Moving to Canada (Windsor, ON) tomorrow, need some info ASAP

Megazero
3 hours ago, bossman1 said:

Wind Mobile and Freedom Mobile, you can be in the city center in a wood framed house and you wont get service. I have read countless threads on those. Once you step foot outside their zone you get dinged with more expenses. If someone wants to be a hermit and never leave the zone then those companies are alright. Otherwise go with Bell/VM because you get country-wide calling and 1GB of data for $35pm.

If this was 2014, I would have agreed with you, but ever since Wind got bought by Shaw Communications in Q1 2016, Wind made a tremendous improvement (in this side of the country anyways, I don't know about the rest).

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X            | Cooler: Deepcool AK400      | Motherboard: B550 Elite AX V2  | Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB  |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB   | GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Ti        | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)    | PSU: EVGA 650W G2             |

6 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

I'll concede the point. However, it's still incredibly important to be careful what you say to the other driver in an accident.

I assume if you say "I'm sorry!" by itself, that might be fine. However, if you say "I'm sorry, I didn't see that rock", that may not simply qualify as an expression of empathy.

Windsor still has a mall, with all your normal big city stuff. They don't have any major PC Parts stores (NCIX, Canada Computers, etc), but there's a Canada Computers in London, ON, which is pretty close, and much easier to get to without the hassle of getting a US travel Visa, or even having the cross the border itself, potentially.

You shouldn't need a visa for a day trip at least I'd think right?  

If that's doable then op could enter the US buy stuff from Microcenter and then return home.  

31 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

You shouldn't need a visa for a day trip at least I'd think right?  

If that's doable then op could enter the US buy stuff from Microcenter and then return home.  

For a Canadian Citizen? No. You don't need a Visa at all for visiting the US (except to live there year round or to work there).

But I have no idea what the citizenship is for the OP.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

45 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

For a Canadian Citizen? No. You don't need a Visa at all for visiting the US (except to live there year round or to work there).

But I have no idea what the citizenship is for the OP.

Good point.  I think I was in Canada for a few hours once several years ago and didn't need anything special I don't think so that's why I made the comment. 

Though as you said things could be different for OP.  

1 minute ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Good point.  I think I was in Canada for a few hours once several years ago and didn't need anything special I don't think so that's why I made the comment. 

Though as you said things could be different for OP.  

US and Canada have a special treaty that allows citizens of either country to go back and fourth without the need for a Visa. You're even allowed to live in the other country for several months (Perhaps up to 6?) - you didn't even need a passport before 9/11. We used to be able to get across the border with nothing but a Driver's License or a birth certificate.

But I don't believe the OP is Canadian. His profile "location" is Thailand.

The above mentioned treaty is one part of the larger US "Visa Waiver Program", in which citizens of 38 different countries can visit the US for non-immigration/work related reasons for a period of time. Thailand is not on the list of exempt countries. Therefore, if he is indeed a Thai citizen, he would need a US Travel Visa.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Telus loyalty can give you cheap plans if you wanna try them

The geek himself.

Just now, Dawson Wehage said:

Errr... If you're a long standing existing Telus customer, maybe. As a newcomer to Canada, with no previous history with any carrier, Telus won't do anything special for him. Best case? Telus has some sort of good sale on a plan when he goes there.

If you want a cheap plan in Ontario, you either go Freedom Mobile, or you go with one of the "side" brands (Fido, Koodo, Virgin).

Side note: You can get super cheap plans from Koodo, if you're willing to go through some hassle.

1. Get the cheapest regular Koodo plan, with whatever random Ontario number they give you

2. Sign up for online self-serve

3. Change your phone number to a local Manitoba number

4. Wait for your next billing cycle (typically a week after signing up, but could be up to 30 days)

5. Once the new billing cycle starts, you should now have access to local Manitoba plans, which are a lot cheaper and give more data (Due to MTS, a regional service provider)

6. After you get the Manitoba plan, you're free to port over an existing phone number if you wish

I did that, and was able to secure a $55/mo plan w/ Unlimited Nationwide minutes, text messaging, caller ID, voicemail, etc, and 5GB of LTE Data. You can also get a Tab to buy a phone if you want, but it's easier if you bring your own phone.

7 minutes ago, Dawson Wehage said:

There is also Chatr which is ok enough I guess. It also works for all phone as some phone can be internationally locked.

FIDO is fine too. Though some data limit. I have a Fido home internet btw.

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

There is also Chatr which is ok enough I guess. It also works for all phone as some phone can be internationally locked.

FIDO is fine too. Though some data limit. I have a Fido home internet btw.

oh i have telus fibre

The geek himself.

16 hours ago, Megazero said:

Thanks for the info, I will go with Wind then.

I highly doubt that I will be going to any bars/restaurants anytime soon, but that's nice to know. We dont exactly have tip culture here

What's Poutine?

Poutine is a mix of French Fries, White Cheddar Cheese, and gravy. Very Beautiful

The geek himself.

53 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

US and Canada have a special treaty that allows citizens of either country to go back and fourth without the need for a Visa. You're even allowed to live in the other country for several months (Perhaps up to 6?) - you didn't even need a passport before 9/11. We used to be able to get across the border with nothing but a Driver's License or a birth certificate.

But I don't believe the OP is Canadian. His profile "location" is Thailand.

The above mentioned treaty is one part of the larger US "Visa Waiver Program", in which citizens of 38 different countries can visit the US for non-immigration/work related reasons for a period of time. Thailand is not on the list of exempt countries. Therefore, if he is indeed a Thai citizen, he would need a US Travel Visa.

I believe op said they were Vietnamese that had been living in Thailand.  

48 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Errr... If you're a long standing existing Telus customer, maybe. As a newcomer to Canada, with no previous history with any carrier, Telus won't do anything special for him. Best case? Telus has some sort of good sale on a plan when he goes there.

If you want a cheap plan in Ontario, you either go Freedom Mobile, or you go with one of the "side" brands (Fido, Koodo, Virgin).

Side note: You can get super cheap plans from Koodo, if you're willing to go through some hassle.

1. Get the cheapest regular Koodo plan, with whatever random Ontario number they give you

2. Sign up for online self-serve

3. Change your phone number to a local Manitoba number

4. Wait for your next billing cycle (typically a week after signing up, but could be up to 30 days)

5. Once the new billing cycle starts, you should now have access to local Manitoba plans, which are a lot cheaper and give more data (Due to MTS, a regional service provider)

6. After you get the Manitoba plan, you're free to port over an existing phone number if you wish

I did that, and was able to secure a $55/mo plan w/ Unlimited Nationwide minutes, text messaging, caller ID, voicemail, etc, and 5GB of LTE Data. You can also get a Tab to buy a phone if you want, but it's easier if you bring your own phone.

Lucky.  ? lol

I pay $60 (about $68 including bs taxes/service fees) each month for unlimited talk, text, and only 2GB of LTE data.  Not that I've ever used even half that data but having more to use would be nice.   

11 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

you're fucked

You ever watch that Border show?

Its a joke, people not declaring items that can destroy an entire industry get a slap on the wrist.

23 hours ago, Gale said:

Wind Mobile (Now called Freedom Mobile) is the one I recommend. They do have that X GB data at max speed, then throttled data after X amount. Which plan should you go for totally depends on you, your budget, needs, etc.

• If you ever get lost, or you need to ask something, don't hesitate to ask a random person. We, Canadians, are pretty polite... well, a great majority are.

Cool. Wish HK was like that. Sad to say that it's not.

23 hours ago, Gale said:
  • The standard tip for bars and restaurants is 15%.

I will never understand this....  Asian culture = DO NOT TIP!

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

A fleeing Hilary supporter eh? Lol jk Heard Canada has some really nice parks and nature trails. I'd love to go and visit Canada for some hiking and camping but not in the winter.

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

30 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Yeah, tipping is something we should get rid off.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X            | Cooler: Deepcool AK400      | Motherboard: B550 Elite AX V2  | Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB  |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB   | GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Ti        | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)    | PSU: EVGA 650W G2             |

Well, thanks you all for all the opinion so far. I think I will go with Wind/Freedom for now, and I will get their 40$ package with 3GB and low speed unlimites after 3GB, which is what I counted on most of the time anyway.

Im Vietnamese and I do need Visa to visit US, which is smt I plan to do sooner or later cause my aunt live overthere (down in North Carolina though), and getting one should be pretty easy for me, but I dont plan to go to Detroit just for that. It feel like a bunch of problem just exchange money, find a way to travel over there, buy all the stuff and bring back. And last I check on PcPartPicker now the price of the items I want to buy is about the same if converted to USD, so traveling actually make it more expensive for me. Plus Id rather take a train to London or Toronto instead since I do love train :P however those are if Im buyig new only. Im looking into second hand market to reduce the cost further, so theres that too.

As for housing, i have a list of a few I plan to go check after I arrive, which is abt 22 hours from now I think? The university offer 1st night free hotel so thats help alot, if i still cant find by the end of the next day i will stay in a motel for a while. Getting a SIM should solve the problem of unable to contact any renter though, and at least for the 1st semester Im happy as long as it have a roof, kitchen and bathroom lol.

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

8 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Cool. Wish HK was like that. Sad to say that it's not.

No idea how or when it started, but it's been part of North American culture for decades at least. The reason why tipping is so prevalent here is that in the type of jobs you get tipped (Waitress at a restaurant or a bartender, for example is probably the most common) is because they actually get paid less per hour, with the expectation that tips will cover the rest and make up the difference.

7 hours ago, Gale said:

Yeah, tipping is something we should get rid off.

It would be nice, but it would also mean a total social redesign (paradigm shift! That's the word I was looking for). All jobs that expect tips would have to be paid more, and you'd have to educate people to no longer tip. It's a nigh impossible task.

Personally, I tip 10% if service was meh, but not terrible. 12% if service was good, but nothing out of the ordinary, and 15% (or higher) if service was amazing. Tipping under 10% is an insult, and I would only do so if service was straight up horrifying. It also depends on the establishment to some degree. Finer dining places expect bigger tips.

So... I finally made it into Windsor, and realized a few mistake...

I didnt know Windsor Airport would be that small, and so I totally forgot to buy a sim card in toronto thinking wait till i got to windsor is fine. Need to go to mall tomorrow

Most of the electric plug in Canada if not all is the flat one, a few of my stuff have round plug is screwed. I did bring a converter but its in the check in luggage, one I wont open until i got in a house

Taxi is expensive here... do we have Uber or Grab etc in canada?

Other than that everything is fine so far.. well given that I spend all the time so far in airport and hotel it doesnt really say much, but hey, least got a roof over my head ATM

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

17 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

No idea how or when it started, but it's been part of North American culture for decades at least. The reason why tipping is so prevalent here is that in the type of jobs you get tipped (Waitress at a restaurant or a bartender, for example is probably the most common) is because they actually get paid less per hour, with the expectation that tips will cover the rest and make up the difference.

If I live in the US in the future, I just won't tip. Hopefully somebody will get the message not think i'm an asshole. The restaurant and bar owners are assholes.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

So i have a question to l in Canada. Is there any restriction on downloading offline youtube video in youtube app in Canada? Or do youtube have somekind of block if u move to another country? Cause I cant download offline since i transfered to Taipei, and cant now in Canada too

17 minutes ago, Megazero said:

So i have a question to l in Canada. Is there any restriction on downloading offline youtube video in youtube app in Canada? Or do youtube have somekind of block if u move to another country? Cause I cant download offline since i transfered to Taipei, and cant now in Canada too

YouTube Red may not function in Canada or some other countries. It's a limited rollout and there is no way to fix this. You just have to wait.

7 hours ago, Megazero said:

So... I finally made it into Windsor, and realized a few mistake...

I didnt know Windsor Airport would be that small, and so I totally forgot to buy a sim card in toronto thinking wait till i got to windsor is fine. Need to go to mall tomorrow

Most of the electric plug in Canada if not all is the flat one, a few of my stuff have round plug is screwed. I did bring a converter but its in the check in luggage, one I wont open until i got in a house

Taxi is expensive here... do we have Uber or Grab etc in canada?

Other than that everything is fine so far.. well given that I spend all the time so far in airport and hotel it doesnt really say much, but hey, least got a roof over my head ATM

Indeed, the plugs in Canada and the US are generally totally different then the rest of the world. You should always check that kind of stuff.

Taxi's are expensive in most places in North America. But that's because they are heavily regulated and insured properly. Meaning if you get into an accident, or get mugged or hurt, you'll be protected from financial loss.

Uber operates in Canada - not sure about Windsor specifically, but you should download the App and check. Just be careful, as many Uber drivers are NOT PROPERLY INSURED. But hey, it's cheaper :)

5 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

If I live in the US in the future, I just won't tip. Hopefully somebody will get the message not think i'm an asshole. The restaurant and bar owners are assholes.

Pretty much everyone will think you're an asshole. Unfortunately, tips is how most wait staff actually pay their bills, so by you "stiffing" them (not giving them a tip), you're potentially affecting their ability to buy food, pay bills, etc.

The best way we can solve the problem is from the top down. Get Restaurants to pay their wait staff more, or through Government Regulations to force them to pay more.

2 hours ago, Megazero said:

Technically, it's illegal, as that's copyright infringement, but there are no geoblocking restrictions or anything. Find an App that can do offline download, and go nuts.

FYI, if you're specifically talking about YouTube Red, that's not available in Canada. You'll have to use a third party tool to download the video.

4 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Indeed, the plugs in Canada and the US are generally totally different then the rest of the world. You should always check that kind of stuff.

Taxi's are expensive in most places in North America. But that's because they are heavily regulated and insured properly. Meaning if you get into an accident, or get mugged or hurt, you'll be protected from financial loss.

Uber operates in Canada - not sure about Windsor specifically, but you should download the App and check. Just be careful, as many Uber drivers are NOT PROPERLY INSURED. But hey, it's cheaper :)

Pretty much everyone will think you're an asshole. Unfortunately, tips is how most wait staff actually pay their bills, so by you "stiffing" them (not giving them a tip), you're potentially affecting their ability to buy food, pay bills, etc.

The best way we can solve the problem is from the top down. Get Restaurants to pay their wait staff more, or through Government Regulations to force them to pay more.

Technically, it's illegal, as that's copyright infringement, but there are no geoblocking restrictions or anything. Find an App that can do offline download, and go nuts.

FYI, if you're specifically talking about YouTube Red, that's not available in Canada. You'll have to use a third party tool to download the video.

No, im talking abt regular youtube. It always have a built in save offline function when I was in Thailand and Vietnam, just notice that its gone when Im in Taipei and Canada. And im pretty sure its legal cause its a function of the app itself

I cant find the lady that was speaking at Justin Trudeau's town hall meeting that was on the news. Very emotional lady claiming $1000 hydro bill O.o in a single family home and only her in the house. Who knows if thats in a month, or over many months. Somehow I think she's paying half her bill or 1/4 of it and racked up 1G in over due payments over several months. She's moaning about the new Carbon tax. Either way its good enough reason to cut the cord or change living life style. Not sure why a poor single person needs an entire house anyways. Maybe if she was a new Syrian immigrant she could easily afford her house but she is not.

There are some rental units that include elec and water, I have seen for sale condo's that included elec, but those use very little to heat the space. Its the condo's fee's that are the snag. For every $550 in a mortgage, that goes towards $100,000, remember that you need 5%/100k for the down payment as well. You can easily off set the cost by renting out rooms for $500 to $600, but maybe Windsor has cheaper room rental prices. Its all about location. Is it on a bus line? How many buses are available in the vacinity? Close to grocery stores and department stores? Restaraunts? Whats the traffic like? Walking distance to the train? Is the area shitty or poor, maybe cheap houses, lots of immigrants. Look at the crime rate, statistical information is easy available but there is no need, a quick drive around a neighbor hood gives you a general idea. You can tell which houses are rental houses by how the house appears. Unmowed lawns, crap strewn around everywhere, roof shingles are curled up, back alleys give you signs as well. These are all factors that play into the price of accomodation.

Dont forget to take full advantage of the countless immigration services available to you. You get more services then multi-generational homeless people. Also there is a GST rebate check low, which is usually around $60 every so often. There are also countless ESL courses you can take, most of the free ones I have seen churches put on.

I use Car2Go a lot, I love it. Its great for short trips that are an hour, otherwise its better to rent a $20/day car from a car rental agency or buy an ebike like what Linus has in his shop and did a review on. I heard Uber is great and much cheaper then a taxi.

Depending on your age you can get cheap insurance for a car. A car would cost you $500 at a minimum, and averages around $1500. Buy a 1.6L engine because they are great on fuel, but a real safety danger if you were to get into an accident because most Canadians drive trucks. Repairs - Well you will just have to buy some tools and learn yourself. Thats what I did. Do your own oil changes, brakes, exhaust, spark plugs. The good thing with $500 cars, is you can junk them for free. Countless Junk Car haulers around. Oh and remember to buy CAA membership and buy the premium 160km tow package. It will save you money. You get free fuel if you run out, free tire change, free tows. You get a certain amount for free so dont waste it on fuel or tire changes. It also provides lockout services. Again dont waste it.

A service you could provide is a delivery service. Put an add on Kijiji. Or you could provide an Ikea assembly service.

On 1/11/2017 at 5:03 PM, Gale said:

If this was 2014, I would have agreed with you, but ever since Wind got bought by Shaw Communications in Q1 2016, Wind made a tremendous improvement (in this side of the country anyways, I don't know about the rest).

Does Shaw rent from the big three or did Wind install their own infrastructure and thats what Shaw bought into, so to improve they need to keep in$talling. I could easily enough google it. If I remember correctly they install their own network, that is why they only have the major city zones, then when you step out you get no service or reduced service. Basically if they pop you into the rental side you are not a high priority on the rented network.