Help required! (PC shuts down)

Godchildcain

Hey everyone,  a friend of mine sent me here to see if you guys could help me out.

For the last week my pc has been shutting down with no apparant reason.
It all started since i put new parts into my pc (Motherboard, Processor and RAM)

I've tried updating all my drivers

Done countless windows reinstalls

even tried w8.1 instead of w10

To be honest i don't know what to try anymore.
i'll be putting back my old parts tomorrow to see if i'll still have the problems.

If you guys know anything that might work out, please let me know!

EDIT:  https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qdd88K  Parts list!

Old parts were:

MOBO: ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3

Processor: AMD vishera FX-8320, eight core

Crucial balistix sport 12gb ddr3-1600

4 minutes ago, Godchildcain said:

Hey everyone,  a friend of mine sent me here to see if you guys could help me out.

It all started since i put new parts into my pc (Motherboard, Processor and RAM)

i'll be putting back my old parts tomorrow to see if i'll still have the problems.

Might sound dumb but make sure your thermal paste is properly applied to your CPU and the cooler is seated correctly. 

Ryzen 9 3950x - 64 GB DDR4 - NVME 980 pro SSD - EVGA RTX 3080 FTW Ultra - FAD CASE

Full custom loop / links below out of date

LTT Build Log | PCPP Build Log

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry if I stop responding, I've probably gotten busy as I mostly am only on here while working.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

6 minutes ago, Godchildcain said:

Welcome to the Forum!

The most obvious thing to me would be the power supply.

Also out of curiosity, could you list the specs?

Sig under construction.

Also, what are the components? Full list including how many watts your power supply is. As well as exactly what is happening, for example, does it only crash while gaming? Does it crash every time after being on for 20 minutes? Whatever is going on. That way we can help you trouble shoot the problem a bit better. 

Ryzen 9 3950x - 64 GB DDR4 - NVME 980 pro SSD - EVGA RTX 3080 FTW Ultra - FAD CASE

Sorry if I stop responding, I've probably gotten busy as I mostly am only on here while working.

1 minute ago, Tedster said:

Welcome to the Forum!

The most prominent thing to me would be the power supply.

this just could be your thing

Just now, jeffmeyer5295 said:

Also, what are the components? Full list including how many watts your power supply is. That way we can help you trouble shoot the problem a bit better. 

It's not all about the wattage rating, it's about how old it is, whether it's been abused etcetera (:

Sig under construction.

It's not all about the wattage rating, it's about how old it is, whether it's been abused etcetera (:

Exactly. 

Just now, ArkTheYO said:

i guess it could be a Ram issue, trying the old swap out swap in ram trick and then boot.

I tried that, unfortunately no change.. 

Welcome to the Forum!

The most obvious thing to me would be the power supply.

I hear that from everyone, but after having multiple people check my new parts against my old parts.. the new parts take less wattage so there should be no problem at all..
good thing i made a (SEMI COMPLETE) pc partpicker list:  https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qdd88K
i'll also edit it into the main post

4 minutes ago, jeffmeyer5295 said:

Might sound dumb but make sure your thermal paste is properly applied to your CPU and the cooler is seated correctly. 

im certain its seated correctly, but i never actually though about the paste! i'll look into that as soon as i can! thanks!

Just now, Godchildcain said:

I hear that from everyone, but after having multiple people check my new parts against my old parts.. the new parts take less wattage so there should be no problem at all..
good thing i made a (SEMI COMPLETE) pc partpicker list:  https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qdd88K

im certain its seated correctly, but i never actually though about the paste! i'll look into that as soon as i can! thanks!

I'm relatively adamant that it's the power supply, the things are that the combined TDPs aren't wholly representative of the actual power draw, that you might be drawing different amounts from different rails than you were before, and that power supplies degrade over time.

Sig under construction.

6 minutes ago, jeffmeyer5295 said:

Also, what are the components? Full list including how many watts your power supply is. As well as exactly what is happening, for example, does it only crash while gaming? Does it crash every time after being on for 20 minutes? Whatever is going on. That way we can help you trouble shoot the problem a bit better. 

As of yeti t has only done it whilst gaming (But also right when i just start up a game after doing pretty much nothing for hours before)

7 minutes ago, losBaumos said:

So to clearify that the pc boots correctly?

aside for the sometimes random BIOS boot it boots normally without any problems

6 minutes ago, Godchildcain said:

If you never thought about the Thermal paste that might very well be your issue, considering that cooler does not come with it pre-applied, you have to put it on yourself(you may have)

The only reason why I say that is because I trouble shoot custom built computers on a regular basis in person, what you're describing sounds like the pc is shutting itself off to avoid damage.

And I wouldn't throw out the power-supply issue right away, they are very sensitive and can fail at any time for no clear reason.

3 minutes ago, losBaumos said:

So I would remove all unnecassary parts and try if it runs stable for an longer time.

adding/removing parts until its stable is a very long and annoying troubleshooting process but will help tell you if it is the psu causing issues.. I recommend using Windows memory diagnostic in the start menu to test the ram, maybe run a stress test on the CPU to see if it overheats and shuts down(not safe if my theory is right about thermal paste), test the drives. there could be a lot of things causing your issue.

Just now, jeffmeyer5295 said:

adding/removing parts until its stable is a very long and annoying troubleshooting process. I recommend using Windows memory diagnostic in the start menu to test the ram, maybe run a stress test on the CPU to see if it overheats and shuts down(not safe if my theory is right about thermal paste), test the drives. there could be a lot of things causing your issue.

The Windows memtest is pretty bad in my experience, I'd recommend memtest86+ instead. Or memetest86+ if you for some reason want to see a rare Pepe on your screen...

Sig under construction.

Looking through my windows event vieuwer i'm seeing error codes 7034. 219, 6008 and 41 around the times of shutdown.

i hope this helps in solving the issue

1 minute ago, Godchildcain said:

Looking through my windows event vieuwer i'm seeing error codes 7034. 219, 6008 and 41 around the times of shutdown.

i hope this helps in solving the issue

Those are just all unexpected shutdown codes it appears, which just confirms what we already know: the system is shutting down/rebooting without the operating system calling for it.

Sig under construction.

3 minutes ago, jeffmeyer5295 said:

adding/removing parts until its stable is a very long and annoying troubleshooting process but will help tell you if it is the psu causing issues.. I recommend using Windows memory diagnostic in the start menu to test the ram, maybe run a stress test on the CPU to see if it overheats and shuts down(not safe if my theory is right about thermal paste), test the drives. there could be a lot of things causing your issue.

Tried the 3Dmark stress test. these are the results  https://gyazo.com/bf41b68258b7978d66e38abbd3042927

17 minutes ago, jeffmeyer5295 said:

19 minutes ago, losBaumos said:

So I would remove all unnecassary parts and try if it runs stable for an longer time.

Unfortunately the only thing i can disconnect (because i don't need them) are the 2 HDD's.

Today for instance i reinstalled windows at 16:00 and it ran nearly perfectly untill just now, 22:17 when it crashed again.

sometimes it takes for ever to crash again.

I'm betting on that power supply, here's a YouTube video showing it having ripple in excess of 100mv, which is crazy:

Seriously, that kind of ripple can damage components in the long run, and can cause stability issues by itself, and who knows what else is wrong with that PSU.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

Just now, sazrocks said:

I'm betting on that power supply, here's a YouTube video showing it having ripple in excess of 100mv, which is crazy:

Nice find!

Sig under construction.

Any PSU you guys could recommend me?

(Around 200 euros is my MAX budget)

I'm taking out my HDD's now to see if i still crash.

6 hours ago, Godchildcain said:

Any PSU you guys could recommend me?

(Around 200 euros is my MAX budget)

I'm taking out my HDD's now to see if i still crash.

Anything tier 3 or higher from here:

With that budget you should be able to get a tier 1, but its up to you.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

1 hour ago, sazrocks said:

Anything tier 3 or higher from here:

With that budget you should be able to get a tier 1, but its up to you.

im assuming tier 1 is worst and 7 is best? ( just want to make sure)