Titan XP - water cooling

MATRIX 1

Hi,

Well I what to buy a Titan XP and put a water block on it. So I think I'm going to water cool the cpu first and run the Titan stock air to make sure it works before I add the block to it.

or

Does Nvidia test each card before selling?

14 minutes ago, MATRIX 1 said:

Nah.  They make the GPU and the reference design of the card, but other companies like EVGA, MSI, Asus, etc. are the ones that produce the cards that hit the market.  And 'test' is a vague term, companies might test for compatibility, or stress test, or just make sure it turns on.  But testing for something else like OCs is not something they normally do (some like EVGA are exceptions, which is why they have the DT editions). 

It's relatively safe to say you won't run into issues but I would test it on air first so that if something does go wrong, you don't need to take the cooling off just to troubleshoot any issues.

8 minutes ago, danrey84 said:

In what way do you mean test???

to make sure the unit works and not a dud

8 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

Nah.  They make the GPU and the reference design of the card, but other companies like EVGA, MSI, Asus, etc. are the ones that produce the cards that hit the market.  And 'test' is a vague term, companies might test for compatibility, or stress test, or just make sure it turns on.  But testing for something else like OCs is not something they normally do (some like EVGA are exceptions, which is why they have the DT editions). 

It's relatively safe to say you won't run into issues but I would test it on air first so that if something does go wrong, you don't need to take the cooling off just to troubleshoot any issues.

Thanks for the reassurance. It is too bad Nvidia is not allowing Evga to mod the Titan.....I'm almost thinking of getting the 1080FTW Hydrocopper instead

There will of course be some sort of quality control in place and im sure they are powered up as to what test they do aftwr that i wouldnt like to say 

1 minute ago, danrey84 said:

There will of course be some sort of quality control in place and im sure they are powered up as to what test they do aftwr that i wouldnt like to say 

I would hope so for the price.  thanks

1 minute ago, Unrealcpu said:

Watercooled titan

Drools

you have one?

25 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

NVIDIA cut the board partners off on the Titan XP.  NVIDIA is the only place you can buy a Titan this gen.

37 minutes ago, MATRIX 1 said:

Hi,

Well I what to buy a Titan XP and put a water block on it. So I think I'm going to water cool the cpu first and run the Titan stock air to make sure it works before I add the block to it.

or

NVIDIA has good quality control, but....if you're looking to keep your warranty after adding a waterblock to the TitanXP.....don't count on it.  As soon as you remove the stock air cooler, your warranty is gone.  NVIDIA doesn't allow for it.  

CPU: Ryzen 1600X @ 4.15ghz  MB: ASUS Crosshair VI Mem: 32GB GSkill TridenZ 3200
GPU: 1080 FTW PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000P2 / EVGA SuperNova 750P2  SSD: 512GB Samsung 950 PRO
HD: 2 x 1TB WD Black in RAID 0  Cooling: Custom cooling loop on CPU and GPU  OS: Windows 10

3 minutes ago, Vellinious said:

NVIDIA has good quality control, but....if you're looking to keep your warranty after adding a waterblock to the TitanXP.....don't count on it.  As soon as you remove the stock air cooler, your warranty is gone.  NVIDIA doesn't allow for it.  

SOmeone mentioned if you are careful with the sticker.... and save it..?

2 minutes ago, MATRIX 1 said:

well i mean, if you know all their tricks to know if a warranty is voided or not and knows exactly how to make it so you can put the air cooler on it without them knowing, it's up to you but if they somehow find out anyway you are still in trouble with a voided warranty. it's your choice at this point.

2 minutes ago, Howitz said:

well i mean, if you know all their tricks to know if a warranty is voided or not and knows exactly how to make it so you can put the air cooler on it without them knowing, it's up to you but if they somehow find out anyway you are still in trouble with a voided warranty. it's your choice at this point

risk vs reward ..... hhmm

10 minutes ago, MATRIX 1 said:

Do so at your own peril.  But.....putting a block on a pascal GPU that's already hitting the power limit on air, and may yield you an extra 100mhz overclock before it hits the power limit again?  Doesn't sound like a good trade off to me.  

That's why I got rid of mine, and went with 2 x 1080s.  

CPU: Ryzen 1600X @ 4.15ghz  MB: ASUS Crosshair VI Mem: 32GB GSkill TridenZ 3200
GPU: 1080 FTW PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000P2 / EVGA SuperNova 750P2  SSD: 512GB Samsung 950 PRO
HD: 2 x 1TB WD Black in RAID 0  Cooling: Custom cooling loop on CPU and GPU  OS: Windows 10

6 minutes ago, MATRIX 1 said:

risk vs reward ..... hhmm

now the question is, what reward... a larger overclock headroom? is it really worth it, we are talking about a titan here... lower temps for possibly longer lifespan? i mean, you still have the warranty on it so it somehow count in the lifespan category to me... plus you would have to pay for the waterblock too...

i think your best bet, depending on your needs, would be to just get a good aftermarket gtx1080, save plenty of $$$ and still fill your needs for some time.

now the other qestion is, what are your needs? is it 4k gaming at max settings? 3d modelling and such? in such case a titan ''might'' be the best choice, but it would still be filled by the gtx1080. all depends on your needs really. on the opposite, if you want to do 1080p gaming on a titan (which i'm sure some people are doing) then my question is why the heck to get a titan in the first place when a gtx1060 or rx480 would shine.

1 minute ago, Vellinious said:

Do so at your own peril.  But.....putting a block on a pascal GPU that's already hitting the power limit on air, and may yield you an extra 100mhz overclock before it hits the power limit again?  Doesn't sound like a good trade off to me.  

true its the noisey fan on the titan I do not like.

I have so far : Phantek enthoo temper glass case- 6850k CPU ( I noticed you have 6950x ) - Corsair 1500iPSU - 64 GB Corsair 3200 vengenance ram - Samsung M.2 1TB SSD - x99 deluxe II

5 minutes ago, Howitz said:

now the question is, what reward... a larger overclock headroom? is it really worth it, we are talking about a titan here... lower temps for possibly longer lifespan? i mean, you still have the warranty on it so it somehow count in the lifespan category to me... plus you would have to pay for the waterblock too...

i think your best bet, depending on your needs, would be to just get a good aftermarket gtx1080, save plenty of $$$ and still fill your needs for some time.

now the other qestion is, what are your needs? is it 4k gaming at max settings? 3d modelling and such? in such case a titan ''might'' be the best choice, but it would still be filled by the gtx1080. all depends on your needs really.

3d modeling for 3-d printers, some gaming.  Waiting for 3-d editing changes starts to seem like forever. 

2 minutes ago, MATRIX 1 said:

3d modeling for 3-d printers, some gaming.  Waiting for 3-d editing changes starts to seem like forever. 

okay, make sure to seek information about what time difference you will get in a real world scenario in your 3d modelling softwares with titan vs gtx1080, it might only be a few seconds and be worth it or not depending on your expectations and your patience.

some specific benchmarks that you can probably find online can be a good reference for that.

3 minutes ago, Howitz said:

okay, make sure to seek information about what time difference you will get in a real world scenario in your 3d modelling softwares with titan vs gtx1080, it might only be a few seconds and be worth it or not depending on your expectations and your patience.

some specific benchmarks that you can probably find online can be a good reference for that.

Good advice.  I actually flew down and spent a weekend using software, designing and printing objects with my labtop which is a ASUS G75 and I was soon waiting for computer to render output. click, click.............

It's always a good idea to run your conponents on air before disassembling them to fit water blocks. Depending on your type of chipset and CPU, you could try booting it up after fitting the blocks, with no water in the system to save time. In most cases, you should be able to get it to post before the temperatures rise too much. Probably wouldn't take thar chance with a Titan XP, though.

Also - water cooled Titan XPs for lyfe! :)

c u r r e n t  /  ROG MAXIMUS Z690 FORMULA  /  I7-12700K  /  2080TI  /  32GB DDR5  /  LIAN LI PC-O11 DYNAMIC

Z170 STINGER  /  6700K  /  TITAN X  /  32GB DDR4  /  NZXT MANTA  /  j u i c e b o x  build log

nohasslemods 

14 hours ago, Hasle said:

It's always a good idea to run your conponents on air before disassembling them to fit water blocks. Depending on your type of chipset and CPU, you could try booting it up after fitting the blocks, with no water in the system to save time. In most cases, you should be able to get it to post before the temperatures rise too much. Probably wouldn't take thar chance with a Titan XP, though.

Also - water cooled Titan XPs for lyfe! :)

I will definitely air run first. So you have a Titan?

3 minutes ago, MATRIX 1 said:

I will definitely air run first. So you have a Titan?

Using one in my current project, yes. Not up and running yet. :)

c u r r e n t  /  ROG MAXIMUS Z690 FORMULA  /  I7-12700K  /  2080TI  /  32GB DDR5  /  LIAN LI PC-O11 DYNAMIC

Z170 STINGER  /  6700K  /  TITAN X  /  32GB DDR4  /  NZXT MANTA  /  j u i c e b o x  build log

nohasslemods 

1 minute ago, Hasle said:

Using one in my current project, yes. Not up and running yet. :)

So you would say , nothing compares to the Titan?

21 hours ago, MATRIX 1 said:

Hi,

or

Always test before water cooling. Also get a backplate... saves card if you get drip

2 hours ago, MATRIX 1 said:

So you would say , nothing compares to the Titan?

Well, if I had $1500 just lying around, I would buy one in a heartbeat... but college and having savings are apparently important (who knew).