Thoughts on Th Grand Tour

LawrenceBarnes2013

So how do we like it so far guys  ? personally i like a lot, yes i do get the feeling that at least in the tent, it's a little over scripted, and because they have a big budget they did make it a bit too "ambitious but rubbish" yet it still has a bit of TG in there, it's still three old blokes cocking about, and i think it's just the fact that the lads aren't as comfy with it yet, yes they've been doing this since ever and yet it is a show that had to deliver a wif of TG for the Veteran viewers but have a new feel to it as well. So overall i love it.

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

For me there's too much staged humour and as you said over scripted, but I've still enjoyed it so far. 

Hammond gets on my tits a bit

1 minute ago, obi-fade-kenobi said:

For me there's too much staged humour and as you said over scripted, but I've still enjoyed it so far. 

Yeah yeah, exactly but as i said, it's a bit like being the freshman in class, so let's give it some time.

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

I've watched top gear since the second or third series and i've always liked it. I even like the new top gear (if only matt and chris would fuck off).

The grand tour does feel too scripted though and whilst celebrity brain crash was funny at the start it'll get old. Conversation street will never get old though. I think some things have been done well and others badly. I suppose it's just them trying to appeal to a more American audience.

Overall, I think it better than their later series of TG. Clarkson I think was holding back too much there, with the implied and direct threats from the BBC, he couldn't be himself. Now free of that, they seem to work better. I do agree, the scripting is too obvious at times and it doesn't feel as spontaneous. But also like their days on TG, there have been some better moments, some worse... the wow factor is decaying, and there is a bit too much reuse on jokes. Hope they don't get stuck and still come up with fresh ideas. I think the overall cringe factor has gone down a bit, which helps.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I can complain of a lot of things but I will not since it gives me a smile on my face and I can´t stop watching so there is no point. I like watching it

On 1/15/2017 at 8:20 AM, obi-fade-kenobi said:

agreed - too much obviously scripted humor.

apart from that, it's pretty damn good. as Jeremy Clarkson said, its TopGear in witness protection.

ESXi SysAdmin

I have more cores/threads than you...and I use them all

2 minutes ago, infigo said:

I can complain of a lot of things but I will not since it gives me a smile on my face and I can´t stop watching so there is no point. I like watching it

Exactly, i've seen some flaws with it but those three are part of me so really i can't complain, i was so happy when heard it wasn't the end, i was thrilled. and any way give it some time and it'll peak just like TG.

2 minutes ago, Sunshine1868 said:

agreed - too much obviously scripted humor.

apart from that, it's pretty damn good. as Jeremy Clarkson said, its TopGear in witness protection.

It's like jezza said, it's like your little brother, sister or son, no matter how bad they behave, you can't stop loving theme.

Hammond isn't funny no matter how hard he tries 

7 minutes ago, obi-fade-kenobi said:

I wouldn't say so, but again it's still kinda weird for them, it is.

22 minutes ago, obi-fade-kenobi said:

he is funny when he doesnt mean to....

On 15/01/2017 at 2:20 PM, obi-fade-kenobi said:

Hammond gets on my tits a bit

same with original (not the original original from back in the 70s and 80s) "Top Gear". Crap and scripted to death until around season 6-7... that was when they slowly started to let loose

3 minutes ago, Prysin said:

he is funny when he doesnt mean to....

same with original (not the original original from back in the 70s and 80s) "Top Gear". Crap and scripted to death until around season 6-7... that was when they slowly started to let loose

I don't remember the earlier seasons having so much scripted humour, I mean there was some there, but it's like The Grand Tour has no original humour. 

What I should have said is Hammond has too much scripted humour, and isn't good at making it look natural; whereas May on the other hand, clearly has some scripted conundrums but still makes them fun to watch. And Jeremy makes it fairly obvious it's scripted but is still funny 

idk lol

3 minutes ago, obi-fade-kenobi said:

I don't remember the earlier seasons having so much scripted humour, I mean there was some there, but it's like The Grand Tour has no original humour. 

What I should have said is Hammond has too much scripted humour, and isn't good at making it look natural; whereas May on the other hand, clearly has some scripted conundrums but still makes them fun to watch. And Jeremy makes it fairly obvious it's scripted but is still funny 

idk lol

well atm they must be extremely careful as BBC will be watching like hawks in order to sue the show into oblivion if they use too much jokes or types of presenting seen in top gear.

16 minutes ago, Prysin said:

well atm they must be extremely careful as BBC will be watching like hawks in order to sue the show into oblivion if they use too much jokes or types of presenting seen in top gear.

Can you claim humour or style of presenting as property.... 

4 minutes ago, Prysin said:

can you NOT claim it when its the same trio, in the same genre, in more or less exactly the same way of presenting?

I don't think they can call it theirs though.... 

1 minute ago, Prysin said:

can you NOT claim it when its the same trio, in the same genre, in more or less exactly the same way of presenting?

Maybe I'm mis-reading this, but you can't say a personality is owned by the BBC? In a similar way, non-compete clauses are generally considered unenforceable in general employment contracts.

I'd think the BBC would be extremely limited in what they could do as long as GT doesn't attempt to use TG's more obvious IP, and not even Clarkson is that stupid.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

It's the only show I watch on Amazon Prime video atm, but it isn't perfect. While it's nice seeing the trio back, 3 things stand out that needs addressing (for me personally).  

The scripting. Old TG had it too, but it feels not to this extent--still better than current TG. Celeb section--that joke ran thin episode 2. Before I liked that section in TG, but GT I skip the video a bit to pass it. And finally, the Stig replacement. "The American" is  just super cringe and the joke wore thin quickly. 

I downloaded the first few episodes (there was no Amazon Prime here yet, so don't judge me).  First one was good but nothing special, same for the second one, in the 3rd one Hammond and the celebrity brain crash nonsense really got on my nerves.  The 4th one got such negative reviews that I didn't even bother downloading it.  Haven't even thought about watching any later episodes, I just don't care anymore.

Old Top Gear was good, but as far as I'm concerned it's really over now.  As for the "New Top Gear" ... phah!

I think if they don't scrap the Celebrity Brain Crash or whatever it's called next season I can see it going downhill (if they don't respond to quite obvious criticism). Haven't seen any positive comments on that section, it got boring have the 2nd time and now it's just pointless. 

As for the over-scripting, I don't think they'll do anything about that personally. Whilst it's extremely cringey, it's more or less the entire style of the show they seem to have gone with. 

Also does it not annoy anyone else that you pay £8/month for Prime and have to spend 15 seconds at the start of a show/film for an ad for some other Prime Video Original thing