Ryzen supports ECC memory.

asder12
1 hour ago, bongey said:

Incorrect all previous versions of AMD AM(1,2,3,4) sockets support ECC. Just isn't officially supported at the moment, ie you cannot ask for help. It was in the AMA with AMD. Basically they said the 1700-1800X have ECC but it hasn't been thoroughly tested. 

If it doesn't support it it doesn't support t, just because it can technically work doesn't change that fact, also I never said AM4 didn't support t I said ryzen, the chipset will be used for more than just ryzen

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_ga-ax370-gaming-k7.pdf

Gigabyte K7 officially supports ECC memory now.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

ECC "Works" and almost all AM4 motherboard support ECC, BUT without actually ECC functionality.
So ECC on AM4 motherboards fro Ryzen behaves the same as non-ECC unburrered.

I would really want to see (and buy!) AM4 motherboard that DO support ECC RAM.
So it is all about cheap A/H who design and produce AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboards, and even CPU supports unbuffered ECC, they didn't bother to BUILD LINES on the motherboards between CPU and RAM for ECC to be working actually.
Plus they need "not to disable" it in motherboard settings.

So question is not anymore does AMD Ryzen CPu supports ECC IN ECC MODE, but
1- Are all AM4 Moterboard producers lying to us and not enable ECC working in ECC mode
2- AMD Chipstes produced up to now intentionally do NOT support ECC in ECC mode, for the same reason Intel kills the ECC feature - to sell more server CPUs
3- AMD , by not stating that ECC is officially supported in Ryzen , even it exists is not supported, buta ctually FORBIDS AM4 motherboard producers to sell motherboards that can work with ECC RAM in ECC mode.

So for now AM4 altogether, with Ryzen and all motherboard producers is incapable platform to work with your ECC RAM in ECC mode and that is the fact.

Feel free to correct
one AM4 motherboard actually work in ECC mode and that is done testing with actually injecting Errors and seeng if RAM signals it and CPU corrects it on the fly.
(E.G. it is not needed for motherboard producers to support it officially, it just needs to actually work and memory tests to test it:
http://memtest86.com/features.htm
"
ECC error injection is a feature that simulates ECC errors in order to test the system's error handling mechanism. " .
So the list of memtest86 supported platforms need to widen to be able to test it,
and it won't happen before some AMD officially-supported ECC CPUs and chipstes and motherboards come out.
But they would probably be with supporting Buffered ECC, but that would be enough to at leaste TEST ECC.
Untill then, AMD Ryzen is just useless for Workstation and storage use that need ECC for not destroying your crucial data.

(E.G. "Gaming" platfrom AMD Ryzen is, is pretty much useless for serious work (and that is where Ryzen should shine). Without ECC working in ECC mode, I won't buy AMD. (All AM2/3 cpus used to supoprt ECC in ECC mode and there WERE Mobos supporting it..)
I expect that, AMD server parts will be actually same thing as Ryzen, but just priced higher..

16 hours ago, markor said:

So for now AM4 altogether, with Ryzen and all motherboard producers is incapable platform to work with your ECC RAM in ECC mode and that is the fact.

any source to this?

9 hours ago, zMeul said:

any source to this?

Any source it is not?.. E.G. as soon as you find any AM4 motherboard that supports ECC AND working in ECC mode with Unbuffered ECC RAM, you can post an info..

Otherwise, you just can not get sentence out of context, AMD Ryzen is said by AMD that it supports Ubbuffered ECC in ECC mode, but "just" NO motherboards to work with ECC in ECC mode.
I would be GLAD and BUY AM4 motheboard supporting ECC in ECC mode, if anyone has any TESTING info about that (and there is also no valid test app for Ryzen/ECC too).

7 hours ago, markor said:

Any source it is not?.. E.G. as soon as you find any AM4 motherboard that supports ECC AND working in ECC mode with Unbuffered ECC RAM, you can post an info..

Otherwise, you just can not get sentence out of context, AMD Ryzen is said by AMD that it supports Ubbuffered ECC in ECC mode, but "just" NO motherboards to work with ECC in ECC mode.
I would be GLAD and BUY AM4 motheboard supporting ECC in ECC mode, if anyone has any TESTING info about that (and there is also no valid test app for Ryzen/ECC too).

There was someone who contacted tech support for ASRock and they said it was validated for Linux, no word on Windows - wtf does that actually means... dunno