GTX 1060 and 4k

KyleKyleKyle

Ok so I have a MSI Gaming X GTX 1060 6GB. I also have a 55inch 4k SUHD TV(3840x2160 60p). Most my settings on GTA V are between normal and high, I also turned off FXAA and MSAA.

I can easily hit the average of 60fps. My GPU seems to settle in around 64c with the OC Boost on.

My question is though, why do people keep saying the 1060 is not a capable 4k gaming card?

I will have to figure out how to take a screenshot while in GTA V first but I will try lol.

Also the computer I am on now is I7 4790, 16GB DDR3. My other computer which is broken mobo right now :/ is i7 7700k with 32gb DDR4.

Just now, KyleKyleKyle said:

I will have to figure out how to take a screenshot while in GTA V first but I will try lol.

Also the computer I am on now is I7 4790, 16GB DDR3. My other computer which is broken mobo right now :/ is i7 7700k with 32gb DDR4.

use Nvidia shadowplay

Because to be considered a 4k/60fps card the standard people use is that it can maintain above 60fps at 4k Ultra settings in every modern game.

My 980 can play plenty of games at 4k... just not maxed out. I can even max out a handful of new(ish) games like Rocket League or Mad Max but that doesn't make my card a "4k capable GPU".

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

Just now, pyrojoe34 said:

Because to be considered a 4k/60fps card the standard people use is that it can maintain above 60fps at 4k Ultra settings in any modern game.

My 980 can play plenty of games at 4k 60... just not maxed out. I can even max out a handful of new(ish) games like Rocket League but that doesn't make my card a "4k capable GPU".

maxing out rocket league is not maxing out gta 5, a open world game.  

Just now, pyrojoe34 said:

Because to be considered a 4k/60fps card the standard people use is that it can maintain above 60fps at 4k Ultra settings in any modern game.

My 980 can play plenty of games at 4k 60... just not maxed out. I can even max out a handful of new(ish) games like Rocket League but that doesn't make my card a "4k capable GPU".

Ok, I guess that makes more sense to me. I was just casually wondering what was defined as a "4k Capable GPU"

Also I said normal to high, not Ultra settings lol, the Ultra makes it dive bomb in the fps lol

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

maxing out rocket league is not maxing out gta 5, a open world game.  

No shit... that's my point...

My 980 plays GTAV at 4k High-Very High settings at 45+fps... still doesn't make it a 4k card.

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

Ok thanks for the answers guys, I guess that solves everything I was curios about lol :D

2 minutes ago, pyrojoe34 said:

No shit... that's my point...

My 980 plays GTAV at 4k High-Very High settings at 45+fps... still doesn't make it a 4k card.

he claimed 60 fps average, average that meanes means most of the time.  

20 minutes ago, KyleKyleKyle said:

Also I said normal to high, not Ultra settings lol, the Ultra makes it dive bomb in the fps lol

Still no believe you

Max out

gtav_3840_2160.png

So I couldn't figure out how to get a screenshot lol. So I did the next best thing and made an artist rendering of the situation. I believe you will find the results to be satisfactory, if not completely amazing.

1060Res.jpg

3 hours ago, KyleKyleKyle said:

Ok so I have a MSI Gaming X GTX 1060 6GB. I also have a 55inch 4k SUHD TV(3840x2160 60p). Most my settings on GTA V are between normal and high, I also turned off FXAA and MSAA.

I can easily hit the average of 60fps. My GPU seems to settle in around 64c with the OC Boost on.

My question is though, why do people keep saying the 1060 is not a capable 4k gaming card?

Of course it's capable of outputting that many pixels in video games, including graphically intensive ones. The issue is that it can't do so at higher quality settings at decent frame rates. 

Just now, Morgan Everett said:

Of course it's capable of outputting that many pixels in video games, including graphically intensive ones. The issue is that it can't do so at higher quality settings at decent frame rates. 

What did you think of my artist rendering?

What did you think of my artist rendering?

I think it's strange you can't figure out how to take a screenshot, and that it doesn't do much for your credibility that you cannot produce one.

I am not really worried about my credibility, I just want to know how to take a screenshot.

I pressed the f3 or f2 buttons and I am pretty sure I recorded something while in GTA online. I need to know where to find it now.

I am not really worried about my credibility, I just want to know how to take a screenshot.

If you're not worried about your credibility, then you aren't concerned about whether people believe what you say. In that case, it's unclear why you're trying to take one in the first place. 

3 hours ago, KyleKyleKyle said:

Are you running the game at 4K? Or is the game running at 1080p on the 4K TV?

It say about 5 minutes until upload completed. I am new to alot of this so please be patient.