First "expensive" headphones, What do i buy?

xLmarley

Ok does that mean that headphones with higher resistance can be cranked up higher, assuming you have the voltage?    It sounds like something i dont need to worry about lol

ModHouseAudio Argon/Gargon

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

12 minutes ago, xLmarley said:

Ok does that mean that headphones with higher resistance can be cranked up higher, assuming you have the voltage?    It sounds like something i dont need to worry about lol

No. That is determined by power handling, which is a separate spec.

4 minutes ago, xLmarley said:

http://www.audiotechnicashop.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=91_36&product_id=631      These are the ones im considering the most.  the m70x

Overpriced.

Its those or the MSR7s for £180 or the A990Z for £200, but they arent in stock on the official site.

DT880, They're "Semi Open" (I thought if something was partially open, it was classed as open?), have good pretty good low end for metal and rock. They also only cost half your budget.

Thanks everyone for all of your advice.    In the end i went for a pair of audio technica A990Zs because they had them in stock at John Lewis and John Lewis has a really good return policy.  If im unhappy with them for any reason, i can take them into a store for a full refund no questions asked.    Next i need a sound card as the on board audio on my motherboard is fucked.  Thats why ive been using Cloud 2s as theyre USB.  

21 minutes ago, xLmarley said:

Thanks everyone for all of your advice.    In the end i went for a pair of audio technica A990Zs because they had them in stock at John Lewis and John Lewis has a really good return policy.  If im unhappy with them for any reason, i can take them into a store for a full refund no questions asked.    Next i need a sound card as the on board audio on my motherboard is fucked.  Thats why ive been using Cloud 2s as theyre USB.  

And what is your budget for the DAC/amp?

THe impedance is only 44ohms so i doubt i would need a super powerful amp but i will be sure to get a quality one for reliable steady current flow.  Honestly im not sure what a DAC is for. 

6 minutes ago, xLmarley said:

THe impedance is only 44ohms so i doubt i would need a super powerful amp but i will be sure to get a quality one for reliable steady current flow.  Honestly im not sure what a DAC is for. 

Schiit Fulla.

As if it is actually called Fulla Schiit. the marketing guys are awesome.   Is it the really small USB looking thing or is that something else?   i was expecting to need

a big box on my desk

6 minutes ago, SSL said:

Schiit Fulla.

1 minute ago, xLmarley said:

As if it is actually called Fulla Schiit. the marketing guys are awesome.   Is it the really small USB looking thing or is that something else?   i was expecting to need

a big box on my desk

This will do the job. If you want to get big boxes, you're welcome to do that as well.

3 minutes ago, SSL said:

This will do the job. If you want to get big boxes, you're welcome to do that as well.

I just read a review and they said they experienced issues on some pairs of headphones like out of sync left and right volume.   I guess i will have to do some research to see what pairs best with these particular headphones. 

I need a new sound card anyway is it possible to get a sound card that has a high power output and DAC technology built into it?

4 hours ago, Thread212 said:

u were saying "  he/she clearly knows jack shit about audio and should just stay away "
thats not the truth.
who are u to tell me to stay away?
i have right to answer a question in here.

Point number 3. are u sure? u are the most superior in terms of audio in this forum? u are not the only one who knows about audio.
from your point number 3. it explain that u are narcissistic teenager.

besides i already re-post to correct myself

You shouldn't post if you don't know anything about the topic at hand. That's what they're saying. Maybe don't post if you don't know anything about the subject.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

1 minute ago, KaminKevCrew said:

You shouldn't post if you don't know anything about the topic at hand. That's what they're saying. Maybe don't post if you don't know anything about the subject.

Do you have any information that can help me or are you just patrolling the forum? 

29 minutes ago, xLmarley said:

I need a new sound card anyway is it possible to get a sound card that has a high power output and DAC technology built into it?

How high are we talking?

im not sure about the power output.        Ive decided that i want the DAC to be outside of my PC as the analogue signal might pick up interference if it is inside with all the other components.      I also like the idea of it being portable so i can use my headphones on the go.   http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/oppo-ha-2-portable-headphone-amplifier-usb-dac.html im thinking of getting this but its pretty pricey.

You can use this one as a battery bank for charging your phone too and i was thinking of getting one of them soon anyway so you can sort of take off around £40 of the price so it doesnt feel as bad.   

31 minutes ago, xLmarley said:

Do you have any information that can help me or are you just patrolling the forum? 

I do, most of my 3,000+ posts were actually made in this sub. It's just been a while since I've been around here super consistently. 

Do you have an iphone, or an android phone?

If you have an iphone, I would suggest the usb 3 adapter from apple, and a battery bank, as well as something like the new audioquest dragonfly's. 

If you have an android phone, I would still suggest a dragonfly, but that's my personal preference, because I like the form factor.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

2 minutes ago, KaminKevCrew said:

I do, most of my 3,000+ posts were actually made in this sub. It's just been a while since I've been around here super consistently. 

Do you have an iphone, or an android phone?

If you have an iphone, I would suggest the usb 3 adapter from apple, and a battery bank, as well as something like the new audioquest dragonfly's. 

If you have an android phone, I would still suggest a dragonfly, but that's my personal preference, because I like the form factor.

Dragonfly looks nice, but I still have trouble giving money to a company that sells multi thousand dollar digital cables.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Dragonfly they are the ones that are real small like a USB drive right?     the basic one is black and there is a better version that is red   would you suggest paying the extra for the red version?   its almost double the price, I found it for £180

2 hours ago, xLmarley said:

Dragonfly they are the ones that are real small like a USB drive right?     the basic one is black and there is a better version that is red   would you suggest paying the extra for the red version?   its almost double the price, I found it for £180

The one that I have experience with is actually the V1.2 of the early ones. They sound really good, and from what I've seen, the new ones sound the same, but they draw much less power. I wouldn't think that there would be too noticeable (if at all) a difference between them.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

OP I have the pinned post about amps and DACs with lots of recommendations, you can really just find what you like when it comes to price and then get that, yes I have written down the pricing for each product.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.