Audio Noob Question

LegoMan

Model # is.....HD 800

U+WOT+M8+description+.+http+www.facebook

@MayflowerElectronics @ShearMe @t0wer can probably recommend you a good (necessary) DAC + Amp or DAC/Amp combo.

That's all? I'm not entirely sure, but I think my headphones cost more than that. Am I being ripped off? What I mean is....did I over pay,(or should I say) did my wife over pay for my headphones?

No, they're definitely good headphones. Worth the price? I have no idea, but myself and most people on here don't really have a good recommendation for that so just wait a bit for others to respond since it's not everyday that someone walks in here with an HD800 asking what amp to buy.

Even then you might want to do some research on amp/dac devices not yet to be mentioned on here.

Oh OK. I'm assuming they will recommend speakers I will need then as well?

If you ask, yes. Although I personally wouldn't invest too much into them. IMO the difference of sound per dollar starts to fall off after a relatively low price point where you begin to pay a lot more for a noticeable difference. High end headphones are good enough and I would just go for acceptable speakers, but to each their own.

You might want to give a general idea as to what you'd like to/are comfortable spending since no budget is pretty vague.

The DAC that I will need, and now the different amp. Will I be able switch from headphones to speakers and vise/versa at will?

Or is there going to be a whole process of having to disconnect things and re-connect things in order to use either one at

any given one time?

If that question makes sense?

You would only have to switch outputs in the 'Playback devices' menu in widows volume control.

Error: 410

Fairly sure they aren't being produced anymore, so only chance to get one is when they're up for grabs second hand (which is rare). There are plenty of good alternatives though, I just have my eye set on this specific unit. None the less you should not aim for something like this unless you're ready to drop $1000 just for the DAC.

That's all? I'm not entirely sure, but I think my headphones cost more than that. Am I being ripped off? What I mean is....did I over pay,(or should I say) did my wife over pay for my headphones?

That really depends. The HD800 are brilliant, absolutely brilliant headphones. That being said they are no better than the signal you're feeding them. As for the headphones department I don't know a lot about power amplification as I'm more of a speaker kind of guy. The high end DACs should be the same though. As I said you can get DACs in every price range. I personally decided on the Meridian 566 because I've got a bit of (good) history with Meridian units and it's not too expensive for a student to handle.

@MayflowerElectronics @ShearMe @t0wer can probably recommend you a good (necessary) DAC + Amp or DAC/Amp combo.

No, they're definitely good headphones. Worth the price? I have no idea, but myself and most people on here don't really have a good recommendation for that so just wait a bit for others to respond since it's not everyday that someone walks in here with an HD800 asking what amp to buy.

Even then you might want to do some research on amp/dac devices not yet to be mentioned on here.

Oh OK. I'm assuming they will recommend speakers I will need then as well?

That really depends. The HD800 are brilliant, absolutely brilliant headphones. That being said they are no better than the signal you're feeding them. As for the headphones department I don't know a lot about power amplification as I'm more of a speaker kind of guy. The high end DACs should be the same though. As I said you can get DACs in every price range. I personally decided on the Meridian 566 because I've got a bit of (good) history with Meridian units and it's not too expensive for a student to handle.

I am also looking for speakers as well. I don't want to be limited to just headphones all the time.

If you ask, yes. Although I personally wouldn't invest too much into them. IMO the difference of sound per dollar starts to fall off after a relatively low price point where you begin to pay a lot more for a noticeable difference. High end headphones are good enough and I would just go for acceptable speakers, but to each their own.

You might want to give a general idea as to what you'd like to/are comfortable spending since no budget is pretty vague.

OK. Great! Thanks for all your help/info. I appreciate it.

Do you need speakers?

Yes.

Oh, in that case it really depends on your budget.

Do you mean I opened a whole new can of worms?

Same DAC, different power amp. Of course the speakers are going to cost you as well.

The DAC that I will need, and now the different amp. Will I be able switch from headphones to speakers and vise/versa at will?

Or is there going to be a whole process of having to disconnect things and re-connect things in order to use either one at

any given one time?

Model # is.....HD 800

You have HD 800s? :o

post-6570-0-10683400-1382765942.jpg

Get yourself an Asus Xonar Essence One maybe?

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

Yes.

Do you mean I opened a whole new can of worms?

The problem here is your HD800s are great headphones, so great in fact, that only a small number of people really know what they are talking about at those price ranges.  Even on this forum you won't see many audio setups over $200 dollars total.  You are already sitting at a $1500 dollar set of cans.  The Asus Essence One external DAC/AMP is the only recommendation I can make, and even that might be undercutting your HD800s.  I know Linus has used it with the HD800s and claimed it was the best audio solution he has ever experienced.  As for speakers, let me tell you that can get complicated and expensive fast.  To narrow it down try to decided what kind of setup you want and how much room you have (eg. 2 speakers and a subwoofer, 4 speaker surround, tower multichannel, etc.)

any given one time?

If you have the correct ports, then yes.  It will depend a bit on what you buy.  If you buy a speaker system and DAC that use the analog ports on your PC, then you can't have both hooked up.  But if you get a USB controlled DAC (I believe the Essence One is) and use you audio ports for the speakers it should be alright.

If you have the correct ports, then yes.  It will depend a bit on what you buy.  If you buy a speaker system and DAC that use the analog ports on your PC, then you can't have both hooked up.  But if you get a USB controlled DAC (I believe the Essence One is) and use you audio ports for the speakers it should be alright.

At base level I would probably take an O2 ODAC or a standalone DAC with an O2 amp (for upgradability) at base level.

You can find them all over the internet, but if you check Mayflower they have a promotional code through LTT forum reference.

The problem here is your HD800s are great headphones, so great in fact, that only a small number of people really know what they are talking about at those price ranges.  Even on this forum you won't see many audio setups over $200 dollars total.  You are already sitting at a $1500 dollar set of cans.

also this is the main issue we're having here, so just wait for some other people's replies.

Error: 410

You have HD 800s? :o

attachicon.gifjizz 2.jpg

Get yourself an Asus Xonar Essence One maybe?

They are not quit that good. But close. I may need to start wearing Safety Glasses around here. B)

any given one time?

Switching can be done fairly simple with an a/b switch between the DAC and power amplifiers. Although it is critical that this switch is of a high quality.

The problem here is your HD800s are great headphones, so great in fact, that only a small number of people really know what they are talking about at those price ranges.  Even on this forum you won't see many audio setups over $200 dollars total.  You are already sitting at a $1500 dollar set of cans.  The Asus Essence One external DAC/AMP is the only recommendation I can make, and even that might be undercutting your HD800s.  I know Linus has used it with the HD800s and claimed it was the best audio solution he has ever experienced.  As for speakers, let me tell you that can get complicated and expensive fast.  To narrow it down try to decided what kind of setup you want and how much room you have (eg. 2 speakers and a subwoofer, 4 speaker surround, tower multichannel, etc.)

The Asus Essence One is the best mainstream computer market DAC but is in my mind not anywhere close to good enough to do the HD800's justice. As for speakers it is as it is with headphones, keep it simple. 2 speaker set up, that's it. No 7.1 fancy surround or anything like that. Music comes in stereo. If you have further questions about a speaker setup please contact me via PM @LegoMan as I will be going to bed now and it is generally much easier to keep track of a conversation there.

So, overall what you are talking about is a surround sound entertainment systems? Because I already have that. It rivals most modern Cinemas. When the kids watch a movie like Inception.

I have to wear ear plugs at the neighbors house. That's no Sh*#t!  OK. Maybe a little Sh*#t.  :)

You need an o2/Odac combo for those headphones. Sound cards or anything from asus or any other computer manufacturer will be good for you. The only thing you'll need for the speakers is a good DAC, which the onboard does fine with. For the sake of the headphones, whatever you do don't buy a sound card.

Switching can be done fairly simple with an a/b switch between the DAC and power amplifiers. Although it is critical that this switch is of a high quality.

The Asus Essence One is the best mainstream computer market DAC but is in my mind not anywhere close to good enough to do the HD800's justice. As for speakers it is as it is with headphones, keep it simple. 2 speaker set up, that's it. No 7.1 fancy surround or anything like that. Music comes in stereo. If you have further questions about a speaker setup please contact me via PM @LegoMan as I will be going to bed now and it is generally much easier to keep track of a conversation there.

Oh. Ok. I appreciate all the help/info. Goodnight!

You need an o2/Odac combo for those headphones. Sound cards or anything from asus or any other computer manufacturer will be good for you. The only thing you'll need for the speakers is a good DAC, which the onboard does fine with. For the sake of the headphones, whatever you do don't buy a sound card.

Ok. I would also like speakers but not necessarily surround, because I already have that in the media room and I'm not entirely sure if I need to go that crazy with sound for my PC? Maybe I'm wrong?

I also really need to hit the hay now. But I look forward to chatting later on about what will be my best choices. Thanks. 

Ok. I would also like speakers but not necessarily surround, because I already have that in the media room and I'm not entirely sure if I need to go that crazy with sound for my PC? Maybe I'm wrong?

I also really need to hit the hay now. But I look forward to chatting later on about what will be my best choices. Thanks.

So you just want monitors? Or do you want 2.1? I'm assuming you don't have a budget for those as well? I'll have a look in the morning.

Sorry - I meant sound cards will NOT be good with those headphones. Whatever you do don't plug hd800's into those garbage products.

with no budget like this, all I can really say, is go find a local audio store and try everything you can, till you find something you like.

just using headphones as an example.

there's typically(not always) great differences in sound quality going up to around $200-400 mark.

After that it's all preferences and the minor changes you get sound wise aren't so minor in the cost.

by auditioning you can decide for yourself if the price is worth it.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

Oh gahd this thread is everywhere...

Usually happens when people have no idea what they're talking about recommend sound cards for $1500 headphones.