24 hour full network monitoring

VictorianReaper

im looking for a full 24 hour monitoring software for my network do you know of any that function well and have a small footprint

Dendrotoxin

CPU: i5 6600k @ 4Ghz | GPU: Zotac AMP! 1070 @ 2GHz | RAM Crucial Balistix 2x4GB | PSU EVGA G2 750w | Cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 | Case Phanteks Eclipse P400s | Motherboard Gigabyte G1 Gaming Z170 | Storage: Toshiba 3TB HDD and MyDigitalSSD M.2 256GB

Perripherals

Keyboard(s) Razer Ornata Chroma, Razer Tartarus Chroma | Mouse: Logitech G502 Spectrum | Headphone: Audio Technica M40x | Monitor HP 22CWA

Just now, VictorianReaper said:

im looking for a full 24 hour monitoring software for my network do you know of any that function well and have a small footprint

P.S. im doing this because my ISP has been disconnecting us randomly and blaming it on my PC, "Drawing to much power" or our cables. even though i tried to explain to them that all of this has been tested thoroughly and came back negative

Dendrotoxin

CPU: i5 6600k @ 4Ghz | GPU: Zotac AMP! 1070 @ 2GHz | RAM Crucial Balistix 2x4GB | PSU EVGA G2 750w | Cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 | Case Phanteks Eclipse P400s | Motherboard Gigabyte G1 Gaming Z170 | Storage: Toshiba 3TB HDD and MyDigitalSSD M.2 256GB

Perripherals

Keyboard(s) Razer Ornata Chroma, Razer Tartarus Chroma | Mouse: Logitech G502 Spectrum | Headphone: Audio Technica M40x | Monitor HP 22CWA

2 minutes ago, VictorianReaper said:

P.S. im doing this because my ISP has been disconnecting us randomly and blaming it on my PC, "Drawing to much power" or our cables. even though i tried to explain to them that all of this has been tested thoroughly and came back negative

Do you mean too much data?

i7 4790k | GTX 970 | 16GB

That's all you need to know. It's a beast.

Just now, AverageHardware said:

Do you mean too much data?

no to much power consumption

Dendrotoxin

Perripherals

3 minutes ago, VictorianReaper said:

you can set up a raspberry pi with a script that automatically tweets outages to your isp with the duration. will annoy the shit out of them.

http://www.thedrum.com/news/2016/02/01/man-holds-comcast-account-twitter-slow-bot-tweets-when-his-internet-speed-drops

1 minute ago, VictorianReaper said:

no to much power consumption

Your ISP(Internet Service Provider) doesn't provide you power. That would be your electricity company. I'm confused.

i7 4790k | GTX 970 | 16GB

That's all you need to know. It's a beast.

1 minute ago, tlink said:

you can set up a raspberry pi with a script that automatically tweets outages to your isp with the duration. will annoy the shit out of them.

http://www.thedrum.com/news/2016/02/01/man-holds-comcast-account-twitter-slow-bot-tweets-when-his-internet-speed-drops

i cant tweet when i have no internet, and they dont have a twitter

Dendrotoxin

Perripherals

2 minutes ago, VictorianReaper said:

Then write a little script to make a file when ever you can't ping a public server.

i meant when the connection is restored it sends the tweet. but sad, well that was the only input i had.

4 minutes ago, tlink said:

i dub this the world's most beutiful creation

Dendrotoxin

Perripherals

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Then write a little script to make a file when ever you can't ping a public server.

i think ill just stick with the software but ill come back if it doesnt work

Dendrotoxin

Perripherals

Your ISP doesn't know shit most likely. Most times you get a tier 1 operator that basically just wants to fob you off with excuses. It's more likely to be a modem/router problem, or wiring/circuitry such as the phone master socket. I had a similar problem a while back, I had to argue with the operators and talk to their supervisor about my problem as they kept trying to fob me off... I got an engineer sent out and it was indeed the master socket had been damaged by an electrical surge due to a lightning strike at/near the junction box and caused a component to melt slightly causing a short circuit sort of... he replaced the master socket and I haven't had a problem since.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

5 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

Your ISP doesn't know shit most likely. Most times you get a tier 1 operator that basically just wants to fob you off with excuses. It's more likely to be a modem/router problem, or wiring/circuitry such as the phone master socket. I had a similar problem a while back, I had to argue with the operators and talk to their supervisor about my problem as they kept trying to fob me off... I got an engineer sent out and it was indeed the master socket had been damaged by an electrical surge due to a lightning strike at/near the junction box and caused a component to melt slightly causing a short circuit sort of... he replaced the master socket and I haven't had a problem since.

i dont think it could be any of that, the ISP is renown to do things like these and ive tested a different router, and im not using ADSL

Dendrotoxin

Perripherals

19 minutes ago, AverageHardware said:

how do i set it up where it logs when i lose connection

Dendrotoxin

Perripherals

i dont think it could be any of that, the ISP is renown to do things like these and ive tested a different router, and im not using ADSL

Also the same on VDSL... or do you mean that you're on cable?

Yes, I used a different router too... actually bought a £170 netgear one and still had the problem, which is how I confirmed the problem was outside my premesis.

Spoiler
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Just now, paddy-stone said:

Also the same on VDSL... or do you mean that you're on cable?

Yes, I used a different router too... actually bought a £170 netgear one and still had the problem, which is how I confirmed the problem was outside my premesis.

i have a wireless receive thats on my roof that has a cable run to my router which then transmits WiFi signal, i dont know if he qualifies but my brother is an engineer and i got 0 red flags

Dendrotoxin

Perripherals

6 hours ago, VictorianReaper said:

i have a wireless receive thats on my roof that has a cable run to my router which then transmits WiFi signal, i dont know if he qualifies but my brother is an engineer and i got 0 red flags

Satellite broadband? or do you mean that you don't actually have an ISP, that you get a transmission from another person?

Sorry for this, just curious :)

Anyway, that helps rule out both cable and adsl/vdsl as culprits, lol

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

6 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

Satellite broadband? or do you mean that you don't actually have an ISP, that you get a transmission from another person?

Sorry for this, just curious :)

Anyway, that helps rule out both cable and adsl/vdsl as culprits, lol

they say wireless broadband on their site

All we need is to find line of sight from your roof to one of our towers and you’re ready to go.

Dendrotoxin

Perripherals

Just now, Jeffy said:

It definitely isn't about throttling right?

no

Dendrotoxin

Perripherals

6 hours ago, VictorianReaper said:

they say wireless broadband on their site

That's cool.... where do you live if you don't mind my asking? it's very hard to find much info on this, I know what it is, but would like more info... doing a search for it only brings up a few things, as well as loads of others that aren't related because wireless broadband can encompass everything from 3g/4g/satellite to wifi. it's basically like satellite broadband in the fact you are using a dish, but you get your signal from a tower instead.

There are loads of good technologies that exist now.

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

1 hour ago, paddy-stone said:

That's cool.... where do you live if you don't mind my asking? it's very hard to find much info on this, I know what it is, but would like more info... doing a search for it only brings up a few things, as well as loads of others that aren't related because wireless broadband can encompass everything from 3g/4g/satellite to wifi. it's basically like satellite broadband in the fact you are using a dish, but you get your signal from a tower instead.

There are loads of good technologies that exist now.

Remember than video Linus made about 12 mile wifi using ubiquiti hardware? This is the exact same stuff. It's called a Wireless ISP, or WISP. The primary hardware manufacturers for this market are Ubiquiti and Mikrotik. WISPs can use Wifi, Microwave, or other proprietary wireless protocols like Mikrotik's NV2 for the communication between their central locations and their customers. WISPs are usually smaller, local companies, and are common in rural and mountain areas.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

21 hours ago, VictorianReaper said:

My first recommendation is to buy a small UPS, 450W would be plenty, and use it to *only* power your router and the ISP's equipment (they probably have a POE injector somewhere that powers their equipment, ask them where it is if you don't know). Once all the internet-related equipment is connected to a UPS, questions about power issues in your house are moot, because even if you had a complete blackout, you should still have internet until the UPS battery is drained.

Secondly, you can set up a network monitoring system like Zabbix, Nagios, or PRTG. I recommend Zabbix because it's a little difficult to get up and running, but it is easy to use once it is installed. There are precompiled .deb files for Raspbian Jessie for use on the Raspberry Pi 3 here: https://github.com/imkebe/zabbix3-rpi

The first step after you have a monitoring system running would be to add some simple ping rules, such as to your router, to whatever the default gateway your router gets assigned is, and to something on the internet like 8.8.8.8 (make this one run less frequently than the others, say every 5 or 10 minutes). When your internet goes out, take a look to see which of these are failing.

Extra steps you can take are monitoring your router via SNMP (if it supports it) and doing the same for the wireless dish.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

2 hours ago, brwainer said:

Remember than video Linus made about 12 mile wifi using ubiquiti hardware? This is the exact same stuff. It's called a Wireless ISP, or WISP. The primary hardware manufacturers for this market are Ubiquiti and Mikrotik. WISPs can use Wifi, Microwave, or other proprietary wireless protocols like Mikrotik's NV2 for the communication between their central locations and their customers. WISPs are usually smaller, local companies, and are common in rural and mountain areas.

Yeah, I know it's the same technology kind of, but the video that linus did was basically hooking up the business internet to the house wasn't it, so the end ISP would still be his business ISP. Wherein this case the ISP is using dishes to distribute it's network. It's cool technology, and awesome for more remote areas to get connected for sure. Just confusing when no-one mentions it in the thread, it's better to have all the info for troubleshooting purposes as if not then we just assume it's either cable/adsl/vdsl as they are the most prevalent tech around.

I live in a small village and luckily we have been connected to VDSL, so only the last 1/4 mile of the connection is copper for us. But I know lots of people that still have crappy internet connections on regular adsl.

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Until recently I worked for a Wireless ISP. That said, I still see in no way how your homes power consumption has anything to do with your internet. Sounds to me as though they aren't giving you the whole story...