit themselves at the opportunity to emulate without needing to pirate some games, but that's it.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Retro only exists if there is new consoles coming out, its what keeps the retro cycle going

Omega-  I5 6600k | Gigabyte GTX 1060 | Cougar Panzer | DDR4 16GB 3000MHz | MSI Z170 Gaming M5

EVGA 650 GQ | AOC 60Hz Freesync Panels x2 | AOC 144hz Freesync Panel x1

Epsilon- I7 2700k | Asus GTX 970 | Corsair 780t | DDR3 8GB 1600MHz | EVGA Z68 FTW Mobo

Corsair 750W G2 | Acer R240HY x2

Upsilon- i7 5500u | 6GB DDR3 | 720p 60Hz panel

Console gaming is good IMO, I game on xbox one in preference to computer as there are things I like about it more than PC gaming... I game on PC for some titles though, but mostly RPG, and not that often. I won't get into the whole PC versus console debate again, but console gaming will still be relevant for many years to come, the hardware keeps getting better and games are optimized for them, so although the details might be poorer compared to PC, the frame rates are usually OK, plus it's more comfortable, for me at least. Upscaled 4k looks bloody great on my panasonic TV TBH. I wish we could get hold of some older games from nintendo and others on our consoles, but I won't buy a nintendo console ever again.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

2 hours ago, Drak3 said:

With Dolphin and a myrad of emulator consoles out there already, nothing has really changed. A bunch of Nintendo fanboys shit themselves at the opportunity to emulate without needing to pirate some games, but that's it.

I agree in general and I don't think this sort of plug-and-play box is the future. But to be fair the NES Mini wasn't that bad a deal. It's basically just a small little ARM based emulator box with a decent looking plastic case and replica NES controller. But for the price they were asking? You can't go too wrong. Especially given how quickly people worked out a way to dump a whole library of NES ROMS onto it.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

47 minutes ago, skywake said:

I agree in general and I don't think this sort of plug-and-play box is the future. But to be fair the NES Mini wasn't that bad a deal. It's basically just a small little ARM based emulator box with a decent looking plastic case and replica NES controller. But for the price they were asking? You can't go too wrong. Especially given how quickly people worked out a way to dump a whole library of NES ROMS onto it.

the whole library, really?

5 hours ago, AlexHouse said:

Yup it can install upto 700 games at once and not only for NES but for SNES,N64,Genesis as well.

10 hours ago, AlexHouse said:

5 hours ago, AG1233 said:

Yup it can install upto 700 games at once and not only for NES but for SNES,N64,Genesis as well.

Yeah, though from what I can tell the N64 does push it a bit and consoles other than the NES require a bit of fiddling around in menus. But it is just a fairly simple box with with a little ARM SoC on it. So of course you can do all sorts of stuff with it once it was discovered you could just plug it into a PC and mess around with it. That said, the controller bundled with it is an NES controller and the games included are a pretty solid collection. So even if I did have one I'm not sure if I'd bother hacking it.

22 minutes ago, skywake said:

Yeah, though from what I can tell the N64 does push it a bit and consoles other than the NES require a bit of fiddling around in menus. But it is just a fairly simple box with with a little ARM SoC on it. So of course you can do all sorts of stuff with it once it was discovered you could just plug it into a PC and mess around with it. That said, the controller bundled with it is an NES controller and the games included are a pretty solid collection. So even if I did have one I'm not sure if I'd bother hacking it.

I am getting one soon but the only good reason to hack it is to increase the game library because 30 games cant keep you entertained for long time.

48 minutes ago, AG1233 said:

I am getting one soon but the only good reason to hack it is to increase the game library because 30 games cant keep you entertained for long time.

Fair enough. I'm just thinking about what I'd do if I got one and I probably wouldn't bother. The 30 games it includes cover pretty much all of the NES games I'd bother playing anyway. Sure it'd be nice if it also expanded to the SNES but why would I want to play SNES games on an NES controller? So I get why people would want to hack it and its fair enough. But I personally probably wouldn't bother.

As it is the novelty of it has worn off a bit. If I had been able to get one earlier on I would have but now I don't really care much anymore. If a SNES Mini comes out then sure. But as it is I'd rather they just get around to releasing the VC on the Switch.