24 hour full network monitoring

VictorianReaper

I use Observium and SmokePing at my house and I have an external monitor to alert me when I have an internet outage at home just in case I'm not home to experience it. That way I have a timestamp to use when I look through my monitoring software.

-KuJoe

• 1 month later...
On 20/10/2016 at 5:49 PM, VictorianReaper said:

im looking for a full 24 hour monitoring software for my network do you know of any that function well and have a small footprint

Indeed this is a great recommendation. Let me add another choice for network monitoring, Pandora FMS, you can find more information in this article (summary and how to install). Using a software such as Zabbix or Pandora FMS is the best choice, however, I think it should be overwhelming if you are not used to this type of tools. 

I recommend you to use tools such as ntop to check your bandwidth. Wireshark is a good deal. You can save logs and send them attached in your ticket.

Another choice is changing the ISP ;)

Best

I'm pretty sure pfsense or sophos creates a graph, which would monitor the network status in the past hours. Not sure if this is what you need.

They're both free.

If your ISP really is complaining about your "power usage", then you need to call them up and tell them that they're fucking retarded. Then change to a new ISP.

You could also buy a $3/mo server and setup a simple PHP script that pings your home network every x minutes, and emails you when its down.