Kraken x62 and Stock 7700K High Temps

mlecruz

Just purchased an NZXT Kraken x62. I used Aida64 Stress Test to see what temps I was getting before overclocking. I was surprised to see that my temps are reaching over 80°C. I don't know what's going on. I knew that my temps would be higher than most because I live in South East Asia and it's usually 29°C here but I wasn't expecting this. Any advice would be welcome.

hightemps.PNG

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K @ 4.4GHz CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 GPU: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC Motherboard: Asus Z87-Plus RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3-1600 SSD: Samsung EVO 840 120GB HDD: Western Digital 1TB Blue PSU: Corsair RM1000 Case: NZXT Phantom 630

13 minutes ago, mlecruz said:

Just purchased an NZXT Kraken x62. I used Aida64 Stress Test to see what temps I was getting before overclocking. I was surprised to see that my temps are reaching over 80°C. I don't know what's going on. I knew that my temps would be higher than most because I live in South East Asia and it's usually 29°C here but I wasn't expecting this. Any advice would be welcome.

hightemps.PNG

Make sure that the kraken is making good contact and that the Thermal Paste isn't to little or too much.

The 7700k is notorious for having a shitty thermal interface material between the CPU itself (green PCB) and the heat spreader (the metal plate where you put your thermal paste).

So it's probably a bit over average, but nothing scary.

Your only option to improve those temps is delidding the CPU and to put some proper thermal paste between CPU and heat spreader. 

Or you could also send it back to the retailer and get another one that might be better.

6 minutes ago, Unexas. said:

Make sure that the kraken is making good contact and that the Thermal Paste isn't to little or too much.

I made sure the CPU block was on as tight as it could be.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K @ 4.4GHz CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 GPU: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC Motherboard: Asus Z87-Plus RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3-1600 SSD: Samsung EVO 840 120GB HDD: Western Digital 1TB Blue PSU: Corsair RM1000 Case: NZXT Phantom 630

Running prime95 for max heat I hit maxes of:
core 0: 94C

core 2: 97C

core 3: 92C

core 4: 96C

This was after two minutes of running. Now, I have heard that running prime95 this way produces "unrealistically" high temperatures but I would like to overclock and don't feel safe doing so hitting these temps any suggestions?

SYSTEM SPECS:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yYHbd6

Most important things to check in this situation:

Did you take off the plastic film covering the copper contact plate? Did you apply new thermal paste to the top of the CPU's IHS? Did you seat the cooler correctly over the CPU and mount it properly?

If you did the above correctly, then a delidding might be needed.

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

Your temps are normal. 7700k runs hot. Everyone who owns one says the same thing. 

Delidding is your only option. I did it and got a 10c to 15c teamperature gain during full load.

Something wrong my coolermaster hyper 212x  with corsair ML120 pro fans are performing better.. at stock i get highest temps aeound 75 to 80... at 4.8 oc i get similiar to your results80-87max iv had.. on bouth clock my cpu sits on 35-40 idle  probably isnt sitted well or something take it off, clean it  reaply with good thermal paste and try again.

I had removed my cooler beforehand to make sure the plastic was off, that I had enough thermal paste, was seated properly and so on. sadly the results where the same before as after. Delidding scares me... Don't exactly have the budget to buy a new CPU if I mess up.

21 hours ago, ProNewb4Life said:

I had removed my cooler beforehand to make sure the plastic was off, that I had enough thermal paste, was seated properly and so on. sadly the results where the same before as after. Delidding scares me... Don't exactly have the budget to buy a new CPU if I mess up.

Well try go to bios set the clock to 4.0 ( cpu ratio to 40) and in the voltage section change your cpu core voltage to 1.1 that will low you the temps and trust me you dont need more than 4.0 at the moment... w8 for some bios updates then later you keep checking if your cooler can handle it

Also try to use a good thermal paste.. like noctua's ( i do use it) 

ps if you have gigabyte motherboard iv heard that they boards got many voltage to cpu by default like 1.35 or something if its the casa just low it manualy and you will be ok