Light in keyboard when pc is off?

Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

No, I think you all pretty much got it wrong..

Some  motherboards leave at least a couple of USB ports powered on all the time, when functions like "Wake on keyboard press/mouse click " or "Wake on LAN" are enabled. Check the BIOS settings and disable those options and the USB ports may be turned off after you shut down the system. These ports are powered from 5v stand by wire of the power supply.

If this is the case, just move the keyboard usb jack from the current port to another .. on most keyboards there's only 2 or 4 usb ports powered for this reason after system is shut down, so simply moving the keyboard outside those 2-4 ports will fix the issue if disabling those functions in the bios doesn't do it.

Some motherboards also have some "special" USB ports meant to be always on, some "fast charging" ports so that you could charge devices while system is turned off. Usually there's some logo or embossing on the metal rectangle near those usb ports, so you'd know to avoid those ports. 

I just build a pc, and its working great. (GTX 750TI, i7 4790, asus b85m-g, and so on.) 
Only problem is that sometimes when i shut the pc off there is still light in the keyboard and mouse. 
The pc is turned fully off! 
I tried with diffrent gear, but still same result. 
I have to take the plug for the power supply out, and press the power button to make it stop. 

Suggestions on how to fix? 
I checked some USB settings under my BIOS, but i could not find any settings that is relevant to this.)

(This category because of the recent install of a new motherboard, asus b85-g)

Yes, the username is cringe. 

Have you tried waiting a few minutes?

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

4 minutes ago, L0gic said:

I just build a pc, and its working great. (GTX 750TI, i7 4790, asus b85m-g, and so on.) 
Only problem is that sometimes when i shut the pc off there is still light in the keyboard and mouse. 
I have to take the plug for the power supply out, and press the power button to make it stop. 

I checked some USB settings under my BIOS, but i could not find any settings that is relevant to this.)

It's the motherboard, you probably can't stop this unless you find something in the bios for power over USB after power off.

I edit my posts a lot.

6 minutes ago, L0gic said:

At times usb ports keep on powering the usb stuf even after it is turned off. My mouse lights remain on unless i pull the plug

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

asus has something in the BIOS called "EuP ready" enable it and your problem should be gone. it's basicly a function to charge usb devices while pc is turned of. Strangly you have to enable it to disable it ..;

It's probably the fast startup option

Disable that under power options and you should be good to go

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

Monitors: Dell U2414H 

No, I think you all pretty much got it wrong..

Some  motherboards leave at least a couple of USB ports powered on all the time, when functions like "Wake on keyboard press/mouse click " or "Wake on LAN" are enabled. Check the BIOS settings and disable those options and the USB ports may be turned off after you shut down the system. These ports are powered from 5v stand by wire of the power supply.

If this is the case, just move the keyboard usb jack from the current port to another .. on most keyboards there's only 2 or 4 usb ports powered for this reason after system is shut down, so simply moving the keyboard outside those 2-4 ports will fix the issue if disabling those functions in the bios doesn't do it.

Some motherboards also have some "special" USB ports meant to be always on, some "fast charging" ports so that you could charge devices while system is turned off. Usually there's some logo or embossing on the metal rectangle near those usb ports, so you'd know to avoid those ports. 

• 5 years later...
On 8/6/2016 at 9:02 PM, L0gic said:

IMG20211019041602.thumb.jpg.1427f4542e76da1952c5d3521e99cf28.jpgI bet I am too late too answer here's the real solution for those who need help(me included). Swap the yellow plastic near letter"G" normally up change it to down 😑

• 1 year later...
On 10/19/2021 at 3:29 AM, jakkajo said:

IMG20211019041602.thumb.jpg.1427f4542e76da1952c5d3521e99cf28.jpgI bet I am too late too answer here's the real solution for those who need help(me included). Swap the yellow plastic near letter"G" normally up change it to down 😑

Thank you for your solution; it worked for me. However, I had to downgrade my BIOS to version 2501. In the updated version, it didn't work when I swapped the plastic down.