Door mounted radiator

Would something like this be good in the long run (no issues from moving the tubing and fittings).

306-21.png

The reason for it? A lot of cases has 5cm+ between PCI screws and the door, meaning enough room for slim radiators + fans, as long as you dont use a tall GPU.

Also, modding a side panel is a lot easier then a whole case, if the shipped radiator mounts are not enough.

I speak my mind, sorry if thats a problem.

Is it so far out there, that no one knows if it will work safely?

I mean, I know it will work, but how well can fittings and tubing handle the stress of movement?

14 hours ago, OddsCrazyStuff said:

-SNIP-

Yeah it's not a problem as long as your not putting a very harsh bend in the tubing as I would be more worried about kinking the tubing especially if it's s custom loop with the thin walled stuff. 

6 hours ago, W-L said:

Yeah it's not a problem as long as your not putting a very harsh bend in the tubing as I would be more worried about kinking the tubing especially if it's s custom loop with the thin walled stuff. 

I'm currently using 15,9/9,5mm, so dont think thats a problem.

There is also anti-kink stuff I can add to the tubes to the doors, if needed.

10 hours ago, OddsCrazyStuff said:

I'm currently using 15,9/9,5mm, so dont think thats a problem.

There is also anti-kink stuff I can add to the tubes to the doors, if needed.

Yeah you should be good if things are a little tight you can always use come angled fittings to give extra clearance.

On 9/24/2016 at 11:41 AM, OddsCrazyStuff said:

The reason for it? A lot of cases has 5cm+ between PCI screws and the door, meaning enough room for slim radiators + fans, as long as you dont use a tall GPU.

Also, modding a side panel is a lot easier then a whole case, if the shipped radiator mounts are not enough.

Plus you might be able to get replacement side panels for your chassis depending on manufacturer -- Corsair I know sells them.

The only concern I'd have here is weight, depending on the chassis you're using. Side panels generally aren't designed to have anything mounted to them with the exception of maybe one or two fans. So they're likely to be made with thinner metal and generally have no support to it. AIO radiators are aluminum and lighter, so those would be better suited, whereas most radiators for custom loops are copper. Regardless, mount the radiator to the panel instead of the fans between the radiators and panels. Make sure as well to use washers on the screws to spread out the pressure on the panel.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

1 hour ago, brandishwar said:

Plus you might be able to get replacement side panels for your chassis depending on manufacturer -- Corsair I know sells them.

The only concern I'd have here is weight, depending on the chassis you're using. Side panels generally aren't designed to have anything mounted to them with the exception of maybe one or two fans. So they're likely to be made with thinner metal and generally have no support to it. AIO radiators are aluminum and lighter, so those would be better suited, whereas most radiators for custom loops are copper. Regardless, mount the radiator to the panel instead of the fans between the radiators and panels. Make sure as well to use washers on the screws to spread out the pressure on the panel.

Yeah, I might need to find a way to spread the weight. Maybe something like metal rods (mounted under the radiator) that snaps in place when the door is closed.

Also, I was planning on using an aluminium/steel case, so hopefully that means the doors can handle it.

1 hour ago, OddsCrazyStuff said:

Yeah, I might need to find a way to spread the weight. Maybe something like metal rods (mounted under the radiator) that snaps in place when the door is closed.

Also, I was planning on using an aluminium/steel case, so hopefully that means the doors can handle it.

Well most chassis are made of steel. It's just that the steel used on the side panels tends to be rather thin since, again, builders typically aren't mounting anything to them except a fan or two. Aluminum chassis tend to have the benefit of being the same gauge all around, so you should be good on that, but find specifications if you can.

Alternatively, something you can turn into a feature, is to make a "backplate" of sorts for the radiator, something to help reinforce the panel where the radiator will be mounted. Or you can sandwich the panel between the fans and radiator with the fans on the outside, then just have another hole for passing the fan cables through.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

1 minute ago, brandishwar said:

Well most chassis are made of steel. It's just that the steel used on the side panels tends to be rather thin since, again, builders typically aren't mounting anything to them except a fan or two. Aluminum chassis tend to have the benefit of being the same gauge all around, so you should be good on that, but find specifications if you can.

Alternatively, something you can turn into a feature, is to make a "backplate" of sorts for the radiator, something to help reinforce the panel where the radiator will be mounted. Or you can sandwich the panel between the fans and radiator with the fans on the outside, then just have another hole for passing the fan cables through.

MountainMods Monticle 24: http://www.mountainmods.com/monticle-24-cyo-custom-computer-case-p-500.html

It comes with an optional door panel that can fit 3x 480mm. Material - Aluminum 5052, Thickness - 1.65mm-3.25mm.

Think thats the closest I come out of the box. Only issue will be to find a way to mount a few hinges, so the door can be kept open and somewhat secure when needed.

49 minutes ago, OddsCrazyStuff said:

MountainMods Monticle 24: http://www.mountainmods.com/monticle-24-cyo-custom-computer-case-p-500.html

It comes with an optional door panel that can fit 3x 480mm. Material - Aluminum 5052, Thickness - 1.65mm-3.25mm.

Think thats the closest I come out of the box. Only issue will be to find a way to mount a few hinges, so the door can be kept open and somewhat secure when needed.

Yeah you'll be fine without needing any reinforcement. I used one of their pedestals with another 18x18 panel to make a radiator box (here and here).

30 minutes ago, brandishwar said:

Yeah you'll be fine without needing any reinforcement. I used one of their pedestals with another 18x18 panel to make a radiator box (here and here).

My system will basically be your 2 cases in 1, which it looks like will work (mine will be 6" wider then your water box).

So only problem will be to get the door on and off, plus maybe storage (depending on how much space there solutions need).