Encrypting all Traffic?

Nater

My ISP hates me and constantly throttles my gigabit line, what would be the best way to go about encrypting all of the traffic? I run game servers out of my house.

A VPN might be too slow, and I'm not quite sure how I'd use a proxy.

Will something like tcpcrypt work for this?

10 minutes ago, Nater said:

My ISP hates me and constantly throttles my gigabit line, what would be the best way to go about encrypting all of the traffic? I run game servers out of my house.

A VPN might be too slow, and I'm not quite sure how I'd use a proxy.

Will something like tcpcrypt work for this?

The problem is this:

If the other end speaks Tcpcrypt, then your traffic will be encrypted;

The other end must speak Tcpcrypt too. Since I'm pretty certain no game uses it, you can't do this.

The major problem is if you encrypt all your traffic, how does the other side know you've encrypted it or how to decrypt it?

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

The major problem is if you encrypt all your traffic, how does the other side know you've encrypted it or how to decrypt it?

You're asking some tough questions :(

For some reason I didn't think about that, what would you say is the best option?

TCPCRYPT is nice, but it doesn't encrypt anything unless it is supported on the other end.  While it does encrypt, it's not very strong.  While it's better than nothing, it's sort of like wearing a shirt in the rain.  You're not bare skinned, but you're not going to be dry either.  VPN is the best bet, and depending on who you use, it can be really fast.  You will probably have to pay to get the faster speeds though. TCPCRYPT is nice, but it doesn't encrypt everything.  While it does encrypt, it's not very strong.  It's better than nothing, but it's sort of like wearing a shirt in the rain.  You're not bare skinned, but you're not going to be dry either.  VPN is the best bet, and depending on who you use, it can be really fast.  You will probably have to pay to get the faster speeds though.

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

VPN or proxy. :P

Or figure out why your ISP hates you.

I assume it's because it's a local company who doesn't really have very many people to call them out.

How would I use a proxy? I know many people use them for ddos protection, but I don't think anyone has used it for actual encryption. 

3 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Maybe this is why

19 minutes ago, Nater said:

I run game servers out of my house.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

throttling is normal due to you breaking the "fair use" policy. It basically means you have unlimited data but if you download too much that's not fair on other customers.

totally agree finding the reason will be a better solution

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

5 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

throttling is normal due to you breaking the "fair use" policy. It basically means you have unlimited data but if you download too much that's not fair on other customers.

totally agree finding the reason will be a better solution

My ISP once throttled me to 5Mbps for a week after torrenting a small file (legal I might add).

They do not play nice + what isp would want someone actually utilizing the speed they pay for?

A VPN is nice because they can't see what the traffic is.  If they throttle it, you can call them out on it for not delivering the service you're paying for.  

1 minute ago, spiralfuzion said:

#VPN LYFE

I'm also semi confused on how I'd use a VPN, how would it resolve the IP to my game servers IP?

1 minute ago, Nater said:

I'm also semi confused on how I'd use a VPN, how would it resolve the IP to my game servers IP?

maybe reserved ips from certain services. Although most services offer shared ips. 

VPN is encrypted.  They can't see your data as it's in a tunnel.  Then you can choose the external IP address to be from anywhere in the world, particularly one that might provide better ping results.

2 minutes ago, Doramius said:

VPN is encrypted.  They can't see your data as it's in a tunnel.  Then you can choose the external IP address to be from anywhere in the world, particularly one that might provide better ping results.

If I turned on a VPN and then let people connect via the default, that traffic wouldn't be encrypted would it? And if the IP is shared it wouldn't know to go to my ip?

6 minutes ago, Nater said:

My ISP once throttled me to 5Mbps for a week after torrenting a small file (legal I might add).

They do not play nice + what isp would want someone actually utilizing the speed they pay for?

You're vest taking it up with your isp. Remember to bring up "speed I paid for" and "I'm going to leave" though do ask for the reasons before taking the last option.

PureVPN offers a dedicated IP for $1 ($3 for bussiness) a month on a gigabit line in my state, think I might try.

7 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

You're vest taking it up with your isp. Remember to bring up "speed I paid for" and "I'm going to leave" though do ask for the reasons before taking the last option.

Seeing as the only other option is TWC is 20x slower speeds (and twice as expencive) they just laugh.

Will try my luck at a vpn.

Though still confused at how it will work.

6 minutes ago, Nater said:

Seeing as the only other option is TWC is 20x slower speeds (and twice as expencive) they just laugh.

Will try my luck at a vpn.

Though still confused at how it will work.

remember a lot of torrent clients just ignore proxy settings in the app.

Nevermind PureVPN is quite expensive, need to figure out how to use a proxy.

Wait if I used the Proxy as a redirect would that encrypt the incoming and outgoing data?

Proxy and VPN encrypt your packets to an outside source.  So you're encrypted to a point outside of your ISP.  Think of it like a rented quad.  If you bring a girl visibly through the front door, the landlord stops and asks all sorts of questions and may or may not let the girl into your quad.  So instead you put up a sheet to a building across the street.  The girl can go to the building across the street in full view, but is hidden behind the sheet walking into your quad.  No silly questions from the landlord as they don't know who is behind the sheet.  The data is not encrypted all the way to the end destination, just encrypted to a point outside your ISP.  But ALL traffic will be encrypted to the point, so the ISP will not know what traffic it needs to block.  If they throttle you, they have to throttle your whole traffic.  If you don't get the speeds you're paying for, THEY can be in big trouble.  They can block based on specific criteria of traffic, but if they block you overall for speed and service you're paying for, they are in breach of contract and can be sued.  Some locales are even making it illegal for ISPs to block based on criteria for traffic.  Sounds like you're in an area where it's still legal.

7 minutes ago, Doramius said:

Proxy and VPN encrypt your packets to an outside source.  So you're encrypted to a point outside of your ISP.  Think of it like a rented quad.  If you bring a girl visibly through the front door, the landlord stops and asks all sorts of questions and may or may not let the girl into your quad.  So instead you put up a sheet to a building across the street.  The girl can go to the building across the street in full view, but is hidden behind the sheet walking into your quad.  No silly questions from the landlord as they don't know who is behind the sheet.  The data is not encrypted all the way to the end destination, just encrypted to a point outside your ISP.  But ALL traffic will be encrypted to the point, so the ISP will not know what traffic it needs to block.  If they throttle you, they have to throttle your whole traffic.  If you don't get the speeds you're paying for, THEY can be in big trouble.  They can block based on specific criteria of traffic, but if they block you overall for speed and service you're paying for, they are in breach of contract and can be sued.  Some locales are even making it illegal for ISPs to block based on criteria for traffic.  Sounds like you're in an area where it's still legal.

Is there a way to tell if a single port is being throttled?

I understand how it works I just don't see how to implement it.

They generally don't block based on port, but you can test ports by going to sites like www.canyouseeme.org & portquiz.net  For portquiz, you just need to put the website and then the port right afterwards to test the port.  IE: portquiz.net:8080

1 minute ago, Doramius said:

They generally don't block based on port, but you can test ports by going to sites like www.canyouseeme.org & portquiz.net  For portquiz, you just need to put the website and then the port right afterwards to test the port.  IE: portquiz.net:8080

That wouldn't tell me if it's being throttled. I thought you just explained they throttle based connections?

Correct.  They can view your traffic across the connection.  I can change my ports for many things, but that doesn't hide the traffic.  Encrypting the data is what hides it.  I just provided sources so you can test your ports.  I doubt you'll find any useful info, but you have those resources available.  VPN is still your best bet.  Proxies usually hide or mask your IP address from outside sources, but some offer encryption to a point outside of your ISP similar to a VPN.  The problem is many do not until after you connect to the Proxy server.  If that's the case, then the ISP can still see your traffic.  The place where you're getting your data from won't be able to see your IP address, and their ISP might not see the traffic as it would be encrypted to the other end.