Xeon E5-2670 or i5 7600k

Hi guys!

wondering which is better for my needs, i'm a casual gamer so my pc will run just the a few games like LoL, skyrim, Rise of the tomb raider, witcher etc.

the story is a received a x99 motherboard as a gift but i have no processor, i was wondering should i just sell it and buy an 7600k with a z270 or buy a xeon e5 2670(on sale on a surplus store)

my computer will just work as a gaming station and work station, the application i use for work is just the basic ones, chrome, word and skype(i'm a onlone teacher), so my programs are basically needs only 1 or 2 cores.

thanks in advance!

I would really recommend getting the i5 (or maybe a 7700k if you can afford it since there are some games who really like more threads). The (much) higher clock speed will give you some significant improvements in games. 

WHIPLASH

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k @4.7GHz

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 2x8GB @3000MHz

MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus VIII Ranger

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS

CASE: Fractal Design Define S

17 minutes ago, MarcusLibelus said:

Hi guys!

wondering which is better for my needs, i'm a casual gamer so my pc will run just the a few games like LoL, skyrim, Rise of the tomb raider, witcher etc.

the story is a received a x99 motherboard as a gift but i have no processor, i was wondering should i just sell it and buy an 7600k with a z270 or buy a xeon e5 2670(on sale on a surplus store)

my computer will just work as a gaming station and work station, the application i use for work is just the basic ones, chrome, word and skype(i'm a onlone teacher), so my programs are basically needs only 1 or 2 cores.

thanks in advance!

I really can't recommend Xeons unless you're using a dual socket or above board, sure I know some people will object, but they cost more for the reason of being scalable and supporting more RAM. As they are for work station use, they're, depending on work loads, around the same as the i7 on the LGA 2011-3 socket, depending on your workload, but for single processor used I'd always pick an i7, because if I need more cores than that, then I could probably use double the CPU's too. For gaming that CPU would be of questionable performance versus an i5 7600K, I assume you're referring to the Version 3 of the e5 2670, the one for the LGA 2011-3 socket. It has got 12 cores, which is a good amount for heavy multi threaded workloads, and the 3.1GHz turbo boost means it can game ok, an i5 7600k would ultimately be better once overclocked. 

Yours faithfully

1 hour ago, Lord Nicoll said:

I really can't recommend Xeons unless you're using a dual socket or above board, sure I know some people will object, but they cost more for the reason of being scalable and supporting more RAM.

These CPUs cost significantly less than normal ones, while supporting these features, I can buy two E5-2670's for $120, these CPUs are very powerful for multi core usage, however, this is not what most people on this forum will be using them for.

1 hour ago, MarcusLibelus said:

X99 Motherboards are not compatible with an E5-2670 Because it has the LGA 2011-3 instead of the E5-2670's LGA 2011 Layourt. 

1 hour ago, MarcusLibelus said:

It will be very beneficial to you for to buy a Kaby Lake CPU as they are much higher IPC than the aging Sandy Bridge-EX CPUs. These Xeons are very power for computing tasks, this is due to their higher core count and ability to be ran in multi CPU scenarios, however they are also extremely cheap and can be used for budget rigs if you can find a board for them.

My current build - Ever Changing.

Number 1 On LTT LGA 1150 CPU Cinebench R15

http://hwbot.org/users/TheGamingBarrel

8 minutes ago, TheGamingBarrel said:

X99 Motherboards are not compatible with an E5-2670 Because it has the LGA 2011-3 instead of the E5-2670's LGA 2011 Layourt. 

Definitely be aware of the above.

For X99, look at E5 v3 or v4 CPUs, and check bios support first before looking at v4. There's often many ES samples on ebay which are cheaper than retail equivalents. I've got a 14 core one for less cost than a i5-6600k at the time, and have no problems with it. The tradeoff is, the more cores, the lower the clock usually is. For gaming, it is better to have fewer faster cores (but not less than 4), than many slower ones.

A consumer level system would be more logical if starting from nothing, but as OP has the X99 mobo already, it is worth looking at using.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

12 hours ago, TheGamingBarrel said:

These CPUs cost significantly less than normal ones, while supporting these features, I can buy two E5-2670's for $120, these CPUs are very powerful for multi core usage, however, this is not what most people on this forum will be using them for.

I did specify the version three of the processor, the difference is a lot like the LGA 2011 and 2011-3 sockets, the number on the end. The first generation E5-2670 is a solid CPU for the price, but I still prefer LGA 1366 and LGA 1567 systems as they have had quite a lot of value knocked off them and power isn't too expensive where I live. 

I use multi Xeon servers for boinc, I'm currently waiting on delivery of more old LGA 1366 systems, and the one I do have lying around have to wait until my new workshop is built for them with rack space. 

Yours faithfully