PS4 vs Cheap laptop?

ItsMinJunLol

Hi! I am looking for a budget gaming option. I have two choices. The PS4 or a cheap laptop. I can buy a cheap laptop with a gtx 930m or something like that and play overwatch and maybe BF1 but It's much more expensive than a PS4. On the other hand, I've never aimed with a console or played, so I think that might be a disadvantage, but an advantage of having a console is that you don't need as much space for it. Just this controller that fits on your hand compared to this laptop and huge mouse space (I use low sensitivity + dpi), and I like couch/bed gaming, so that might be an advantage of a console, but I don't want to miss the advantages of using a kb & m.

The question is, Should I learn to play with a console and play with console? Or should I go for a laptop? Thanks!

If those are your only 2 options and it's mainly for gaming than you'd likely be better with a PS4 but Is a small desktop connected to your TV out of the question?

You could build a mid range desktop with a decent upgrade path for the cost of the laptop and be able to swap in a new CPU,GPU, SSD as the need arises. 

Yes, they are basically the only 2 options because of the cost. A PS4 will cost me around 3.6 ~ 5 million IDR. A decent pc with a i5 and a gtx 1050 or a 970 will cost me around 10+ million idr, and a cheap laptop with a decent gpu will cost me around 6 ~ 7 million IDR. Huge cost difference. Yes, I really would want a desktop, but yeah, those are the only options I have.

Laptop  - +  portable and you can use it for other things except gaming / - gtx (or maybe just gt) 930m will suck in any modern game

Console - + you like couch/bed gaming and idk what will be better than this / - dont have all games but those who it has you know for sure that will run stable fps

If the only purpose of this device is gaming then the console for sure

If you need a portable device for other things  - the laptop (saying again that this gpu will suck a lot)

Easiest choice ever: PS4 (this is coming from a PC gamer)

Desktop: Intel i9-10850K (R9 3900X died 😢 )| MSI Z490 Tomahawk | RTX 2080 (borrowed from work) - MSI GTX 1080 | 64GB 3600MHz CL16 memory | Corsair H100i (NF-F12 fans) | Samsung 970 EVO 512GB | Intel 665p 2TB | Samsung 830 256GB| 3TB HDD | Corsair 450D | Corsair RM550x | MG279Q

Laptop: Surface Pro 7 (i5, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD)

Console: PlayStation 4 Pro

I was thinking something more along the lines of an intel 1151 mobo with an i3 or even Pentium (2 core 4 thread) CPU and and 1050 or rx 460 gpu, 8 gb ram and 1 tb 7200 rpm HDD plus cheap case and 500 watt power supply

I'm not sure what the prices are like in your country but in Canada even adding the cost of a windows license still comes out cheaper than most laptops with onboard video here (around $700-800 CDN).

you don't have to go i5 right away. but if you have a mobo that supports it you can swap one in it later on. 

Definitely a PS4. Not sure what prices are like in Indonesia, but in the US for what works out to just about 5.6 million IDR (according to google) you can get the below, which isn't bad. You could upgrade to an i5 or whatever later if you wanted. Just add a cheap mouse & keyboard and OS, or even go different on the video card or get a small SSD or something.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($59.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Asus H110M-A/M.2 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($50.88 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: Avexir Core Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($47.92 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Toshiba 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($42.79 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon RX 480 4GB Red Dragon Video Card  ($164.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: Zalman ZM-T1 PLUS MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($28.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Thermaltake 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($25.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $421.52
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-17 12:29 EDT-0400

11 hours ago, komar said:

Laptop  - +  portable and you can use it for other things except gaming / - gtx (or maybe just gt) 930m will suck in any modern game

Console - + you like couch/bed gaming and idk what will be better than this / - dont have all games but those who it has you know for sure that will run stable fps

If the only purpose of this device is gaming then the console for sure

If you need a portable device for other things  - the laptop (saying again that this gpu will suck a lot)

I already have a mac so I don't really need much more than a gaming machine but I don't think I'll like controller a lot. I might just go for a laptop first, and I also don't play games like witcher 3 or something like that. i'll probably stop at overwatch or BF1, which I confirmed that a gtx 930-940 is enough.

11 hours ago, mathijs727 said:

Easiest choice ever: PS4 (this is coming from a PC gamer)

Why is this? Is it because of the controller?

11 hours ago, trufret said:

I was thinking something more along the lines of an intel 1151 mobo with an i3 or even Pentium (2 core 4 thread) CPU and and 1050 or rx 460 gpu, 8 gb ram and 1 tb 7200 rpm HDD plus cheap case and 500 watt power supply

I'm not sure what the prices are like in your country but in Canada even adding the cost of a windows license still comes out cheaper than most laptops with onboard video here (around $700-800 CDN).

you don't have to go i5 right away. but if you have a mobo that supports it you can swap one in it later on. 

Yes, I know that but I really can't get a pc because I also travel a decent amount, and I can't really lug on a pc with me on my trips, so yeah. PCs are out of the question.

18 hours ago, ItsMinJunLol said:

Hi! I am looking for a budget gaming option. I have two choices. The PS4 or a cheap laptop. I can buy a cheap laptop with a gtx 930m or something like that and play overwatch and maybe BF1 but It's much more expensive than a PS4. On the other hand, I've never aimed with a console or played, so I think that might be a disadvantage, but an advantage of having a console is that you don't need as much space for it. Just this controller that fits on your hand compared to this laptop and huge mouse space (I use low sensitivity + dpi), and I like couch/bed gaming, so that might be an advantage of a console, but I don't want to miss the advantages of using a kb & m.

The question is, Should I learn to play with a console and play with console? Or should I go for a laptop? Thanks!

Laptop with 930m can't be considered as a gaming laptop imo.

my laptop is powered by 940mx and it's suitable for light gaming (dota,cs,LoL) but it barely runs BF1. On 720p with lowest setting it only gets 20-30fps

My suggestion is get a ps4 and buy it's exclusives ;)

7 hours ago, ItsMinJunLol said:

I already have a mac so I don't really need much more than a gaming machine but I don't think I'll like controller a lot. I might just go for a laptop first, and I also don't play games like witcher 3 or something like that. i'll probably stop at overwatch or BF1, which I confirmed that a gtx 930-940 is enough.

Why is this? Is it because of the controller?

Yes, I know that but I really can't get a pc because I also travel a decent amount, and I can't really lug on a pc with me on my trips, so yeah. PCs are out of the question.

Its because gamig on (cheap) laptops is an inferior experience and the only reason people do it is portability.

Second of all, a gt930m is way slower than the PS4.

Although I dont like controllers, they do give you more freedom (i.e. laying upside down on the couch), while you cant even move the keyboard on a laptop.

If you would go for a PC, get a desktop for sure.

Its cheaper/faster than a same priced laptop.

Also note that although a PC seems more expensive than a console, the games are way cheaper and multiplayer is free.

Desktop: Intel i9-10850K (R9 3900X died 😢 )| MSI Z490 Tomahawk | RTX 2080 (borrowed from work) - MSI GTX 1080 | 64GB 3600MHz CL16 memory | Corsair H100i (NF-F12 fans) | Samsung 970 EVO 512GB | Intel 665p 2TB | Samsung 830 256GB| 3TB HDD | Corsair 450D | Corsair RM550x | MG279Q

Laptop: Surface Pro 7 (i5, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD)

Console: PlayStation 4 Pro

PS4 easily. The PS4 uses something a little better than an HD 7850, which is almost twice as fast as a GT 940m. Or the PS4 Pro has a gpu on par with the RX 470, which is almost five times faster than a GT 940m.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2017 at 11:30 AM, IntMD said:

Definitely a PS4. Not sure what prices are like in Indonesia, but in the US for what works out to just about 5.6 million IDR (according to google) you can get the below, which isn't bad. You could upgrade to an i5 or whatever later if you wanted. Just add a cheap mouse & keyboard and OS, or even go different on the video card or get a small SSD or something.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($59.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Asus H110M-A/M.2 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($50.88 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: Avexir Core Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($47.92 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Toshiba 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($42.79 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon RX 480 4GB Red Dragon Video Card  ($164.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: Zalman ZM-T1 PLUS MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($28.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Thermaltake 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($25.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $421.52
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-17 12:29 EDT-0400

Dude u freaking used parametric filters to find the cheapest crap

"(1) High Frame Rates (2) Ultra Graphics Settings (3) Cheap>>>>Choose only two" Chevaishr

https://myanimelist.net/profile/AnalCavity

PCPartPicker URL

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/bsJ8TW 

7 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

It's the same link you posted last time.

Also at $640 USD, I'd hardly call that a win against a $300 USD system.

No isn't he talking about the PS4 Pro and we have a better processor,graphics card,RAM, it includes a controller (keyboard and mouse) and you can upgrade it 

"(1) High Frame Rates (2) Ultra Graphics Settings (3) Cheap>>>>Choose only two" Chevaishr

https://myanimelist.net/profile/AnalCavity

PCPartPicker URL

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/bsJ8TW 

34 minutes ago, Zic05 said:

No isn't he talking about the PS4 Pro and we have a better processor,graphics card,RAM, it includes a controller (keyboard and mouse) and you can upgrade it 

OP says PS4 without any modifiers, so I'm going to assume the PS4.

Either way, $400 vs. $630.