South Korea makes game modding illegal

zMeul
1 minute ago, cesrai said:

1. Money is a motive at all times.

2. Sport leagues disqualify and ban players who played for money ? first time hearing about this can you please like link some sources. Also, it's their job of corse they play for the money. 

3. You're wrong about CSGO. It isn't about reaction time only. You need to aim ( aiming isn't just flicking around to the heads of people and such ) , to have great movement, have game sense, build/exec starts and teamwork.

4. Yes games are generally for enjoyment. You're assuming that somehow having a competitive scene make removes the enjoyment. There are a lot of people who take enjoyment in watching leagues, tournaments and games. If you make a living out of a game that doesn't necessarily take the enjoyment out of it. Just look at Pros such as Get_Right, s1mple.

Yes there is potential for abuse, but I hope that SK justice system isn't that easy to abuse.

Back, before professional sporting leagues where a thing, players looked down upon people who played for money.

For instance, college athletes aren't allowed to play for money.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professional_sports#Resistance_to_professionalism

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

1 minute ago, Trik'Stari said:

Back, before professional sporting leagues where a thing, players looked down upon people who played for money.

One of the reasons College Players don't make money is because they're usually given free tuition and a "living stipend" for groceries, etc. Whether that's right or wrong is an ever ongoing debate.

But if you look far enough back, Sport always had very strange ideals. Take ancient Rome with gladiatorial combat. That was considered "sport", and these people were often slaves, and were playing for freedom, or fame and glory (and often came with riches).

I personally have no problem with Athletes getting paid. If we want tournaments and regular games, etc, we incentivise them with money. A professional athlete that dedicates their entire life to becoming the best that can be at some specific sport doesn't have time to work, so how will they survive? They cannot rely on the good faith of others - that's insane. Therefore they make money using their skill.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

3 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

-

there's one major distinction:

e-sports are not sports - professional (video) gamers are not athletes

7 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Thank you for providing a source. So from what I understand they were against it just because they wanted the sport to be played for enjoyment ?? I find that absurd tbh. Why would you limit sports to that ? I'm just glad that this resistance died or sports wouldn't be like they are today. People being able to make a living out of sports is what got us legendary players that dedicated their whole time and life to the sport.

Also, why do you think games should only be for enjoyment ? why limit games ? games today are great educational toys, used in healthcare and much more. I find it absurd that people wanna limit stuff and stop them from expanding and evolving. 

Just now, zMeul said:

They are sports but not athletic sports. Players aren't athletes they are sportsman.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

5 minutes ago, cesrai said:

They are sports but not athletic sports. Players aren't athletes they are sportsman.

no they aren't

sport:

• Oxford dictionary: An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment
  • Merriam Webster: a contest or game in which people do certain physical activities according to a specific set of rules and compete against each other
  • Cambridge dictionary:  a game, competition, or activity needing physical effort and skill that is played or done according to rules, for enjoyment and/or as a job

competition alone is not enough to determine a sport; spots are physical activities

5 minutes ago, zMeul said:

no they aren't

sport:

• Oxford dictionary: An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment
  • Merriam Webster: a contest or game in which people do certain physical activities according to a specific set of rules and compete against each other
  • Cambridge dictionary:  a game, competition, or activity needing physical effort and skill that is played or done according to rules, for enjoyment and/or as a job

competition alone is not enough to determine a sport; spots are physical activities

You know you are not disagreeing with me right ? Games do need physical effort and skill.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

2 minutes ago, cesrai said:

You know you are not disagreeing with me right ? Games do need physical effort and skill.

computer games require physical effort?!

moving a mouse is physical exertion?!

gimme a break!

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

gimme a break!

If you wanna go by definitions yes it is. It take physical effort to move a mouse and click the buttons. It's physical effort to click on your keyboard. 

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

Just now, cesrai said:

If you wanna go by definitions yes it is. It take physical effort to move a mouse and click the buttons. It's physical effort to click on your keyboard. 

physical effort to the point of exertion  - physical prowess

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

physical effort to the point of exertion  - physical prowess

You know the exertion is effort right ?  

exertion:

Oxford dictionary: Physical or mental effort.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

2 minutes ago, cesrai said:

You know the exertion is effort right ?  

physical exertion :dry:

moving the spoon to your mouth takes effort - doesn't make it a sport xD

Just now, zMeul said:

physical exertion :dry:

moving the spoon to your mouth takes effort - doesn't make it a sport xD

So physical effort.

It isn't sport because "a game, competition, or activity needing physical effort and skill that is played or done according to rules, for enjoyment and/or as a job"

• No skill.
  • No rules.
  • You're not competing against other individuals or teams.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

1 minute ago, cesrai said:

So physical effort.

It isn't sport because "a game, competition, or activity needing physical effort and skill that is played or done according to rules, for enjoyment and/or as a job"

• No skill.
  • No rules.
  • You're not competing against other individuals or teams.

eating competition, they exist .. are they a sport? NO!

eating competition, they exist .. are they a sport? NO!

If the definition of a sport apply to them then they are. Hey you are the one that brought the definitions up. 

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

8 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

I'm pretty sure there would be other laws that prevent that :P

I don't see how there could be a law that prohibits that and not this.

They're saying game companies can prohibit people from producing software they don't like.

Arrest this man for using SweetFX! 

This planet is getting more silly each year. 

16 hours ago, zMeul said:

Err - first off, what does your response have to do with anything at all? If anything, your response furthers my original point that we shouldn't care if eSports players make money.

Furthermore, there is no international consensus on the definition of Sports. I've brought this up many times before, but usually people ignore it simply to continue their ignorant internal narrative.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport#Definition

The precise definition of what separates a sport from other leisure activities varies between sources

The closest to an international agreement on a definition is provided by SportAccord, which is the association for all the largest international sports federations (including association football, athletics, cycling, tennis, equestrian sports, and more), and is therefore the de facto representative of international sport

SportAccord uses the following criteria, determining that a sport should:[1]

have an element of competition

be in no way harmful to any living creature

not rely on equipment provided by a single supplier (excluding proprietary games such as arena football)

not rely on any "luck" element specifically designed into the sport

They also recognise that sport can be primarily physical (such as rugby or athletics), primarily mind (such as chess or go), predominantly motorised (such as Formula 1 or powerboating), primarily co-ordination (such as billiard sports), or primarily animal-supported (such as equestrian sport).[1]

I've highlighted the appropriate section. SportAccord, the de facto authority of international sports, has a definition that includes the possibility of eSports as sports.

They acknowledge that there is widespread inconsistency and non-acceptance of eSports as a sport, but by their very definition, which is the closest thing to an International Agreement, eSports are sports.

Plus on top of that, eSports can be incredibly physically exhausting, with the amount of mental exertion required, plus the often very long time frames where you're required to have split-second reflexes for extended periods.

Just look at any Pro Gamer right after they finish a tournament. They look exhausted, and they're drenched in sweat from exertion. Think about how some eSports games, like Starcraft 2, may require you to be gaming, at the top of your skills, for potentially up to 45 minutes long. AND THEN you're expected to potentially play another 3-5 (or more) matches, often right away as soon as the last one finishes.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

-

let's cut the crap and reach the core of why would a non sport would be categorized as one: money - there is a shit ton of dough in international video games competitions

also Adderall

17 hours ago, zMeul said:

gimme a break!

Have you heard the quote "He lift his mouse a lot"

let's cut the crap and reach the core of why would a non sport would be categorized as one: money - there is a shit ton of dough in international video games competitions

And? Who cares why something is categorized in a certain way, if those who make the defacto standard and definition decide eSports and Chess are sports, then so be it.

The idea that sports are only highly physically active games is extremely outdated, and hasn't really been the case for a really long time.

Think about stuff like Curling (Definitely a sport, but not particularly physically challenging - skill? Most definitely, but you don't need to be jacked or a runner or anything), or croquet or cricket, etc.

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

And? Who cares why something is categorized in a certain way, if those who make the defacto standard and definition decide eSports and Chess are sports, then so be it.

The idea that sports are only highly physically active games is extremely outdated, and hasn't really been the case for a really long time.

Think about stuff like Curling (Definitely a sport, but not particularly physically challenging - skill? Most definitely, but you don't need to be jacked or a runner or anything), or croquet or cricket, etc.

does not matter if some body recognizes a competition as sport, it's about how the audience perceives it as such

and oh boy ... wasn't ESPN who broadcasted some MOBA tournament in the US? how well that went for them xD

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

does not matter if some body recognizes a competition as sport, it's about how the audience perceives it as such

and oh boy ... wasn't ESPN who broadcasted some MOBA tournament in the US? how well that went for them xD

Sure but your average ESPN viewer is ... not the most progressive or accepting of new views.

Just now, dalekphalm said:

Sure but your average ESPN viewer is ... not the most progressive or accepting of new views.

"progressive" - wtf does that even mean?!

I do not accept e-sports as a sport for the following reason

• it does not adhere to the definition of "sport" nor to the spirit of it
  • e-sport competitions don't even follow the rules established by sports governing bodies; some rules are made or changed on the fly

56 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Have you heard the quote "He lift his mouse a lot"

From lifted to tilted bruh.

49 minutes ago, zMeul said:

Well it certainly did good for eleague on tbs. 

41 minutes ago, zMeul said:

"progressive" - wtf does that even mean?!

I do not accept e-sports as a sport for the following reason

• it does not adhere to the definition of "sport" nor to the spirit of it
  • e-sport competitions don't even follow the rules established by sports governing bodies; some rules are made or changed on the fly

Definitions again :? really ? And by "rules" which get made or changed on the fly ? can we get some examples please. And which sport governing bodies do you mean ?

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ