Nvidia Shield Tablet wait and hope or get right now?

Laggger164

So I want to buy an Nvidia Shield tablet. Do you guys think it is worth it right now or should I hope it gets an upgraded version and get that?

Because I want it either way, just not feeling too great about getting 2 years old hardware (because I am not an Apple user)

But it might be very useful to me right now.

Also do you think it is good to get a keyboard and/or a mouse for an android tablet? Or should I stay away from that?

Thanks for your replies!

Why do you even need a tablet?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Afaik there was a new one in development but it got canceled.

So if you want one, get one now :P

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

18 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Why do you even need a tablet?

More of a laptop replacement for me. I need something multifunctional to take to school, make presentations with it, things like that. And Gaming on the go of course. Its got some sweet multimedia functionality too!

I know unfortunately that it got cancelled, but there still might be hope!

7 minutes ago, Laggger164 said:

More of a laptop replacement for me. I need something multifunctional to take to school, make presentations with it, things like that. And Gaming on the go of course. Its got some sweet multimedia functionality too!

I know unfortunately that it got cancelled, but there still might be hope!

Why can't you just use a laptop for that?  

Much more power, battery life, and full OS functionality.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I have the shield tablet, and it is great for mobile gaming. I wouldn't want to use it much for anything else though.

A low end laptop should be affordable in a similar budget. I note even at lower prices there's tablet/convertible devices, even if it does mean Windows running on low end hardware...

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

4 minutes ago, CoolJ S.A.S. said:

The tablet is more portable, and for the money you spend it's better for gaming at that price point. There's pros and cons to laptops and tablets. 

By that logic you might as well game on your phone since it will run the same games.

A tablet is far less powerful than a laptop.

And there are laptops just as portable as tablets, maybe a bit larger like the XPS13.

There really isn't a point to tablets, it's just a gimmick phone with a larger screen that can't do much more than the phone itself.

Maybe even less since it usually won't make calls.

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, CoolJ S.A.S. said:

So in other words, you just don't want the OP to buy a tablet because you don't like tablets. :P

No, because a laptop would be a much better option and way more useful.

Spoiler

It would, but it would cost more than 700$ for a laptop with specs I need. Not saying this tablet actually meets them, but COME ON you can play Half-Life 2 on a freaking tablet!

Also the Nvidia GRID and Gamestream are nice to have.

And I like the stylus too, might be good for taking notes. 

Depends on you actually, Nvidia Shield Tablet K1 should set you about $200. I think it also has a stylus dedicated for this tablet (DirectStylus 2) but not sure myself if it is using active digitizer or not and whether it comes with the tablet or sold separately.

I don't think you need a mouse and keyboard for an Android tablet, touch typing and swipes should be more than enough. If you do need a mouse and keyboard, you better off using a laptop instead.

Daily drivers:

- HP Elite x2 1012 G2: Intel Core i7-7600U, Intel HD Graphics 620 + Aorus Gaming Box GTX 1080 eGPU, 16GB LPDDR3-1867, 256GB Toshiba NVMe PCIe 3.0 x4 SSD + 128GB Toshiba Exceria UHS-1 U3 MicroSD, 12.3" 2736x1824 + HP Pavilion 22cwa Monitor 21.5" 1080p IPS, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

- LG V20 (H990DS): Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 (ARM-based), Adreno 530, 4GB LPDDR4, 64GB eMMC UFS 2.0 + 64GB SanDisk Extreme UHS-1 U3 V30 MicroSD, 5.7" IPS LCD 1440p + 2.1" 160x1040, Android 7.0 (LG UX 5.0)

Other devices:

- Lenovo IdeaPad Y400: Intel Core i7-3630QM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M SLI, 16GB DDR3-1600, 120GB Kingston mS200 mSATA SSD + 1TB HGST Travelstar 7K1000 7200rpm 2.5" HDD, 14" 768p, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit + Ubuntu 16.04 LTS 64-bit [retired]

- Dell Venue 11 Pro (7139): Intel Core i5-4300Y, Intel HD Graphics 4200, 8GB LPDDR3-1600, 256GB SanDisk X110 M.2 2260 SATA3 SSD, 10.8" 1080p IPS, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit + Ubuntu 16.04 LTS 64-bit [retired]

- Acer Iconia W4: Intel Atom Z3740, Intel HD Graphics, 2GB DDR3L-1033, 64GB Samsung MCG8GC eMMC, 8" IPS WXGA (1280x800), Windows 10 Home 32-bit

- Asus ZenFone 2 ZE551ML: Intel Atom Z3580 (x86-based), PowerVR G6430, 4GB LPDDR3, 64GB eMMC, 5.5" IPS LCD 1080p, Android 6.0.1 (Asus ZenUI)

- New Nintendo 2DS XL

• 3 weeks later...

I'd wait and see if they still would release one... looks like they passed the torch to Nintendo... I would have gotten the newer shield tablet if ever they release one

On 3. 10. 2016 at 4:58 PM, ErrystioT said:

Depends on you actually, Nvidia Shield Tablet K1 should set you about $200. I think it also has a stylus dedicated for this tablet (DirectStylus 2) but not sure myself if it is using active digitizer or not and whether it comes with the tablet or sold separately.

I don't think you need a mouse and keyboard for an Android tablet, touch typing and swipes should be more than enough. If you do need a mouse and keyboard, you better off using a laptop instead.

The stylus is not an active one, they dont need to do that, since they use the Tegra K1 processor to do all the simulations.

Also I dont know if the stylus comes with it or not, it did with the old one, but I dont think it does with this one unfortunately...

So it is a smaller Apple pencil for 20 bucks. Only problem is that this stylus will work like that only on the Shield Tablet. Nothing else.

Still, I am getting that thing. Mouse would be great, but I dont think I will need it on a tablet. Keyboard would be nice, but the Keyboard covers are expensive and not comfortable to use, since they are so tiny. I will eventually buy a wireless keyboard and mouse... just... not now. Not necessary.