windows xp install help

kelvinhall05

so i wanted to try installing windows xp on a trash found dell optiplex sx270, since i had a bunch of spare disks and stuff. i was to the point were it was installing windows and talking about a "new look" (lol) when i got an error message. this is confusing, since i had tried another install disk and got the same error. also, all four "optiplex diagnostix lights" were green, which is good (i think). anyone know what this problem is, and how to fix it?

WIN_20160927_165221.JPG

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

The hard drive might have been able to pass POST, but it looks like there's something else wrong with it since if I remember a cyclic redundancy check error means that the hard drive is buggered, so I would suggest trying to run some diagnostics on the hard drive or swapping it out with another hard drive to see if that works.

34 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

so i wanted to try installing windows xp on a trash found dell optiplex sx270, since i had a bunch of spare disks and stuff. i was to the point were it was installing windows and talking about a "new look" (lol) when i got an error message. this is confusing, since i had tried another disk and got the same error. also, all four "optiplex diagnostix lights" were green, which is good (i think). anyone know what this problem is, and how to fix it?

WIN_20160927_165221.JPG

i tried, but it had stuff on it and i cant wipe it. any idea how to wipe it?

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, mineblaster said:

its seems to have a problem with the iso is it disk or usb

disk

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

got any spare disk drives encase the one in it has crap itself at some point who knows how old it is

got any spare disk drives encase the one in it has crap itself at some point who knows how old it is

what do you mean "encase it"

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

2 minutes ago, mineblaster said:

could always do a usb iso if you motherboard supports usb booting?

xp sp2 iso link if you need one

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=18242

is this pretty much installation media? also, is this safe? i thought they stopped supporting xp in 2014...

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

i would be amazed if someone had that web url and could run a fake site

and alot of still supports xp atm's medical equipment etc and other backend stuff you wouldent think of 

i think its just updates to fix vulnerabilitys etc that arent being updated you can still get ISO's

2 minutes ago, mineblaster said:

i would be amazed if someone had that web url and could run a fake site

and alot of still supports xp atm's medical equipment etc and other backend stuff you wouldent think of 

i think its just updates to fix vulnerabilitys etc that arent being updated you can still get ISO's

ok, so do i just put it on a usb/dvd and boot from it?

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

13 minutes ago, mineblaster said:

you need the usb dvd tool  

or use rufus its up to you

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

where do i get it?

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

http://prntscr.com/cn6crx

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

just scroll down on that other link 

theres a link to the window tool there too

then what do i do? from now on, can you just post the next step?

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

iso guide.png

so select your usb device with the top option that is circled make sure your cat pictures are safe somewhere else as its gonna wipe the drive clean

and the second lower thing circled select the window xp you downloaded earlier then you should be good to go

iso guide.png

so select your usb device with the top option that is circled make sure your cat pictures are safe somewhere else as its gonna wipe the drive clean

and the second lower thing circled select the window xp you downloaded earlier then you should be good to go

k thx. boot off of this drive we just created?

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

8 minutes ago, mineblaster said:

iso guide.png

and i format it as ntfs or fat32?

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, mineblaster said:

fat32 to be safe

then you should be ready to boot

ok thx! lemme try that :)

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

it says the image is not supported or bootable.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

allgoods gotta make an iso for my server i got the wrong key so i gotta upgrade so i can use it so two jobs at once i guess

Just now, mineblaster said:

allgoods gotta make an iso for my server i got the wrong key so i gotta upgrade so i can use it so two jobs at once i guess

? it said the image is not supported/bootable

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

do you have a newer computer to test if you can boot?

the bios on that one might not like usb boots