Moving to Canada (Windsor, ON) tomorrow, need some info ASAP

Megazero
1 hour ago, bossman1 said:

Does Shaw rent from the big three or did Wind install their own infrastructure and thats what Shaw bought into, so to improve they need to keep in$talling. I could easily enough google it. If I remember correctly they install their own network, that is why they only have the major city zones, then when you step out you get no service or reduced service. Basically if they pop you into the rental side you are not a high priority on the rented network.

Wind has always had their own Network. The "Wind Zone". They roam outside of that zone, at a $/MB fee for users. Wind Mobile did introduce a package (their top tier plan) that included 1GB of off-zone roaming data - I do not know if this plan continues with Freedom Mobile.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

3 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Don't eat yellow snow

Maybe the O.P. has never seen snow and will not be prepared. Coming off the plane in -30C weather in flip flops is always funny to watch.

Just dont eat snow at all!

11 hours ago, bossman1 said:

I cant find the lady that was speaking at Justin Trudeau's town hall meeting that was on the news. Very emotional lady claiming $1000 hydro bill O.o in a single family home and only her in the house. Who knows if thats in a month, or over many months. Somehow I think she's paying half her bill or 1/4 of it and racked up 1G in over due payments over several months. She's moaning about the new Carbon tax. Either way its good enough reason to cut the cord or change living life style. Not sure why a poor single person needs an entire house anyways. Maybe if she was a new Syrian immigrant she could easily afford her house but she is not.

There are some rental units that include elec and water, I have seen for sale condo's that included elec, but those use very little to heat the space. Its the condo's fee's that are the snag. For every $550 in a mortgage, that goes towards $100,000, remember that you need 5%/100k for the down payment as well. You can easily off set the cost by renting out rooms for $500 to $600, but maybe Windsor has cheaper room rental prices. Its all about location. Is it on a bus line? How many buses are available in the vacinity? Close to grocery stores and department stores? Restaraunts? Whats the traffic like? Walking distance to the train? Is the area shitty or poor, maybe cheap houses, lots of immigrants. Look at the crime rate, statistical information is easy available but there is no need, a quick drive around a neighbor hood gives you a general idea. You can tell which houses are rental houses by how the house appears. Unmowed lawns, crap strewn around everywhere, roof shingles are curled up, back alleys give you signs as well. These are all factors that play into the price of accomodation.

Dont forget to take full advantage of the countless immigration services available to you. You get more services then multi-generational homeless people. Also there is a GST rebate check low, which is usually around $60 every so often. There are also countless ESL courses you can take, most of the free ones I have seen churches put on.

I use Car2Go a lot, I love it. Its great for short trips that are an hour, otherwise its better to rent a $20/day car from a car rental agency or buy an ebike like what Linus has in his shop and did a review on. I heard Uber is great and much cheaper then a taxi.

Depending on your age you can get cheap insurance for a car. A car would cost you $500 at a minimum, and averages around $1500. Buy a 1.6L engine because they are great on fuel, but a real safety danger if you were to get into an accident because most Canadians drive trucks. Repairs - Well you will just have to buy some tools and learn yourself. Thats what I did. Do your own oil changes, brakes, exhaust, spark plugs. The good thing with $500 cars, is you can junk them for free. Countless Junk Car haulers around. Oh and remember to buy CAA membership and buy the premium 160km tow package. It will save you money. You get free fuel if you run out, free tire change, free tows. You get a certain amount for free so dont waste it on fuel or tire changes. It also provides lockout services. Again dont waste it.

A service you could provide is a delivery service. Put an add on Kijiji. Or you could provide an Ikea assembly service.

I have no idea what you mean about the 1st one :P

I end up rented a room that's only $350CAD per month, 20$ more for internet, everything else included. As it's cheap it's kinda... dont have anything but 2 mattress (I live like Denis now XD), so I will be going to mall to buy most stuff, including a chair/table too. They do have washing machine, drying machine and small kitchen which is nice since I'm going to have to cook. 

I have 0 idea what ESL, GST etc is :P I also dont know what kind of immigration services available to me yet. So far onlything I have is a free bus pass from the uni, which is nice. Was thinking abt setting up a desktop but I'm not sure anymore.

I can drive and I have license back at home, but I forgot to bring it to Canada, I doubt it can be converted anyway, but I think I will just get another one. the student helper girl said that if I plan to do that I should get a G1 license or smt like that, I'm not sure what that mean yet. Why do you buy a car insurance if you dont have a car? And how do a car cost only $500? Or do u mean $500 per month?

Also no idea what u are talking about delivery service and IKEA assembly :P

I seen alittle snow today, even though it's -7C. what I see is like a tiny bit here and there that's has already been shoveled out of the way in a chump. no idea why anyone would want to eat that, it's look dirty :P I did prepare coats and stuff, which is ok-ish as I get out for the first time, BUT after a whole day of running around due to some problem in the uni I got super hot I take it out for the rest of the day outside, beside inside the house is warm so it's fine.

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

Yes there is cheap rent to be had, I find most of the $350/m range they want asian people of their own kind and the ad is written in Tagalog which is asian language.

Yes your drivers license can be converted quite easily. Many a criminal has used international driving licenses to drive. I watched a show about dangerous drivers and one fellow from Pakistan was on it and living in Ontario who ended up being Canada's Worst Driver. All he had to do was start the car in India and he got his license, and the Ontario province let him get away with it without any tests. This show has on it  scardicats, Speeders, Dangerous, LGBT, muscle, hotties, nerds, immigrant, family, young, old. They try to fill the stereotypical role, which I believe the show to be fake after watching the latest season. Some big woman freaky looking with pig nostril earring always texting ended up being the worst driver. I guess they needed viewers so they amped up the fakeness.

Eating snow is a childish joke we played in grade school. So its said even today.

Ikea is a Danish furniture mega store where you have to put it together yourself.

Immigration services are everywhere, immigrants get more attention then homeless people. And I am sure there is way more of that in Ontario then where I am from.

GST is a 5% sales tax, Ontario you also pay an additional 8%, so add 13% to everything you buy, except milk and bread and essentials.

2 hours ago, Megazero said:

ESL

This means "English as a Second Language". It's a course that people, mainly new immigrants, take in order to learn English. I don't really think you need it though, but you can try it out if you want.

I also dont know what kind of immigration services available to me yet.

If you want to get a job, you should get a temporary SIN (Social Insurance Number), and temporary work permit. You can find more information here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/index.asp

the student helper girl said that if I plan to do that I should get a G1 license or smt like that, I'm not sure what that mean yet.

In Canada, there are three (main) kind of driving licenses for cars: G1, G2, and G. G1 is the written test. It will allow you to drive when you're accompanied by someone with a G license who has 4 or more years of experience. G2 can be obtained 1 year after getting your G1. It's your main road test. You can now drive on all Ontario roads and highways without a "senior" driver with you. Your blood alcohol level has to be 0 though. To get your G license, you have to pass another road test with a focus on highway driving. This is the license where most restrictions are lifted.

I don't know much about converting a driver's license from another country, so I'll just leave this: http://settlement.org/ontario/daily-life/transportation/driver-s-licence/i-have-a-driver-s-licence-from-another-country-how-do-i-get-an-ontario-driver-s-licence/

If you don't plan on driving at all, you can get an Ontario photo card: https://www.ontario.ca/page/ontario-photo-card?_ga=1.155737851.1999565698.1484387370

You can use that as a form of ID as well.

CPU: Intel i5 3550           | Cooler: Corsair A50          | Motherboard: Asus P8Z77      | Storage: Crucial MX200 250GB |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB   | GPU: GTX 1650                | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)  | PSU: EVGA 650W G2            |

3 minutes ago, Gale said:

This means "English as a Second Language". It's a course that people, mainly new immigrants, take in order to learn English. I don't really think you need it though, but you can try it out if you want.

If you want to get a job, you should get a temporary SIN (Social Insurance Number), and temporary work permit. You can find more information here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/index.asp

In Canada, there are three (main) kind of driving licenses for cars: G1, G2, and G. G1 is the written test. It will allow you to drive when you're accompanied by someone with a G license who has 4 or more years of experience. G2 can be obtained 1 year after getting your G1. It's your main road test. You can now drive on all Ontario roads and highways without a "senior" driver with you. Your blood alcohol level has to be 0 though. To get your G license, you have to pass another road test with a focus on highway driving. This is the license where most restrictions are lifted.

I don't know much about converting a driver's license from another country, so I'll just leave this: http://settlement.org/ontario/daily-life/transportation/driver-s-licence/i-have-a-driver-s-licence-from-another-country-how-do-i-get-an-ontario-driver-s-licence/

If you don't plan on driving at all, you can get an Ontario photo card: https://www.ontario.ca/page/ontario-photo-card?_ga=1.155737851.1999565698.1484387370

You can use that as a form of ID as well.

My English should be ok :P My accent seem a bit weird cause the first 2 people I meet (cab driver and on in McDonald) dont seen to be able to understand me much, but the rest is fine so far.

I will get a SIN soon, and my study permit also permit under 20 hours of work per weeks, so I will look for a part time job sooner or later.

I read up about the license a bit, and I think I will just go through the whole process instead of convert since my understanding on traffic is screwed in Vietnam. Do you know if after getting G1 do I need to have xx hours of drive in 1 year before getting G2 or just get G1, dont drive at all until 1 year later and I still can get G2? (Ofc I still need to actually drive again to remember how to drive, which should be done with an instructor right? cause I dont know anyone else). 

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

On 1/11/2017 at 6:14 PM, dalekphalm said:

This is *TERRIBLE* advice. Your insurance provider (or more importantly, the other persons) can and WILL try to use "sorry" against you, by saying you admitted fault by apologizing (If you're not at fault, there's no reason to apologize).

It might feel rude, but do not say sorry. Do not say anything or do anything that can be interpreted as admitting fault. Your own insurance company will try to use it to try and not have to pay the bill, and the other insurance company will do the same to try and make it seem like their driver wasn't at fault and yours was. Maybe it's common in Edmonton to say sorry during an accident, but it's still a bad idea. I wouldn't, and I wouldn't feel bad about it.

I work in car insurance in the UK and "Sorry" won't stand as an admission of liability :P

Current Build:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 // Mobo: Ryzen AM4 B350 GAMING PLUS ATX // RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000MHz // GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon RX 580 Gaming 8GB // SSD: Kingston A400 120GB // HDD: 3 x WD Blue 1TB // PSUCorsair 650M // Case: Corsair 450D // Monitor: LG Ultrawide 29" IPS

Plex Server:

CPU: AMD FX 8350 Black Edition // Mobo: Gigabyte - GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 Micro ATX // RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz // GPU: GeForce GTX 670 // HDD: Seagate BarraCuda 2TB // PSU: Kolink Core Series 500W 80 Plus Certified // Case: AVP Viper Mini Tower

Other:

PS4 Pro // PS3 // Nintendo Switch (Pokemon edition) // Nintendo 3DS // Xbox 360 // iPhone 8 Plus // Macbook Retina 2013

7 hours ago, Megazero said:

I have no idea what you mean about the 1st one :P

I end up rented a room that's only $350CAD per month, 20$ more for internet, everything else included. As it's cheap it's kinda... dont have anything but 2 mattress (I live like Denis now XD), so I will be going to mall to buy most stuff, including a chair/table too. They do have washing machine, drying machine and small kitchen which is nice since I'm going to have to cook. 

I have 0 idea what ESL, GST etc is :P I also dont know what kind of immigration services available to me yet. So far onlything I have is a free bus pass from the uni, which is nice. Was thinking abt setting up a desktop but I'm not sure anymore.

I can drive and I have license back at home, but I forgot to bring it to Canada, I doubt it can be converted anyway, but I think I will just get another one. the student helper girl said that if I plan to do that I should get a G1 license or smt like that, I'm not sure what that mean yet. Why do you buy a car insurance if you dont have a car? And how do a car cost only $500? Or do u mean $500 per month?

Also no idea what u are talking about delivery service and IKEA assembly :P

I seen alittle snow today, even though it's -7C. what I see is like a tiny bit here and there that's has already been shoveled out of the way in a chump. no idea why anyone would want to eat that, it's look dirty :P I did prepare coats and stuff, which is ok-ish as I get out for the first time, BUT after a whole day of running around due to some problem in the uni I got super hot I take it out for the rest of the day outside, beside inside the house is warm so it's fine.

@Gale already posted a link about driving, but yeah, basically, if you have a valid drivers license in another country (You probably need to physically present it), you can get a 60 day temporary license. After the 60 days, you have to go through the process. Thailand and Vietnam are both not on the exchange list, so you basically can't just convert your license anyway. You need to apply for a G1 and do the whole process from start to finish:

https://www.ontario.ca/page/exchange-out-province-drivers-licence

7 hours ago, bossman1 said:

Yes there is cheap rent to be had, I find most of the $350/m range they want asian people of their own kind and the ad is written in Tagalog which is asian language.

Yes your drivers license can be converted quite easily. Many a criminal has used international driving licenses to drive. I watched a show about dangerous drivers and one fellow from Pakistan was on it and living in Ontario who ended up being Canada's Worst Driver. All he had to do was start the car in India and he got his license, and the Ontario province let him get away with it without any tests. This show has on it  scardicats, Speeders, Dangerous, LGBT, muscle, hotties, nerds, immigrant, family, young, old. They try to fill the stereotypical role, which I believe the show to be fake after watching the latest season. Some big woman freaky looking with pig nostril earring always texting ended up being the worst driver. I guess they needed viewers so they amped up the fakeness.

Eating snow is a childish joke we played in grade school. So its said even today.

Ikea is a Danish furniture mega store where you have to put it together yourself.

Immigration services are everywhere, immigrants get more attention then homeless people. And I am sure there is way more of that in Ontario then where I am from.

GST is a 5% sales tax, Ontario you also pay an additional 8%, so add 13% to everything you buy, except milk and bread and essentials.

BTW, Ikea is not Danish. It's Swedish. Ikea is a Swedish Multinational corporation:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IKEA

Also, as I listed above, at least in Ontario, a Pakistan license would only allow the driver a 60 day temporary license. After that, he would need to apply for a G1 and do the whole process. Ontario doesn't just hand full licenses to anyone. Other provinces may have less strict rules though.

4 hours ago, Megazero said:

My English should be ok :P My accent seem a bit weird cause the first 2 people I meet (cab driver and on in McDonald) dont seen to be able to understand me much, but the rest is fine so far.

I will get a SIN soon, and my study permit also permit under 20 hours of work per weeks, so I will look for a part time job sooner or later.

I read up about the license a bit, and I think I will just go through the whole process instead of convert since my understanding on traffic is screwed in Vietnam. Do you know if after getting G1 do I need to have xx hours of drive in 1 year before getting G2 or just get G1, dont drive at all until 1 year later and I still can get G2? (Ofc I still need to actually drive again to remember how to drive, which should be done with an instructor right? cause I dont know anyone else). 

So there are no number "set hours" that you must drive, in between the G1 and G2 tests. If you pass the G1 written test, and are confident that you can drive 100%, and know all the rules and road etiquette without driving a single hour, you can simply wait the year, and take the G2 test. I'd advise against that though, as likely, you'll just fail horribly.

I would recommend taking a Drivers Education course (Usually aimed at teenage drivers, but available to all ages), from an accredited driving school like Young Drivers of Canada. There are dozens, if not hundreds, of companies to choose from in this regard. A course from this school will give you in-class theory training on rules and techniques, as well as behind-the-wheel experience with a qualified instructor. It's very valuable, as they often teach extra stuff like Defensive Driving techniques (How to avoid an accident that someone else is about to get into, etc). As a bonus, completing a Drivers Education course will lower your insurance (for about 3 years I think?) rate, and it will also lessen the time you need to wait to take the G2 test (8 months instead of 12).

BTW if you had two people already have a difficult time understanding you, perhaps your English is not okay. There's nothing to be ashamed of that. My French is atrocious. I would check with the University to see if they have English conversation circles, etc. These are groups where people just talk to each other and practice their English. It will make your life a lot easier if people don't have difficulty understanding you. But ultimately, it's your choice.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I wouldn't bother going to Toronto for things,  thats too far.  Going as far as London from Windsor would be pushing it in my books.

Besides,  you'd probably have better luck with Detroit(the city on the other side of the river) for tech especially.  So get familiar with the idea of cross border shopping,  the ambassador bridge,  and going through customs.

Guelph, Hamilton, Woodstock, London are places you're probably going to gain a passing familiarity with during your stay in Windsor.

Obviously you're going to have to see Niagra Falls at some point, be sure to pick a warm sunny day when you do go see it.

The summer in south western ontario is a lot more humid then people expect.  Air conditioning can be a great plus in any place you rent.

23 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

I wouldn't bother going to Toronto for things,  thats too far.  Going as far as London from Windsor would be pushing it in my books.

Besides,  you'd probably have better luck with Detroit(the city on the other side of the river) for tech especially.  So get familiar with the idea of cross border shopping,  the ambassador bridge,  and going through customs.

Guelph, Hamilton, Woodstock, London are places you're probably going to gain a passing familiarity with during your stay in Windsor.

Obviously you're going to have to see Niagra Falls at some point, be sure to pick a warm sunny day when you do go see it.

The summer in south western ontario is a lot more humid then people expect.  Air conditioning can be a great plus in any place you rent.

For a day trip (Shopping, for example), going to London isn't a big deal at all. Even if you take the train (I'd advise that over the bus, if possible). If you can rent a car or you own one, even easier. London is only like 1.5 hours away.

Also the Humidity in SW Ontario really depends on what part, whether you're close to one of the lakes or not. Where I live, it's not very humid because we're right in between the lakes. Windsor is close-ish to Lake Michigan and Lake Huron, so it's a bit more humid. Toronto would be worse, as would up north a bit more in Sarnia.

41 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

For a day trip (Shopping, for example), going to London isn't a big deal at all. Even if you take the train (I'd advise that over the bus, if possible). If you can rent a car or you own one, even easier. London is only like 1.5 hours away.

Also the Humidity in SW Ontario really depends on what part, whether you're close to one of the lakes or not. Where I live, it's not very humid because we're right in between the lakes. Windsor is close-ish to Lake Michigan and Lake Huron, so it's a bit more humid. Toronto would be worse, as would up north a bit more in Sarnia.

3 hours round trip, that's not a small amount of time to lose in a day.  Obviously if going on a big shopping adventure to furnish a home, its not a big deal.  But you're not going to want to dart out to these places separately to pick up the odd relatively inexpensive used good from kijiji every weekend, or go to London for groceries.  Detroit is going to be their best bet for a lot of items in terms of lower cost and proximity.

As for humidity, I'm in London(doesn't get much more in between the lakes than that) and its swamp ass & soup nuts every other summer.  Only natural reprieve is being on, or close to, the water/beach or a strong northern breeze(obviously large bodies, creeks and streams make humidity and mosquitoes much worse).  That said it's nowhere near as bad a Florida in the summer.  At least we don't need utensils and have to thoroughly chew our air first to breath it.

3 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

@Gale already posted a link about driving, but yeah, basically, if you have a valid drivers license in another country (You probably need to physically present it), you can get a 60 day temporary license. After the 60 days, you have to go through the process. Thailand and Vietnam are both not on the exchange list, so you basically can't just convert your license anyway. You need to apply for a G1 and do the whole process from start to finish:

https://www.ontario.ca/page/exchange-out-province-drivers-licence

BTW, Ikea is not Danish. It's Swedish. Ikea is a Swedish Multinational corporation:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IKEA

Also, as I listed above, at least in Ontario, a Pakistan license would only allow the driver a 60 day temporary license. After that, he would need to apply for a G1 and do the whole process. Ontario doesn't just hand full licenses to anyone. Other provinces may have less strict rules though.

So there are no number "set hours" that you must drive, in between the G1 and G2 tests. If you pass the G1 written test, and are confident that you can drive 100%, and know all the rules and road etiquette without driving a single hour, you can simply wait the year, and take the G2 test. I'd advise against that though, as likely, you'll just fail horribly.

I would recommend taking a Drivers Education course (Usually aimed at teenage drivers, but available to all ages), from an accredited driving school like Young Drivers of Canada. There are dozens, if not hundreds, of companies to choose from in this regard. A course from this school will give you in-class theory training on rules and techniques, as well as behind-the-wheel experience with a qualified instructor. It's very valuable, as they often teach extra stuff like Defensive Driving techniques (How to avoid an accident that someone else is about to get into, etc). As a bonus, completing a Drivers Education course will lower your insurance (for about 3 years I think?) rate, and it will also lessen the time you need to wait to take the G2 test (8 months instead of 12).

BTW if you had two people already have a difficult time understanding you, perhaps your English is not okay. There's nothing to be ashamed of that. My French is atrocious. I would check with the University to see if they have English conversation circles, etc. These are groups where people just talk to each other and practice their English. It will make your life a lot easier if people don't have difficulty understanding you. But ultimately, it's your choice.

I see. I will probably took that Driver course sometime soon then. 

And yeah, it just those 2 ppl. All the university people (instructor and helper), random ppl i meet on the street when asking for directions, banker, landlord, housemates etc is fine.  It did hurt my confident a bit after those 2, but the rest seem fine so... maybe just coincidence? 

@MoonSpot @dalekphalm  yeah I do plan to go for London one day soon, would probably go by train (I do love travel by train). As for buying stuff... I will try to avoid buying new as much as possible, so it will depend on where can i find ppl selling things I need to decide where do I go to buy it. The rest i may aswell buy on ebay or amazon or ncix etc instead of going directly to either cities

Dont have plab go to Detroit ATM, and definitely cant any time soon cause I dont have visa for US. Not sure how Im going to do that as a foreigner in can, but thats something to look up later

37 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

3 hours round trip, that's not a small amount of time to lose in a day.  Obviously if going on a big shopping adventure to furnish a home, its not a big deal.  But you're not going to want to dart out to these places separately to pick up the odd relatively inexpensive used good from kijiji every weekend, or go to London for groceries.  Detroit is going to be their best bet for a lot of items in terms of lower cost and proximity.

As for humidity, I'm in London(doesn't get much more in between the lakes than that) and its swamp ass & soup nuts every other summer.  Only natural reprieve is being on, or close to, the water/beach or a strong northern breeze(obviously large bodies, creeks and streams make humidity and mosquitoes much worse).  That said it's nowhere near as bad a Florida in the summer.  At least we don't need utensils and have to thoroughly chew our air first to breath it.

Going to Detroit to go Grocery shopping is a colossal waste of time and money. With how much less CAD is worth right now, the hassle is just not even close to worth it. You'd obviously buy Groceries in Windsor. Doing anything else is straight up stupid.

As for Kijiji, same thing. Local pickup only, unless it's a crazy good deal on a high value item, in which case, the risk to me would just be too high to drive more then a few minutes potentially for nothing.

Does London have swamps or something nearby? I'm only an hour-ish away from you, and it's really not like that here.

8 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Going to Detroit to go Grocery shopping is a colossal waste of time and money. With how much less CAD is worth right now, the hassle is just not even close to worth it. You'd obviously buy Groceries in Windsor. Doing anything else is straight up stupid.

As for Kijiji, same thing. Local pickup only, unless it's a crazy good deal on a high value item, in which case, the risk to me would just be too high to drive more then a few minutes potentially for nothing.

Does London have swamps or something nearby? I'm only an hour-ish away from you, and it's really not like that here.

Agreed.  However if you're a cheese fan, weak dollar or not, its not hard to find justification to jump to detroit to shop.  Especially when living in Windsor.  As for the OP specifically, I don't know what additional difficulties they could encounter going through customs, I am operating under the assumption that there would be little.

Westminster ponds.  A fairly vast region of ponds, but not much unlike what you find everywhere in southern Ontario.  There are wetlands all over the place in this part of the world.  You'd be hard pressed to find a place on earth loved by water more than were we are.

4 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

Agreed.  However if you're a cheese fan, weak dollar or not, its not hard to find justification to jump to detroit to shop.  Especially when living in Windsor.  As for the OP specifically, I don't know what additional difficulties they could encounter going through customs, I am operating under the assumption that there would be little.

Westminster ponds.  A fairly vast region of ponds, but not much unlike what you find everywhere in southern Ontario.  There are wetlands all over the place in this part of the world.  You'd be hard pressed to find a place on earth loved by water more than were we are.

Going through the border at all is a hassle, to me. Long lines, even if it flows quickly. And he may be subject to additional questioning at the border, being that he's neither American or Canadian. But others may not find it a hassle. It's all 100% subjective anyway.

I really dont understand why dont they just put the tax in the price... it would make it much easier to know how much i actually spend lol. Buts its alright. 

Just visit Value village in hope of looking for some furnitures, see some but not what I really need, so back to walmart I suppose. Do walmart sell groceries like meat/egg/rice too? Should I buy it there or look for smaller mart?

1 minute ago, Megazero said:

I really dont understand why dont they just put the tax in the price... it would make it much easier to know how much i actually spend lol. Buts its alright. 

Just visit Value village in hope of looking for some furnitures, see some but not what I really need, so back to walmart I suppose. Do walmart sell groceries like meat/egg/rice too? Should I buy it there or look for smaller mart?

Walmart does sell groceries in some of their stores. Generally branded as a "Walmart SuperStore" or "Walmart SmartCentre". These ones have a full grocery store inside, along with all the normal Walmart stuff.

Generally "Food Basics" is the chain you'll probably want to do your grocery shopping.   Both for the international food isle, and their pricing & produce is usually better than the other chains.  You should start seeing flyers at your door/mailbox within the next week.

11 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

-

Yeah I did not do google research like you obviously did before posting, as I knew someone would and correct me, so thanks.

6 hours ago, Megazero said:

Its all to do with marketing. Travel deals are the worst. $99 flight but $299 in taxes.

Also charities can help with furniture, tons of charities to help immigrants.

On 1/12/2017 at 5:05 PM, AluminiumTech said:

I will never understand this....  Asian culture = DO NOT TIP!

?? Indeed. Because they have salaries, why should we tip them?

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

My favorite part about taxes in Canada is how a bag of potato chips is taxed at 13% because it falls under 'Snack Foods' but a McCain's Deep and Delicious cake is tax free because it's a 'Basic Grocery'. xD 

51 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

My favorite part about taxes in Canada is how a bag of potato chips is taxed at 13% because it falls under 'Snack Foods' but a McCain's Deep and Delicious cake is tax free because it's a 'Basic Grocery'. xD 

LMAO

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

7 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

They make for a great desert for family dinners IMO.  Conduct this test yourself.  Get a mess of those expensive, not so great tasting, pastries and a deep n' delicious cake.  Put them both out for desert and ONLY play attention to what the children get.  Adults are too pretentious, what they pick doesn't matter.  Whereas children are dead serious about honestly critiquing sweets.  You'll find out what the better desert is that way for sure.

Anyways, desert is part of a meal.  Therefore Deep N' Delicious is a food.  Chips just don't quite fit as desert.  You tax my cake and I kill you!