Need Antivirus Software Recommendation

Atra1n2

I just finished my first PC build (i7-6850k, ASUS x99 deluxe II mobo, EVGA GTX 1080 SC) and I'm seeking recommendations for antivirus software. In the past I used McAfee, but I don't care for all of the background CPU and disk activity with its unannounced scans, etc. I'd like to find something that actively "watches" incoming files, whether directly downloaded or not and would alert of anything suspicious, but I don't want a software with a lot of background activity. I understand antivirus software is not a necessity if you're smart about your online activity, but it would give me peace of mind knowing I can fall back on it. What do some of you use and would you recommend it? By the way, I'm on Windows 10 pro, and it comes with Windows Defender of course, but I'm not sure if that is a comprehensive enough solution or not.

Thanks for your help!

Kaspersky Pro Premium.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Would recommend Kaspersky but

7 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Just use the defender built and don't be stupid. Its fine, and most of the other software is a pain.

This makes sense

Norton Security has good features and firewall. You can check it out.

6 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Just use the defender built and don't be stupid. Its fine, and most of the other software is a pain.

I would tend to agree with that. I just didn't know if there was anything else out there that was unobtrusive. But I'm good with Defender, and I can generally avoid doing stupid things.

Ill just need to do my own research on some of the others mentioned, if I don't just stick with Defender.

Imo you shouldnt buy any. Avast free version seems fine and Its background process is very lightweight (make sure to download the free version and not the "free trial version" which bothers you with upgrades and stuff), and as @Electronics Wizardy said, the new W10 defender works just fine.

Also, dont click on the "Congratulations, you are the visitor 1.000.000, click.... bla, bla, bla". It does help too. Now seriously, that the best advise, be wary of where you click and what you download. Srly.

Edit: there isnt a bulletproof antivirus, nor the free or the paid. Its true that the paid have more features but... I dont think they are necessary. Thats my opinion based on my experience.

I've been using ESET for the past few years. I can recommend it. It runs quietly in the background using about 200Mb of ram, doesn't do anything I didn't tell it to do and it blocks potentially unsafe websites and downloads (you can always press "ignore warning"). Sadly all this protection isn't free, but its not a wallet destroyer either (about 20$ a year). Did i mention that You can use one account on multiple devices? It even supports android and IOS.

I use Bitdefender although that is just because I get it for free. I would personally just recommend that you use the built in Windows Defender.

23 minutes ago, Atra1n2 said:

I just finished my first PC build (i7-6850k, ASUS x99 deluxe II mobo, EVGA GTX 1080 SC) and I'm seeking recommendations for antivirus software. In the past I used McAfee, but I don't care for all of the background CPU and disk activity with its unannounced scans, etc. I'd like to find something that actively "watches" incoming files, whether directly downloaded or not and would alert of anything suspicious, but I don't want a software with a lot of background activity. I understand antivirus software is not a necessity if you're smart about your online activity, but it would give me peace of mind knowing I can fall back on it. What do some of you use and would you recommend it? By the way, I'm on Windows 10 pro, and it comes with Windows Defender of course, but I'm not sure if that is a comprehensive enough solution or not.

Thanks for your help!

I use ESET for the same reasons @Bidon listed. It's lightweight and just sits in the background. I browse safely but just like the old adage about condoms, I'd rather have one and not need it than need it and not have one. With the kind of money I dropped into my system, I can spend twenty bucks more to gain a little more protection. I got a sweet deal on their ultimate protection, which is normally like fifty dollars but I nabbed it for $29.99 during some Black Friday deal. But their regular anti-virus is just fine.

38 minutes ago, Stylized_Violence said:

I use ESET for the same reasons @Bidon listed. It's lightweight and just sits in the background. I browse safely but just like the old adage about condoms, I'd rather have one and not need it than need it and not have one. With the kind of money I dropped into my system, I can spend twenty bucks more to gain a little more protection. I got a sweet deal on their ultimate protection, which is normally like fifty dollars but I nabbed it for $29.99 during some Black Friday deal. But their regular anti-virus is just fine.

Sounds good! I'll look into it.

1 hour ago, Atra1n2 said:

I just finished my first PC build (i7-6850k, ASUS x99 deluxe II mobo, EVGA GTX 1080 SC) and I'm seeking recommendations for antivirus software. In the past I used McAfee, but I don't care for all of the background CPU and disk activity with its unannounced scans, etc.

I'd like to find something that actively "watches" incoming files, whether directly downloaded or not and would alert of anything suspicious, but I don't want a software with a lot of background activity.

Windows 10 comes with Windows Defender of course, but I'm not sure if that is a comprehensive enough solution or not.

Thanks for your help!

"M Security" is not an antivirus. "M Security" is not an antivirus. SAY IT WITH ME. "M Security" is NOT an antivirus!!!

Alright, now that we've got that out there, I can wholeheartedly recommend MalwareBytes Premium. Version 3.0 now includes Anti-Exploit and Anti-Ransomware protection built right in, but still only requires a 25MB footprint to run on your computer. It is NOT a replacement for a security suite, but as others have said, if you watch what you do online and use Defender with it, you'll be good to go. http://malwarebytes.com

*I am NOT an affiliate; merely a technician with 10 years experience recommending good security practices.

MBAM_Full_logo.jpg

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

1 hour ago, kirashi said:

"M Security" is not an antivirus. "M Security" is not an antivirus. SAY IT WITH ME. "M Security" is NOT an antivirus!!!

Alright, now that we've got that out there, I can wholeheartedly recommend MalwareBytes Premium. Version 3.0 now includes Anti-Exploit and Anti-Ransomware protection built right in, but still only requires a 25MB footprint to run on your computer. It is NOT a replacement for a security suite, but as others have said, if you watch what you do online and use Defender with it, you'll be good to go. http://malwarebytes.com

*I am NOT an affiliate; merely a technician with 10 years experience recommending good security practices.

MBAM_Full_logo.jpg

I'm familiar with MBAM, however does it have a background process that actively monitors inbound files? The few times I've use it, it was more of a scan tool and not so much a live antivirus software. Granted, that has been several years ago.

9 minutes ago, Atra1n2 said:

I'm familiar with MBAM, however does it have a background process that actively monitors inbound files? The few times I've use it, it was more of a scan tool and not so much a live antivirus software. Granted, that has been several years ago.

The paid Premium version does, yes, and IMO it's well worth paying for instead of a security suite if you apply Common SenseTM and use Windows Defender. 

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

16 minutes ago, kirashi said:

The paid Premium version does, yes, and IMO it's well worth paying for instead of a security suite if you apply Common SenseTM and use Windows Defender. 

Great! That'll be another alternative I'll have to look into.