Modmic 4 vs Modmic 5? Is the 5 worth the price difference?

I was looking to get a microphone for online gaming and possibly making YouTube videos, and I am nearly out of space on my desk, so a Modmic would be a great option for me (I already have a pair of Bose QC 15s). However, the Modmic 4 is only $40-50, and the 5 is around $70. Is the modmic 5 really worth the extra cable management options, slightly better sound quality, etc., or should I get the cheaper Modmic 4? 

Thanks!

modmic 4

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Never tried the 5, but the 4 has really low gain and needs to be boosted a lot to be audible, so if you don't have an external mic input or sound card you will likely get a lot of static.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Never tried the 5, but the 4 has really low gain and needs to be boosted a lot to be audible, so if you don't have an external mic input or sound card you will likely get a lot of static.

I heard something about that with the unidirectional mic. Is it the same with the omnidirectional, or is the static lower/better?

3 minutes ago, Casimiro4366 said:

I heard something about that with the unidirectional mic. Is it the same with the omnidirectional, or is the static lower/better?

I have no idea...

Maybe someone with the omnidirectional version can give some input?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

• CPU: Intel Core i7-6700k @4.3ghz, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @2400mhz, GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 , Case: Corsair 300R, Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 256GB SSD, WD 1TB Black HDD, WD 2TB HDD PSU: Evga SuperNova 750 G2, Display: ASUS VG248QE @144hz, Cooling: Cooler Master V8 GTS, Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum, Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed, Sound: Phillips SHP9500 + VModa Boom Pro, Operating System: Windows 10 Pro
  •  

17 minutes ago, Enderman said:

I have the ModMic 4 and I haven't noticed any issues with it. It sounds very clear (for a $40 mic anyway) and I tend to speak at a normal conversation volume (maybe a bit quieter).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I have a modmic 4 omnidirectional and love it, but when it was connected directly to my motherboard, there was a high pitch hiss i the background. My friend gave me a cheap USB DAC just for the mic and it works really well now. I would really recommend it. Here's the DAC. 

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-External-Adapter-Windows-AU-MMSA/dp/B00IRVQ0F8/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1485216047&sr=8-7&keywords=usb+dac

My main computer:

i7 6700k || GTX 1070 || Asus Z170 RGB || C.M. Hyper 212 EVO || 16GB RAM || 256GB NVMe SSD || 500GB SATA SSD || 12TB total HDD || Define R5 Blackout || 850W PSU

More Details Below :) 

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k                             GPU:  EVGA GTX 1070 FTW                                  |  Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Aura
CPU Cooler: C.M. Hyper 212 EVO             RAM: 16GB Kingston Fury 4x4 DDR4 2400MHz         SSD:  Intel 256GB NVMe SSD & Plextor 500GB SATA SSD

Hard Drive:  WD 2TB Black, 2TB WD Blue, 8TB WD Red     Case:  Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition   PSU:  Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W

Additional Computer Parts: NZXT Hue for LEDs

Peripherals: Dell U2414H (x2) || Corsair Sabre RGB || Corsair K95 Platinum || Sennheiser 558's || Modmic

Pictures of setup:

Heya Guys!

Sorry for the delay, yesterday was SLAMMED for meetings (but in super secret news, we may be announcing a sponsorship of our first tier 1 esports team!)

So there are a few great items being tossed around in this thread:

#1: Does the gain need to be turned way up on the ModMic? - Some users certainly have this problem. It's a known issue for both the 4 and the 5. A USB stick will solve the issue.

#2: Does the 4 or 5 pick up a lot of EMI (white noise) - The uni-directional mic picks up more than the omni and is audible for a decent chunk of customers. We STRONGLY recommend the Sabrent DAC posted above... or if you want to support us directly, our own Antlion USB (which is admittedly more expensive and basically the same thing).

So basically that little USB stick solves your problem in pretty much every case. In ALL cases, there's no material difference between the mic in the 4 and the 5, meaning if you get EMI with the 4 uni, you will get EMI with the 5 in uni mode as well.

Now, 5 vs 4 is its own item:

Do you need the ModMic 5? Here are the key benefits:

Modular Cable means three important things:  1 - It will last longer (Cable breaks are common fail points for audio gear). 2- You can unhook it easily and go between console and PC with ease.  3- You can adjust the length, which is great for front port vs. back port, console, etc.  Also, not really a feature, but we are secretly working on some interesting ideas that will make use of the modular system.

Dual Mic Modes means 1 important thing: If you are using the ModMic in environments where switching between quality and noise cancelling is important then you should strongly consider the 5 (assuming the extra 20 dollars isn't the difference between making a rent payment or something). For instance if you want to do live streaming at home where you want good quality but then want to go to a lan party or your significant other has a habit of VACUUMING every time you're in CS:GO trying to warn someone of an approaching enemy (was this too specific?) being able to swap into noise canceling is super handy. If you're either gaming in an all fairly quiet location or all fairly noisy one, you should strongly consider getting an Omni or Uni ModMic 4 respectively.

There's other improvements to the 5 that are handy too, like cable wraps (good if you dont move your headphones around) and a stronger magnet, stiffer boom arm, and improved cables, but they're minor compared to the above.

Hope this helps!

Director of Marketing for Antlion Audio, creators of the ModMic.

More info at www.ModMic.com

Ask questions, I'm friendly!