Steam Link to be integrated into new Samsung TVs

sylarspock

Samsung TVs will come with Steam Link integrated directly into them.

steam_link_1

Valve has announced at Steam Dev Days a new partnership with Samsung that will allow Samsung TVs to have Steam Link integration built-in.

Steam Link is Valve’s in-home streaming tech that works by streaming games from a capable PC to a small box (Steam Link) you can connect to any TV in the house. Just like Xbox One to Windows 10 streaming, and other game streaming solutions, this depends on your network’s quality and the power of your PC.

You’ll still need a controller to play, but this removes the need for connecting the device to an HDMI port, not to mention buying it separately. The news was revealed at the conference, via Steam Spy, but Valve did not say when we’ll start to actually see models with Steam Link support.

This isn’t the first time a third-party streaming solution made its way to Samsung TV sets. Sony previously announced a deal to bring PlayStation Now to Samsung TVs, removing the need to own a PlayStation console to do this.

Steam Link costs $50 and has generally been getting favourable reviews since its release.

Source: https://www.vg247.com/2016/10/13/steam-link-to-be-integrated-into-new-samsung-tvs/

I think this is cool, Valve should partner with more TV manufacturers to include Steam Link.
At the same time, TV manufacturers would consider PC gaming more seriously with Valve working with them and perhaps work on the input lag.

yay 1080 30fps. I can make those console peasant happy now

i'm hoping that in implementing the steam link the manufacturers can actually reduce input lag when gaming. though i expect that it'll give them an excuse to ramp the price 

48 minutes ago, sylarspock said:

Source: https://www.vg247.com/2016/10/13/steam-link-to-be-integrated-into-new-samsung-tvs/

I think this is cool, Valve should partner with more TV manufacturers to include Steam Link.
At the same time, TV manufacturers would consider PC gaming more seriously with Valve working with them and perhaps work on the input lag.

Wtf PC gaming is literally the biggest gaming Platform, shouldn't they already be working on implementing shit for us to buy their TV instead of monitors sized screens?

shield tv > steam link. you can play more games on the shield as long as you have a nvidia gpu

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

5 hours ago, jaggysnake57 said:

shield tv > steam link. you can play more games on the shield as long as you have a nvidia gpu

Wouldn't you need the Shield Controller and Shield Remote to go with it? Heard the normal xbox controllers (and soon to be supported dualshock controllers) didn't work well (without additional software) with it back then. Not sure if they changed it now. Real question would be whether this bumps up the price tag of the TV, but I would prefer an integrated feature, rather than having to hook up another device beside the TV.

Screw streaming, screw multi-platform crap ala consoles environment. Just make it PC in console form factor for people to but like MS could do that with XB branded PC that is not running on custom hardware anymore.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

1 hour ago, dragosudeki said:

Wouldn't you need the Shield Controller and Shield Remote to go with it? Heard the normal xbox controllers (and soon to be supported dualshock controllers) didn't work well (without additional software) with it back then. Not sure if they changed it now. Real question would be whether this bumps up the price tag of the TV, but I would prefer an integrated feature, rather than having to hook up another device beside the TV.

if your smart you can get the shield, a controler and a remote for £150 if your reall smart yo can get it for £130 but still the standard shield comes with a controller 

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Sweet. Most smart tv's are hooked up to the network anyways. With this gaming focus, maybe Samsung will support freesync over hdmi soon. Would be awesome, since the new consoles should support it too, soon.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro