70-200 2.8 on crop sensor? Too tight frame?

link955

Was looking into  getting the sigma 70-200 for my nikon d7100 and am going to manly use for portraits and indoor sports events (and to add to my landscape gear for farther away stuff) and was wondering if anyone has had experience shooting a 70--200 on a crop sensor and if the frame was too tight to get shot  in a smallish room? And if so any other suggestions? Thanks

It depends where you will be standing and the distance the players are from you.  70-200 will give you the FOV of a 105-300 on the D7100.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

I don't think Nikon can do it but I have a speed booster adapter for my Nikon to Sony lenses which the full frame lens on a crop sensor is almost the same on full frame. It's like a .71 crop instead of a 1.5 or something like that. Plus the f2.8 acts like a f2. 

5 minutes ago, thekillergazebo said:

I don't think Nikon can do it but I have a speed booster adapter for my Nikon to Sony lenses which the full frame lens on a crop sensor is almost the same on full frame. It's like a .71 crop instead of a 1.5 or something like that. Plus the f2.8 acts like a f2. 

A speedbooster or telecompressor would work if the lens was designed for a camera with a longer flange distance than the Nikon body.  However with a lens designed for the same flange distance as the body, adding an adapter would also require the glass element inside the adapter to correct for flange distance changes.  The adapter's electronics, if any exists, would have to act as a pass through instead of translating the electronic system of one camera system to another camera system which is what an electronic adapter for something like a Canon EF lens to Sony camera body would do.

The best thing link995 can do is ask someone who has taken photos in the same location he is going to be photographing and listen to what they say about various focal lengths.  Me, I would not be able to give a definitive answer because I am not familiar with the same exact location and telling me that the room is smallish doesn't tell me anything.  To me, a high-school basketball court would be small compared to a professional football stadium but larger than the space in my backyard where I play basketball.  It's fuzzy logic.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

14 hours ago, link955 said:

Was looking into  getting the sigma 70-200 for my nikon d7100 and am going to manly use for portraits and indoor sports events (and to add to my landscape gear for farther away stuff) and was wondering if anyone has had experience shooting a 70--200 on a crop sensor and if the frame was too tight to get shot  in a smallish room? And if so any other suggestions? Thanks

A 70-200 is great for sports and portraits.

I use a canon 70D with canon 70-200 f4 L lens to shoot college football, basketball, and baseball.

It can be a bit tight if you are close to the court in basketball but all you need to do is look for a subject across the court and get tighter shots of their face. My 70-200, along with my sigma 18-35 1.8, is one of the best lens investments that I've made.

Hope my input helps.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 10:43 PM, link955 said:

I have Nikon 70-200 F2.8 and sometimes use it with a D7100. In a small room, you will get head shots. At 70mm your looking at about 20 feet to get full body. Its not a bad combination but if you have the room.

me

It should work for outdoor sports like Football perfectly well. You might have issues using it for indoor sports, although that depends on the size of the stadium.

I just tried the focal lengths on my 90-300mm on the Canon 50d, and they seem like they'd be ok for portraits, I don't know if framing is perfect for sports though, I guess it'd be fine on the wide end. 

I also saw a video by Tony Northup who compared the Canon Vs. Nikon 70-200 and found the Nikon to be wider at equivalent focal lengths, somthing about the lens elements (its been a while since I've seen the video). Someone who is more well versed on the technical side may be able to explain that. This is the video, the point is at 9 minutes in. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

18 minutes ago, cc143 said:

I just tried the focal lengths on my 90-300mm on the Canon 50d, and they seem like they'd be ok for portraits, I don't know if framing is perfect for sports though, I guess it'd be fine on the wide end. 

I also saw a video by Tony Northup who compared the Canon Vs. Nikon 70-200 and found the Nikon to be wider at equivalent focal lengths, somthing about the lens elements (its been a while since I've seen the video). Someone who is more well versed on the technical side may be able to explain that. This is the video, the point is at 9 minutes in. 

https://www.flickr.com/groups/1949459@N23/discuss/72157647296609035/

I have a feeling he's talking about focus breathing.  I don't watch or follow any of his stuff.

3 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

Its interesting to see the focus breathing effect, I was only vaguely aware of it.

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

2 minutes ago, cc143 said:

Its interesting to see the focus breathing effect, I was only vaguely aware of it.

Yeah it's noticeable with some lenses and it can change between generation of lenses.  The previous Nikon 70-200, the VR I, had less FB then VR II.

Anyway, I find most of that video to be completely pointless.  It's like he made this video as a way of convincing himself to stick with his current gear.  It may highlight some interesting points, but in the end it doesn't really matter.  His target audience seems to be amateur photographers who don't have the experience or any professional work where these points will matter because they are amateurs.  And if he is targeting professionals, well pros already have invested in one ecosystem or another and probably have a collection of different lenses to help them achieve the look they want.

1 minute ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

Yeah it's noticeable with some lenses and it can change between generation of lenses.  The previous Nikon 70-200, the VR I, had less FB then VR II.

Anyway, I find most of that video to be completely pointless.  It's like he made this video as a way of convincing himself to stick with his current gear.  It may highlight some interesting points, but in the end it doesn't really matter.  His target audience seems to be amateur photographers who don't have the experience or any professional work where these points will matter because they are amateurs.  And if he is targeting professionals, well pros already have invested in one ecosystem or another and probably have a collection of different lenses to help them achieve the look they want.

Yes I know, that's not why I linked to it, it was just to highlight the effect since it wasn't mentioned and I never used a 70-200mm, never the less both Nikon and Canon to compare effective focal ranges, I just thought it might be relevant to OP in some way. 

7 minutes ago, cc143 said:

Yes I know, that's not why I linked to it, it was just to highlight the effect since it wasn't mentioned and I never used a 70-200mm, never the less both Nikon and Canon to compare effective focal ranges, I just thought it might be relevant to OP in some way. 

Well the OP has a Nikon body, can't mount a Canon lens.  Second, FB is more prominent with close up shots than distance shots.  If the OP is going to use a 70-200 lens for taking sports photos, he'll probably never come closer than a few of meters away from his subject.   The FB of the 70-200 comes into play when standing a meter or so away from the subject to take something like a headshot portrait.  Finally, the OP is considering a Sigma lens.

You're not incorrect to share this information or point things out, but sometimes too much information can cause more confusion and doubt.