1440p monitor or high refresh 1080p?

Inception9269

Debating on things a bit. Which would be the better choice, a 1440p monitor with 60fps, or a 1080p monitor at 120-144 refresh.

Looking for suggestions on which monitors to consider. Preferably 27" and with gsync if possible. Saw one somewhere before for a $400ish 1080p monitor like that

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⠛⠻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣤⣄⡀⠀⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠸⣿⣿⣿⠃⢰⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢶⣶⣶⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⠀⢠⡀⠐⠀⠀⠀⠻⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡄⢸⣷⡄⠀⠣⣄⡀⠀⠉⠛⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⣿⣿⣦⠀⠹⣿⣷⣶⣦⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣼⣿⣿⣿⣷⣄⣸⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⡿⢛⡙⢻⠛⣉⢻⣉⢈⣹⣿⣿⠟⣉⢻⡏⢛⠙⣉⢻⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣇⠻⠃⣾⠸⠟⣸⣿⠈⣿⣿⣿⡀⠴⠞⡇⣾⡄⣿⠘⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣟⠛⣃⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

I prefer a higher res monitor, but that may be because I work with graphic design. I feel if I went with a higher refresh it would goof me up when going back to 60.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Depends on what game you play

i would say a 1440p 60hz good IPS monitor is better unless you are a  csgo pro. 

38 minutes ago, Slottr said:

I prefer a higher res monitor, but that may be because I work with graphic design. I feel if I went with a higher refresh it would goof me up when going back to 60.

1440p was the first thing I considered, however I do want to experience the so called wonders of gaming at 120-144hz

39 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Depends on what game you play

34 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

i would say a 1440p 60hz good IPS monitor is better unless you are a  csgo pro. 

I mainly play triple AAA games. Only competitive game I really play is Overwatch though.

My gt 980 has served me well, but I feel it's starting to weigh me down in some games. Not sure how reliable it would be at 1440p 60fps in games, me always preferring high to ultra graphics. Same with 120-144hz in some 1080p games.

At one point I considered getting a gtx 1080, however I'm looking to save money for now, and don't want to invest in the 1080 at this point in its life cycle. I considered a 1060 6gb model since it's more cost friendly, however a 1060 is roughly 1-4 frames more or less than a 980 in most games, seems it only performs significantly better in benchmarks. Am considering waiting until the 1100 series and getting 1160's in SLI

There is the middle term, ultrawide 2560x1080p at 75hz.... I like it [:

Also nVidia is not enabling sli on -50 -60 cards any more, only on the -70 -80 and Titan... With that being said you could wait Volta and get the 2070... going to be on the same level the 1080ti is today give or take.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

9 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

There is the middle term, ultrawide 2560x1080p at 75hz.... I like it [:

Also nVidia is not enabling sli on -50 -60 cards any more, only on the -70 -80 and Titan... With that being said you could wait Volta and get the 2070... going to be on the same level the 1080ti is today give or take.

might consider it.

I know SLI on the 50's is no more, but thought 60's was still a go

1 hour ago, Inception9269 said:

might consider it.

I know SLI on the 50's is no more, but thought 60's was still a go

Why not 1440p 144hz?

[ Cruel Angel ]:     Exterior  -   BENQ XL2420T   |   SteelSeries MLG Sensei   |   Corsair K70 RED   |   Corsair 900D  |                                                                                                    CPU:    -   4.7Ghz @ 1.425v             |

Interior    -   i7 4770k   |    Maximus VI Formula    |   Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB    |   ASUS GTX 980 Strix SLIx2  |  840 Pro 512Gb    |    WD Black 2TB  |           RAM:   -   2400Mhz OC @ 1.650v    |

Cooling   -   XSPC 120mm x7 Total Radiator Space   |   XSPC RayStorm    |    PrimoChill Tubing/Res  |                                                                                             GPU:   -   1000Mhz @ 1.158            |

7 hours ago, Zeruel said:

Why not 1440p 144hz?

cause I don't feel like dropping nearly a thousand dollars into a monitor

Easy. Both!

Dell s2417dg.

Should be 399 USD or something like that. excellent price.

Good TN Panel, 1440p on 23,8", 165 Hz, G-Sync.

Only bummer, it will be 24". but taht will be extra sharpness.

I would NOT get 27" if you stick to 1080p. Way too pixely, / low resolution.

If you go 27", you go 1440p.

28 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

Easy. Both!

Dell s2417dg.

Should be 399 USD or something like that. excellent price.

Good TN Panel, 1440p on 23,8", 165 Hz, G-Sync.

Only bummer, it will be 24". but taht will be extra sharpness.

I would NOT get 27" if you stick to 1080p. Way too pixely, / low resolution.

If you go 27", you go 1440p.

That does look like a good monitor, but I'm just not entirely sure about it due to the size. saw a 27" version on amazon that was about $150ish more. I prefer larger monitors since I tend to sit further back from my monitor. Just worried about having issues with small text or things like that. Also I'm used to gaming on displays above 30" so I still want something relatively big. I remember seeing on Newegg 32" 1440p monitors @60 fps for around $400-450. 32" seems like quite a it though, so not too sure. Guess it depends on how much things are when that time comes around.

Yup, the 27" model is the Dell S2716dg ^^

Or the Acer Predator XB271HU (more OSD features, like gamma control, or 165 Hz mode, isntead 144 max)

Very worth. You might keep the monitor for a good while, so i would not go down to 1080p anymore^^ and not to 60 :P Here, almost no compromise

31 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

Yup, the 27" model is the Dell S2716dg ^^

Or the Acer Predator XB271HU (more OSD features, like gamma control, or 165 Hz mode, isntead 144 max)

Very worth. You might keep the monitor for a good while, so i would not go down to 1080p anymore^^ and not to 60 :P Here, almost no compromise

if it wasn't $800 I'd strongly consider that Acer one

Are you looking at the IPS or TN model?

At least here, the TN one costs 590€~

1 hour ago, Darkseth said:

Are you looking at the IPS or TN model?

At least here, the TN one costs 590€~

Not sure. I just googled it and went off whichever one showed up first

I didn't want to hijack someone else's thread, nor create yet another thread about the same subject. So I think I've chosen the lesser of two evils...

I'm starting to look into a monitor that I might purchase later in the year. I play mainly single player AAA titles, most of which are third person/open world/RPG games. I'll play the odd FPS game, though in single player/offline mode, mainly for the story. I have no interest or time to play online any more. My machine specs are listed in my profile, but the main jist is:

Core i7-2600K (not overclocked)

16GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance

ASUS STRIX GTX 1070

With those specs in mind, I'm after purely image/picture quality, while maintining good gameplay. I understand that 1440p 144Hz is out of the question as the card cannot handle it, leaving me with the question of 1080p 144Hz vs 1440p 60Hz. Also, where does G-Sync fit into all of this?

For my situation, which would be the best solution?

Stop and think a second, something is more than nothing.

6 minutes ago, chiller15 said:

I didn't want to hijack someone else's thread, nor create yet another thread about the same subject. So I think I've chosen the lesser of two evils...

I'm starting to look into a monitor that I might purchase later in the year. I play mainly single player AAA titles, most of which are third person/open world/RPG games. I'll play the odd FPS game, though in single player/offline mode, mainly for the story. I have no interest or time to play online any more. My machine specs are listed in my profile, but the main jist is:

ASUS STRIX GTX 1070

With those specs in mind, I'm after purely image/picture quality, while maintining good gameplay. I understand that 1440p 144Hz is out of the question as the card cannot handle it, leaving me with the question of 1080p 144Hz vs 1440p 60Hz. Also, where does G-Sync fit into all of this?

1440p 144hz isn't out of your realm and people forget you will generally keep your monitor for the most amount of time compared to any other component so it's best to buy the best you can afford.

I personally wouldn't suggest gsync it'll lock you into a nvidia platform, costs a lot and I personally don't like it, what kind of budget are we talking? 

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

40 minutes ago, alexyy said:

1440p 144hz isn't out of your realm and people forget you will generally keep your monitor for the most amount of time compared to any other component so it's best to buy the best you can afford.

I personally wouldn't suggest gsync it'll lock you into a nvidia platform, costs a lot and I personally don't like it, what kind of budget are we talking? 

Thanks for the reply. Budget wise, I'm thinking no more than £300 and probably no larger than 24". Since I only bought my 1070 last month, I think it's unlikely that I'm going to get another graphics card within the next 5 years, though I understand what you mean about G-Sync.

Stop and think a second, something is more than nothing.

58 minutes ago, chiller15 said:

ASUS STRIX GTX 1070

I had the exact same question few days agoxD 

Now I've got my new monitor:PAnd from this experience, I think it depends on what size are you after.

For a 24" 1080p looks crisp enough for me. But any larger I would suggest 1440p. 

G-sync is too expensive. Ridiculously expensive. If you are getting g-sync you might as well get the best of the best to extend the replacement cycle.