motherboard designers.... why?

kinda of just a rant here cause i doubt anything with change but none the less...

24pin and other bulky connections, why AREN'T they angled at 90*... some finally started with right angle usb 3.0 headers, we've had right angle sata ports forever, how is it that MB designers just cant see or realize how much better and looking a right angle 24pin header would be. it would be SOOO easy to implement and yet not a single MB manufacture does it. think about how much stress is put on the MB when trying to bend a psu 24pin thru a grommet and 180* down to get in the plug? having a right angle plug would solve that and in most cases make the 24 pin nearly out of site.

Angled ports are not that often useful. That's why you have an opportunity to choose. It's always better to have a choice than to have none.

I think the main reason would be that if it wasn't covered in plastic, it would expose the connections, leaving power shortages at a higher risk. And potentially manufacturing costs. Having it at a 90* angle would be so much better, I agree.  But people like FrozenCPU also make right angle connectors like these: http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g51/c379/s1014/list/p1/Connectors-24_Pin_Connectors-24-Pin_90_Male-Page1.html

1 minute ago, Tea1337 said:

I think the main reason would be that if it wasn't covered in plastic, it would expose the connections, leaving power shortages at a higher risk. And potentially manufacturing costs. Having it at a 90* angle would be so much better, I agree.  But people like FrozenCPU also make right angle connectors like these: http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g51/c379/s1014/list/p1/Connectors-24_Pin_Connectors-24-Pin_90_Male-Page1.html

yes having those pins exposed would be bad and alot of people would fry MBs but if they simply made a right angled plastic 24pin port, it would be easy, i actually might think about 3d printing one out and then desoldering a 24pin and adding my own, of course to a cheap POS mb and not something $$$

14 minutes ago, Andrew Storlie said:

-SNIP-

It's been done by EVGA, main problem is the location of grommets and the 24 pin don't always line up so you can't route it back behind the motherboard cleanly. 

Have you seen the thickness of the 24-pin connectors versus SATA? They much to stiff to bend if the case isn't built for it.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

I think probably the easiest solution would be for power supply developers to offer 90 degree angled connectors for their power supplies. 

Especially modular power supplies. I'd be 100% down for paying a few bucks extra to opt for a package of additional 90 degree connectors.

And that would avoid extra hassle of wiring on the motherboards.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

I've had motherboards that do that actually, it can be a pain more than a blessing 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

1 minute ago, Atmos said:

I think probably the easiest solution would be for power supply developers to offer 90 degree angled connectors for their power supplies. 

Especially modular power supplies. I'd be 100% down for paying a few bucks extra to opt for a package of additional 90 degree connectors.

And that would avoid extra hassle of wiring on the motherboards.

actually that is amazing idea, much better then the MB doing it. have the PSU simply include a right angle 24pin able or a 24pin right angle adapter

Just now, Andrew Storlie said:

actually that is amazing idea, much better then the MB doing it. have the PSU simply include a right angle 24pin able or a 24pin right angle adapter

The only issue being that there are a lot of times when the 24 pin or other various connectors that don't have any kind of ability to accommodate a 90 degree connection, so it would have to be optional. If it were optional, it would be freaking awesome, even if its just like a 6-8" extension with one 90 degree connector.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||