"NAS-Drives" vs. "Surveillance-Drives"?

ninjapants
Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,

They have firmware that makes it so raid cards like them. 

In a normal drive, if you have a bad block, it will slow to try to read it. The raid card thinks its dead, and will drop it from the array.

In a nas/raid drive, it will just skip the bad chunk after a second or 2.

Also in a nas, the drive speed doesn't really matter as your normally limited by the network. These are for slow home nas, not enterprise san's.

Can someone explain to me why the Seagate IronWolf 4TB drive which is sold as a NAS drive has 5900rpm and costs 150€ (where I live at least) and the Seagate Seahawk drive, which is sold as a surveillance drive but has 7200rpm for 140€ and otherwise has the exact same specs (as far as I can see).

So I am obiously confused now. Why would I buy the NAS drive if I get a better price/performance ratio with the surveillance drive? There must be a reasonable explanation for this pricing.

CPU: Intel i7-6700K @4.8Ghz - MB: ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Ranger - RAM: 2x8GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4@2400Mhz - GPU: EVGA FTW GeForce GTX1080 - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB - HDD: Seagate Desktop HDD 3TB, bunch of old WD 500GB drives, old WD green 1.5TB - Case: AeroCool Mechatron - PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750 750W - Display: iijama ProLite B2712HDS 27" 1080p Display - Cooling: Enermax Liqmax II 240 - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry-MX Brown - Mouse: Corsair M65 FPS Gunmetal Black - Sound: Logitech X230

In a normal drive, if you have a bad block, it will slow to try to read it. The raid card thinks its dead, and will drop it from the array.

Also in a nas, the drive speed doesn't really matter as your normally limited by the network. These are for slow home nas, not enterprise san's.

For a normal consumer there won't be big difference.

5900rpm might not seem much, but it will still dilver you 100MB/s transfer speed, which is more than enough for NAS devices

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

16 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

3 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

For a normal consumer there won't be big difference.

5900rpm might not seem much, but it will still dilver you 100MB/s transfer speed, which is more than enough for NAS devices

Thanks for the explanation!

CPU: Intel i7-6700K @4.8Ghz - MB: ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Ranger - RAM: 2x8GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4@2400Mhz - GPU: EVGA FTW GeForce GTX1080 - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB - HDD: Seagate Desktop HDD 3TB, bunch of old WD 500GB drives, old WD green 1.5TB - Case: AeroCool Mechatron - PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750 750W - Display: iijama ProLite B2712HDS 27" 1080p Display - Cooling: Enermax Liqmax II 240 - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry-MX Brown - Mouse: Corsair M65 FPS Gunmetal Black - Sound: Logitech X230

surveillance drives are optimised for 24/7 writing from a streaming input (camera). My understanding with surveillance it doesn't matter if there are errors in writing, the drive won't go back and check or correct it will just keep writing. Storage drives however are expected to read and write all over the platter. Both will be made for 24 hour operation, just optimised for different purpose. Many people put the surveillance drives in their TV tuner/Freeview boxes. I would buy the one made for the purpose and you can judge the shit ones by the shorter warranty period.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

13 hours ago, SCHISCHKA said:

surveillance drives are optimised for 24/7 writing from a streaming input (camera). My understanding with surveillance it doesn't matter if there are errors in writing, the drive won't go back and check or correct it will just keep writing. Storage drives however are expected to read and write all over the platter. Both will be made for 24 hour operation, just optimised for different purpose. Many people put the surveillance drives in their TV tuner/Freeview boxes. I would buy the one made for the purpose and you can judge the shit ones by the shorter warranty period.

Isn't error correction behaviour not governed by the OS? In case of Seagate both Surveillance and NAS drives have 3 years of warranty, so you still think I should get the pricier NAS version?

7 minutes ago, ninjapants said:

Isn't error correction behaviour not governed by the OS? In case of Seagate both Surveillance and NAS drives have 3 years of warranty, so you still think I should get the pricier NAS version?

WD red NAS drives have 5 year warranty, thats why I chose them. Error correct can be done with filesystems like what ZFS does but drives do them in the firmware at a much lower level for things like errors from the reading head. Use a NAS drive for NAS and use a surveillance drive for CCTV or media recording

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

5 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

WD red NAS drives have 5 year warranty, thats why I chose them. Error correct can be done with filesystems like what ZFS does but drives do them in the firmware at a much lower level for things like errors from the reading head. Use a NAS drive for NAS and use a surveillance drive for CCTV or media recording

K. will do, thanks!

1 hour ago, SCHISCHKA said:

WD Red have a 3 year warranty. WD Red Pro, which are also 7200RPM, have a 5 year warranty.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

3 minutes ago, brwainer said:

WD Red have a 3 year warranty. WD Red Pro, which are also 7200RPM, have a 5 year warranty.

correct

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_