WHat to do when NAS storage is full

MATRIX 1

I have a NAS 4 bay and started with 1 TB x 4 . So it filled up after two years.... so I swapped out for 3TB x 4 and now in one year its full. Something seems wrong. The cost of going to 8TB x 4 sounds like Star Trek

ANy insights?

You only really have the options to offload data you don't need immediate access to onto archive drives, delete some data or increase the capacity. 

Delete stuff? Transcode your video content to a better codec? 

Only two solutions to this type of issue: Store less or get more storage.

7 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

You only really have the options to offload data you don't need immediate access to onto archive drives, delete some data or increase the capacity. 

4 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Delete stuff? Transcode your video content to a better codec? 

Only two solutions to this type of issue: Store less or get more storage.

I was afraid of that . I should have bought an 8 bank NAS

Unless you have good self control on what you store (which I do not) it doesn't really matter how much space you allocate for a storage server since it will fill up over time. I built a pretty big storage server thinking it would last a few years. Less than a year after that I'm having to make decisions on what I want to get or keep because I'm running out of space.

26 minutes ago, kerradeph said:

Unless you have good self control on what you store (which I do not) it doesn't really matter how much space you allocate for a storage server since it will fill up over time. I built a pretty big storage server thinking it would last a few years. Less than a year after that I'm having to make decisions on what I want to get or keep because I'm running out of space.

That's not even the worst of it. I cannot access the server because the tech I had set up changed the password etc and wrote it down. But it doesn't work and he has been MIA for six months

3 minutes ago, MATRIX 1 said:
  29 minutes ago, kerradeph said:

Can I link via cable two 4 bay NAS together and work well?

i ran into the same issue a while ago but it turns out if you take some time and look over the files you store there are hundreds of gigabytes you dont need anymore or that can be trans coded down.

you just need to do it and its free.

4 hours ago, MATRIX 1 said:

Can I link via cable two 4 bay NAS together and work well?

Depends on the type of NAS that you're using. Most of them you can't just expand like that. If it's a storage server in a 4 bay case then you might be able to attach another DAS to it to add drive bays.

Depending on the model of the 4 bay you have, most of them support expanding by buying another one.

You can use a utility like Windirstat to scan the directories to identify your biggest folders/files.

On 2/22/2017 at 11:29 PM, MATRIX 1 said:

The cost of going to 8TB x 4 sounds like Star Trek

ANy insights?

Yes.

There's no currency in the economy United Federation of Planets, so the cost can't possibly 'Sound like Star Trek'.

Duh.

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 6:24 AM, AshleyAshes said:

Yes.

There's no currency in the economy United Federation of Planets, so the cost can't possibly 'Sound like Star Stek'.

ok you got me there.......

I push footage thats not required as regularly to +5TB USB drives, initially reconnected to the NAS and when they are full they are 'archived' to a cupboard.

Looking for basic IT Tutorials in plain English? Check out our YouTube channel, Follow us on twitter @itsnippetscouk or hit us up on Facebook.

http://www.itsnippets.co.uk - Homepage

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnEKViaUKe7La0CJVYR7Jhw

https://twitter.com/ITSnippetsCoUk - Twitter

https://www.facebook.com/itsnippets.co.uk/ - Facebook