Audio Noob Question

LegoMan

Hey guys! Very first post here on Linustechtips Forum. Have some comments/questions about Audio for my PC.

I originally was going to ask about a good sound card to purchase. But after reading different postings, purchasing a

dedicated sound card is a bad thing?

So, I leave it in the experts hands. Looking for knowledge and the best sound quality I can get from my PC? Price be damned!  

I listen to music - 20%....movies - 20%....gaming 60% of the time. Sort of a mixed bag, but mainly gaming.

I'm using current onboard audio ASUS Z77 Formula. And Monitor speakers ASUS PA279Q.

Looking for speakers mainly, because I already have headphones. Sennheiser HD 800

Any advise is greatly appreciated. And I thank you for your time in advance.

Thanks guys......And/or....girls?

Welcome to the forum :) What audio gear are you using? headphones, speakers,

CPU: Intel i7-4770k MOBO: Asus Maximus VI Formula RAM: G.Skill RipJawsX 2x8GB 1600Mhz GPU: Asus GTX 780 DCuII CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Primo STORAGE: ADATA SX900 256GB / WD Caviar Blue 1TB PSU: Corsair AX760 760W MONITOR: Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM KEYBOARD: Ducky Shine 3 MOUSE: Logitech G602 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/106614-project-insert-name-enthoo-primo-rigid-acrylic-red/

Welcome and a sound card isn't a waste though it's not as bad to not have one now with how good the onboard audio is on some motherboards, can you tell us about your system. That's the only way we can effectively help you.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

If you have a good set of headphones/speakers a sound card is a great thing.  If not then it's not that much of a difference.  I don't have higher end stuff so I just use onboard.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Welcome to the forum :) What audio gear are you using? headphones, speakers,

Thank you. And read response below.

What exactly is it that you want? Speakers? Headphones?

Right now I only am using monitor speakers and very nice headphones, from what I have heard at least.

If you're really serious about it your best option will be an external DAC and amplifier, of which exists at prices starting as low as $20 and as high as beyond your wildest beliefs.

Welcome and a sound card isn't a waste though it's not as bad to not have one now with how good the onboard audio is on some motherboards, can you tell us about your system. That's the only way we can effectively help you.

If you have a good set of headphones/speakers a sound card is a great thing.  If not then it's not that much of a difference.  I don't have higher end stuff so I just use onboard.

I'm looking for speakers mainly because I already have headphones. I forget the name of them.

I have a Z77 Asus formula board. And audio thru my monitor, which is Asus PA279Q.

Hey guys! Very first post here on Linustechtips Forum. Have some comments/questions about Audio for my PC.

I originally was going to ask about a good sound card to purchase. But after reading different postings, purchasing a

dedicated sound card is a bad thing?

So, I leave it in the experts hands. Looking for knowledge and the best sound quality I can get from my PC? Price be damned!  

I listen to music - 20%....movies - 20%....gaming 60% of the time. Sort of a mixed bag, but mainly gaming.

Any advise is greatly appreciated. And I thank you for your time in advance.

Thanks guys......And/or....girls?

Let me try and illustrate this for you

You can view this as quality as return per dollar

Onboard ---------------------------------------------------

Sound card ----------------------------------

External----------------------------------------------------------------------------- (external is more efficient per dollar)

Where the further right you go, the more you spend, the better the experience, minor caveat is to consider that an external solution sounds better at an equal or lesser cost

Error: 410

Sorry about not more info guys. Bare with me. Just got here. The headphones I have are Sennheiser's. If that's good or bad?

Let me try and illustrate this for you

You can view this as quality as return per dollar

Onboard ---------------------------------------------------

Sound card ----------------------------------

External------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where the further right you go, the more you spend, the better the experience

OK. Then take me as far right as possible. :)

If you're really serious about it your best option will be an external DAC and amplifier, of which exists at prices starting as low as $20 and as high as beyond your wildest beliefs.

OK. So I need a external DAC and amplifier. What's a example of wildest dreams? Pertaining to Audio that is.

I'm looking for speakers mainly because I already have headphones. I forget then name of them.

I have a Z77 Asus formula board. And audio thru my monitor, which is Asus PA279Q.

That 10-bit panel o__o you lucky person 

As mentioned before, a sound card is never really a bad choice. Then again if you're going for speakers you might want to look into a sound card rather than an external solution, cheaper and more practical or simple if you may

I don't know what your budget is but for gaming, probably the xonar phoebus. I'm not too familiar with external solutions but can't go wrong with that sound card

CPU: Intel i7-4770k MOBO: Asus Maximus VI Formula RAM: G.Skill RipJawsX 2x8GB 1600Mhz GPU: Asus GTX 780 DCuII CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Primo STORAGE: ADATA SX900 256GB / WD Caviar Blue 1TB PSU: Corsair AX760 760W MONITOR: Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM KEYBOARD: Ducky Shine 3 MOUSE: Logitech G602 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/106614-project-insert-name-enthoo-primo-rigid-acrylic-red/

OK. So I need a external DAC and amplifier. What's a example of wildest dreams? Pertaining to Audio that is.

Xonar essence one, basically the only one I know ahhaa, reviews are fantastic

OK. Then take me as far right as possible. :)

you don't really have to, I'm just trying to explain that; 

50$ sound card < motherboard (>120$, decent quality) ≥ 100$ sound card < something like a Fiio e10 < O2/ODAC amp

If you're using speakers, unless they're good quality the sound card will barely make a difference, if you're using a high end sound system digital will be used and the sound card isn't relevant anyway. External solutions that aren't garbage will be better than a sound card.

If you even need one will depend on your headphones.

There was a posting that I had read earlier where the different guys were saying that sound cards weren't the answer anymore? Not sure.

My budget is........(I don't want to be, snooty?).......but it's a none issue.

And so a xonar phoebus then? Would be a good start?

Value that posting highly, they're not.

Error: 410

That 10-bit panel o__o you lucky person 

As mentioned before, a sound card is never really a bad choice. Then again if you're going for speakers you might want to look into a sound card rather than an external solution, cheaper and more practical or simple if you may

I don't know what your budget is but for gaming, probably the xonar phoebus. I'm not too familiar with external solutions but can't go wrong with that sound card

There was a posting that I had read earlier where the different guys were saying that sound cards weren't the answer anymore? Not sure.

I might not be the most knowledgeable in audio gear ever but in my honest opinion, a good quality sound card such as the phoebus or the STX can make a big difference, especially coming from onboard

That being said, any solution beyond that, such as even more expensive sound cards or external dac/amp such as the essence one is only going to make a very noticeable difference if you have the extreme gear to go with it such as really high impedance heaphones or want the extra features such as more advanced connections or whatever there is, again i'm not too knowledgeable about that but that is what I think 

you don't really have to, I'm just trying to explain that; 

50$ sound card < motherboard (>120$, decent quality) ≥ 100$ sound card < something like a Fiio e10 < O2/ODAC amp

If you're using speakers, unless they're good quality the sound card will barely make a difference, if you're using a high end sound system digital will be used and the sound card isn't relevant anyway. External solutions that aren't garbage will be better than a sound card.

If you even need one will depend on your headphones.

I'm really sorry.........but I think I am a little slow on the up take.

OK. So. External solutions better than sound card. That must be where the DAC and AMP come in?

I have Sennheiser headphones. Good or bad? Not sure.

The setup I'm looking to purchase at the moment is a Meridian 566 running with a home-built but brilliant single ended power amplifier. It costs a tad more than most people are willing to offer though.

I might not be the most knowledgeable in audio gear ever but in my honest opinion, a good quality sound card such as the phoebus or the STX can make a big difference, especially coming from onboard

That being said, any solution beyond that, such as even more expensive sound cards or external dac/amp such as the essence one is only going to make a very noticeable difference if you have the extreme gear to go with it such as really high impedance heaphones or want the extra features such as more advanced connections or whatever there is, again i'm not too knowledgeable about that but that is what I think 

Thanks for the input. I just got a little smarter. Very little, but you know.......baby steps.  Thanks. :)

No, go a good external solution :)

I'm really sorry.........but I think I am a little slow on the up take.

OK. So. External solutions better than sound card. That must be where the DAC and AMP come in?

I have Sennheiser headphones. Good or bad? Not sure.

Yeah, external is in most cases much better than internal soundcards.

Sennheiser is a fantastic audio brand, but what model headphones do you have? Because they have low end ones and very high end ones.

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

The setup I'm looking to purchase at the moment is a Meridian 566 running with a home-built but brilliant single ended power amplifier. It costs a tad more than most people are willing to offer though.

Do you have a link maybe I could look at. I'm not having luck finding what your talking about?

Thanks for the input. I just got a little smarter. Very little, but you know.......baby steps.  Thanks. :)

No problem, I'm still learning as well, no sweats :) and for all i know i might be wrong, hopefully not entirely 

Do you have a link maybe I could look at. I'm not having luck finding what your talking about?

Fairly sure they aren't being produced anymore, so only chance to get one is when they're up for grabs second hand (which is rare). There are plenty of good alternatives though, I just have my eye set on this specific unit. None the less you should not aim for something like this unless you're ready to drop $1000 just for the DAC.

No, go a good external solution :)

Yeah, external is in most cases much better than internal soundcards.

Sennheiser is a fantastic audio brand, but what model headphones do you have? Because they have low end ones and very high end ones.

Model # is.....HD 800