Noctua fan questions

Joelbanks5

What is the best noctua fan? 

Are there better brands? 

Are some one of their technologies just marketing tricks? 

There is no "best".

There are fans of different sizes, different static pressure, different airflow, different noise levels, etc...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Joelbanks5 said:

What is the best noctua fan? 

Are there better brands? 

Are some one of their technologies just marketing tricks? 

From what I've heard, the dust & water resistant Noctua fans make a clicking noise. So although they're the most durable, only the brown ones or LTT versions which are black & orange will be quiet with similar longevity to the Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-200 IP67.

Ryzen 5 1500X @ 3.9GHz On 1.3625V | MSI B350M Gaming Pro | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz | 3GB MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 2063MHz Core 9408MHz Mem | EVGA G2 550W | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO | Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version 1903 (Build 18362.295) | MasterCase Pro 3

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

There is no "best".

There are fans of different sizes, different static pressure, different airflow, different noise levels, etc...

Well 3 people in my last thread with questions said noctua was the best hands down and so I took their word.

also noise signature. 2 different fans with same desibels can be different. 1 can be anoying and other ok based on signature.

What matters to fans are usually the following CFM, static pressure, noise, and bearing type (this regards durability), noctua checks all of these boxes as great but they lose in pricing and are quite ugly, frankly I'd just get cheaper fans than noctua tbh

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

2 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

What matters to fans are usually the following CFM, static pressure, noise, and bearing type (this regards durability), noctua checks all of these boxes as great but they lose in pricing and are quite ugly, frankly I'd just get cheaper fans than noctua tbh

Agreed they are quite ugly, do you know of any good alternatives that perform similarly and look nice?

31 minutes ago, Joelbanks5 said:

Agreed they are quite ugly, do you know of any good alternatives that perform similarly and look nice?

Corsair air line of 120mm and 140mm fans seem good, they are also cheaper (12-15 bucks a fan depending) but they are not something you should use on a radiator for instance

Or you could go with cryorig fans both of these look good and cryorig makes really good cooling products

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4UF2E16712  120mm

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/V3fp99/cryorig-case-fan-crxfa 140mm

Oh and these appear to have good static pressure if radiators are a possibility with the 120mm fan being better at it than the 140mm in this case for static pressure

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

46 minutes ago, Joelbanks5 said:

Well 3 people in my last thread with questions said noctua was the best hands down and so I took their word.

They are good, but mostly because they have a really good balance of all 3 things.

There are fans that are quieter, there are fans with more airflow, there are fans with more static pressure, there are fans that look better, etc....

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

6 hours ago, Joelbanks5 said:

They're very hard to go wrong with and I would say they have some of the best fans tied with a few others from brands. 

Which fan is most appropriate depends on what you're looking for in a fan. There's no magical best fan design.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.