Should I upgrade?

Hello! 

I was wondering now with the release of the ryzen we can all see that its waay better than Intel i7 6700k and even 6900k. Im talking about the 1800k ofc, but is it better in game? Is it worth upgrading from a skylake 6700k to the 1800k ryzen? The clock is lower but it got more cores, what is the pros and cons about more cores and higher clockspeed? 

//Thanks

Avve1000
Setup in Profile!

1 minute ago, Avve1000 said:

but is it better in game?

No. Right now, Clocks>Cores. In fact, the 1800X performs worse than the 6700K/7700K in games....

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

4 minutes ago, Avve1000 said:

The clock is lower but it got more cores, what is the pros and cons about more cores and higher clockspeed? 

More cores:

• Better multitasking ability
  • Better performance in productivity applications

Higher clocks:

• Better gaming performance
  • System is faster in day to day tasks

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

2 minutes ago, Jorgen297 said:

you dont even know that yet, theres no independent reviews out yet lmfao these amd haters are getting rowdy cuz we're WINNING

Uhmm WTF? Even if Ryzen is able to get to 4.6+GHz it will not be faster per core than a 6700K.... IPC is on par with Broadwell, not Skylake/Kabylake...

And I DO know that... Ask @done12many2 if you want, he ditched his 4.8GHz 5960X and got a 7700K, which destroys the 5960X in games....

I would at the very least wait for reviews, but considering how much hype there is.....I dont think we will see them in stock for quite sometime.

1 minute ago, Jorgen297 said:

no you dont know that cuz there's no independent confirmed reviews yet, wait for the reviews before you spew hate on AMD

Why do you think that I am hating on AMD?

2 minutes ago, Jorgen297 said:

no you dont know that cuz there's no independent confirmed reviews yet

I know that as the 6700K outperforms the 6900K in games and the 6900K is on par with Ryzen IPC wise...

So since I have seen the video, my final answer is. If you plan on just gaming then the i7 7700 or 7700k is fine, That 1700 chip compares to. Though I don't think it makes a big difference while gaming, maybe 3% imo. Get a i7 7700 or 7700k. You don't need all those cores for gaming. That's my answer.

The geek himself.

1 minute ago, Dawson Wehage said:

So since I have seen the video, my final answer is. If you plan on just gaming then the i7 7700 or 7700k is fine, That 1700 chip compares to. Though I don't think it makes a big difference while gaming, maybe 3% imo. Get a i7 7700 or 7700k. You don't need all those cores for gaming. That's my answer.

He already has the 6700K...

23 minutes ago, Avve1000 said:

s it worth upgrading from a skylake 6700k to the 1800k ryzen?

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

He already has the 6700K...

Oh I thought that he was gonna buy a 6700k, but instead upgrade to ryzen, though still a 6700k or 7700k is still fine for gaming.

The geek himself.

I'm currently building a pc for gaming while streaming and my CPU of choice is a i7 7700k Should I consider getting this new AMD chip instead?

5 minutes ago, Syphno said:

I'm currently building a pc for gaming while streaming and my CPU of choice is a i7 7700k Should I consider getting this new AMD chip instead?

Maybe for streaming yes, look at the Ryzen 1700.

The geek himself.

4 minutes ago, Syphno said:

If you care about the best gaming performance, get the 7700K, if you want the best performance while streaming, get the 1700 or wait for the 1600

6 minutes ago, Syphno said:

if you are not in a hurry you should wait for the release and independent benchmarks, the 7700k is definitely going to remain as the best 4c/8t processor in the market but the thing is the 8c/16t Ryzen chips are looking really really good, so far they have beaten all the Broadwell-E counter parts for much lower costs.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

8 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

And I DO know that... Ask @done12many2 if you want, he ditched his 4.8GHz 5960X and got a 7700K, which destroys the 5960X in games....

Just for the record, I still have both.  :P  

With that said, my 7700k overclocked DESTROYS my 5960x overclocked in almost every way EXCEPT when an application can actually use all 8 cores on my 5960x, which is RARE.  

The screen shots are  the highest single-threaded scores I've been able to get out of each chip in their highest overclocked state.  Simply no comparison and my 5960x is one bad sum bitch.  It still can't come close to the 7700k when less cores are utilized.  I should also note, my 5960x pretty much rapes a stock turbo'd Ryzen, so unless Ryzen can overclock high, it damn sure wont complete with a 7700k in most games until sometime in the distant future when we actually start getting more games that utilize more core effectively.

If you are going to run stock though, Ryzen looks like a pretty awesome chip.

Capture2.JPG

5960x

Capture.JPG

3 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

if you are not in a hurry you should wait for the release and independent benchmarks, the 7700k is definitely going to remain as the best 4c/8t processor in the market but the thing is the 8c/16t Ryzen chips are looking really really good, so far they have beaten all the Broadwell-E counter parts for much lower costs.

Would a ryzen chip work with the MB I picked out ASUS prime z270-ar

2 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

I should also note, my 5960x pretty much rapes a stock turbo'd Ryzen, so unless Ryzen can overclock high, it damn sure wont complete with a 7700k

The fact that it takes LN2 for an 1800X to get to 5.1GHz tells me that Ryzen won't be an amazing overclocker.....

3 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Just for the record, I still have both.  :P  

Noice :D

1 minute ago, Syphno said:

Would a ryzen chip work with the MB I picked out ASUS prime z270-ar

Of course not, the z270 has Intel Chipset and will only work with skylake and kaby-lake, you need an AM4 motherboard for Ryzen.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

The fact that it takes LN2 for an 1800X to get to 5.1GHz tells me that Ryzen won't be an amazing overclocker.....

Noice :D

That's what it's looking like.  Not to mention that "XFR" only gets you 100 MHz extra if you have "proper cooling", but like everyone else, I'm waiting to see what 3rd party testing reveals.  

If it can't clock high, it's still a great chip.  It's just not a great chip for me.  :D

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

Of course not, the z270 has Intel Chipset and will only work with skylake and kaby-lake, you need an AM4 motherboard for Ryzen.

DAMN! any other issues with AM4 boards and GPUs

52 minutes ago, Syphno said:

DAMN! any other issues with AM4 boards and GPUs

Issues with AM4 and Gpus? Amd uses different sockets than Intel and always has. The Gpu will still go into a PCIe slot like always. Have you already purchased the motherboard? If not, wait. If so then go ahead and get an Intel processor. Either way, do a little bit of research into building a PC so you know what you're doing when you do it so that you don't mess anything up. Knowing how ram fits in and Cpus fit in the socket are the main things that you need to pay attention to. Also how to mount the board itself so you don't cause it to short itself out in the case. A damaged Cpu, Mobo or Gpu is not fun to have to replace. While building a PC isn't hard by any means and really comes down to budget and choice, you need to know what you're doing. The pieces go together like a puzzle.

i5 6600k @ 4.4ghz on Hyper 212 Evo

Powercolor RX 480 8Gb Red Devil @1330Mhz

Bottom line:  Don't be a spaz or an 800lb gorilla when installing your expensive CPU, and you won't have any problems. --Phate.exe

2 minutes ago, Krillingt75961 said:

Issues with AM4 and Gpus? Amd uses different sockets than Intel and always has. The Gpu will still go into a PCIe slot like always. Have you already purchased the motherboard? If not, wait. If so then go ahead and get an Intel processor. Either way, do a little bit of research into building a PC so you know what you're doing when you do it so that you don't mess anything up. Knowing how ram fits in and Cpus fit in the socket are the main things that you need to pay attention to. Also how to mount the board itself so you don't cause it to short itself out in the case. A damaged Cpu, Mobo or Gpu is not fun to have to replace. While building a PC isn't hard by any means and really comes down to budget and choice, you need to know what you're doing. The pieces go together like a puzzle.

I did research but obviously on the intel side, AMD was basically nonexistent up until today. now I would have to change a couple things. I may just stick the the 7700K it seems the only real difference is the price point and I don't mind spending extra $$ for a very dependable brand

1 minute ago, Syphno said:

I did research but obviously on the intel side, AMD was basically nonexistent up until today. now I would have to change a couple things. I may just stick the the 7700K it seems the only real difference is the price point and I don't mind spending extra $$ for a very dependable brand

Both are dependable brands but you already made the investment into a z270 board so stick with it.

i5 6600k @ 4.4ghz on Hyper 212 Evo

Powercolor RX 480 8Gb Red Devil @1330Mhz

Bottom line:  Don't be a spaz or an 800lb gorilla when installing your expensive CPU, and you won't have any problems. --Phate.exe