HP laptops batteries catching fire, HP issueing a recall

suicidalfranco

What's up with batteries these days?

As of today the US CPSC have issued a major recall on HP and Compaq laptops, affected batteries manufactured by Panasonic measure:

8 to 10.5 inches long, 2 inches wide and about 1 inch high

and have model number:

6EBVA, 6DGAL, 6DEMH, 6DEMA, 6CZMB, 6CGFK or 6BZLU

If you have a laptop with one of the affected batteries here's the CPSC guide on what to do:

Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled batteries, remove them from the notebook computers and contact HP for a free replacement battery.  Until a replacement battery is received, consumers should use the notebook computer by plugging it into AC power only. Batteries previously identified as not affected by the June 2016 recall could be included in this expanded announcement.  Consumers are urged to recheck their batteries

Be safe and and if you own an HP or Compaq laptop be sure the check that your battery isn't affected, cause they have already started catching fire:

the CPSC said the laptop batteries can cause fires, resulting in melting and charring computers. One incident caused about $1,000 worth of damage, presumably not including the actual laptop that went up in flames.

source: http://www.technobuffalo.com/2017/01/25/hp-laptop-recall-batteries/

Edited by GoodBytes
Removed tag on title

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

LEL Note 7 copycat.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

One criticism. Since I obviously have no idea what model the battery inside my wife's HP is, I had to go look through the link. Filled advertisements, Java bugs, and all sorts of stuff I don't want touching my PC without protection...

Anyways, I digress. The affected models: "HP Compaq, HP ProBook, HP ENVY, Compaq Presario (they still make those things?) and HP Pavilion brand names.

So, it looks like the Spectre beats out the rest of the HP lineup again...

1 hour ago, CmzPlusHardware said:

Its been a bad year for electronics catching fire/exploding. 

?

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

12 hours ago, CmzPlusHardware said:

Its been a bad year for electronics catching fire/exploding. 

At least HP doesn't make washers...

So how about we stop putting fire hazards aka lithium ion batteries in stuff and get something new in that a: doesn't make your portable device a potential bomb and b: lasts a fuckton longer per charge.

Ye ole' train

3 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

So how about we stop putting fire hazards aka lithium ion batteries in stuff and get something new in that a: doesn't make your portable device a potential bomb and b: lasts a fuckton longer per charge.

You want Nickel-Cadmium batteries? They're worse. Li-Ion was actually a big innovation from Ni-Cd batteries. You probably would like to consider Graphene batteries. https://phys.org/news/2016-07-fast-charging-everlasting-battery-power-graphene.html

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

vndjf.jpg

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

12 hours ago, Ryujin2003 said:

One criticism. Since I obviously have no idea what model the battery inside my wife's HP is, I had to go look through the link. Filled advertisements, Java bugs, and all sorts of stuff I don't want touching my PC without protection...

Anyways, I digress. The affected models: "HP Compaq, HP ProBook, HP ENVY, Compaq Presario (they still make those things?) and HP Pavilion brand names.

So, it looks like the Spectre beats out the rest of the HP lineup again...

It still amazes me when people buy compaq. They are and always have been such atrocious shit.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

11 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

It still amazes me when people buy compaq. They are as always have been such atrocious shit.

i've always had better experience and longer lasting laptops from compaq than hp :|

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

2 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

i've always had better experience and longer lasting laptops from compaq than hp :|

IL the only reason I own a Spectre is because Sony doesn't make a Vaio anymote.

Happy with the Spectre. I've learned the money you spend is returned over time. I wouldn't have been happy with anything less, like the POs Envy or any 400 laptop. I understand people have budgets, but sometimes budget means compromising the quality of hardware.... Batteries included.

Interesting, my HP laptop has a battery manufacture date of 05/16 and didn't match any of the models listed, will be interesting to see if it's expanded. Its model number is like DB7I

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

3 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

It still amazes me when people buy compaq. They are and always have been such atrocious shit.

3 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

They all last equally. Who are we kidding.

I7-7700k@5.1ghz + 1080ti @ 2050mhz + 32gbs Ram + 2TB SSD = CSGO

i7-6700k@4.9ghz + 980ti @ 1501mhz + 16gbs Ram + 1 TB SSD = Backup

i7-3770k@4.8ghz + 680 4gb + 32gbs Ram + 500gb SSD = Retired/Office work