Jagged Shadows,Pop in,Low LOD and jagged aa

Message added by WkdPaul,

Please stay civil and respectful, any violations of the Community Standards will be met with appropriate sanctions against your account.

Just now, Meeseeks said:

If you think it's not Electricity or Interference or Software. What else do we have left. Please make up your mind. Because if it's not these 3 I don't know what you will believe to be the cause. 

I dont think its software related either, in my opinion we have a unkown issue here not related to any of those factors, if it where we would have noticed improvements or atleast changes.

I edited my former comment a bit.

Dude, we literally tried every option the logical conclusion is a unkown factor, its either that or magic, i will let you choose.

In my old house/city i used to play GTA V with only FXAA or 2x MSAA. Even with FXAA GTA V looked amazing in my old house/city. But as soon as i moved to the new house/city even using 4x MSAA did not help. Even at 4x MSAA everything looked blurry in distance with flickering AA issues etc. It seems as though not even anisotropic filtering is working correctly.

These videos are captured at 4x MSAA and better settings than what i used to have in old house/city but in new house/city even at better settings GTA V looks really bad:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LYseyh0iPtnBNuic1GxuTDtSxdHj5CgW

4 minutes ago, Meeseeks said:

In my old house/city i used to play GTA V with only FXAA or 2x MSAA. Even with FXAA GTA V looked amazing in my old house/city. But as soon as i moved to the new house/city even using 4x MSAA did not help. Even at 4x MSAA everything looked blurry in distance with flickering AA issues etc.

These videos are captured at 4x MSAA and better settings than what i used to have in old house/city but in new house/city even at better settings GTA V looks really bad:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LYseyh0iPtnBNuic1GxuTDtSxdHj5CgW

You realize that can have more reasons then just electricity, aswell what about the people that got it randomly without moveing.

11 minutes ago, I_dont_know200 said:

You realize that can have more reasons then just electricity, aswell what about the people that got it randomly without moveing.

Don't wanna be rude but what else? I know we don't have much to go on with but atleast we have some evidence in the form of symptoms. Its us who has to understand these symptoms using our intellect to distinguish whether these symptoms can be caused by Software or Electricity or Interference. Believe me there are no other options left.

11 minutes ago, Meeseeks said:

Don't wanna be rude but what else? I know we don't have much to go on with but atleast we have some evidence in the form of symptoms. Its us who has to understand these symptoms using our intellect to distinguish whether these symptoms can be caused by Software or Electricity or Interference. Believe me there are no other options left.

Nothing so far indicates its one of those.

I also don't have any performance issues. Everything runs butter smooth. But I always used good hardware, so it's expected. Every build is unique. Someone have flickering, others have stuttering or even both.

A guy on Quora told me that electricity indeed could cause various issues: "I've seen some strange things happen in houses with bad electrical installation - for example, with touch on my phone when plugged in and charging (it would detect a touch that doesn't exist, and incorrectly position touches that do, and jump around - it looks like a software glitch, but it's caused entirely by the house)", although after showing him our topic he replied "At this point even if it was aliens it wouldn't shock me..."

So it's still a mystery... It could be electricity, but it also could be something else...

On 9/21/2019 at 7:51 AM, Meeseeks said:

I also suspect it is software on some level, but why does the problem persist even when I installed Linux on a completely clean hard drive? 

30 minutes ago, lobolaw1984 said:

I also suspect it is software on some level, but why does the problem persist even when I installed Linux on a completely clean hard drive? 

On intel systems, the PCH has a self contained microcontroller that has ring -2 or -3 access (direct memory access without the CPU being aware of it).  And it is hackable, and cant be wiped once infected.

Our specific issue is happening even on AMD platform and also on consoles and phones. Also if we analyze the symptoms carefully, they are most likely caused by Power Delivery issue or Interference or both.

The point is that besides the CPU and GPU there are many other things in the rendering pipeline, that we as end-users cant even see, let alone modify. If a part of this pipeline gets corrupted, it will be impossible for the end-user to repair.

Once again, we come to the conclusion that we need actual expert advice. I tried asking AMD support to connect me to an actual engineering department, but they kept avoiding it. Obviously their policy is that only support can talk to outsiders, which I can understand, but that puts us at a wall.

4 minutes ago, DaoNayt said:

The point is that besides the CPU and GPU there are many other things in the rendering pipeline, that we as end-users cant even see, let alone modify. If a part of this pipeline gets corrupted, it will be impossible for the end-user to repair.

Once again, we come to the conclusion that we need actual expert advice. I tried asking AMD support to connect me to an actual engineering department, but they kept avoiding it. Obviously their policy is that only support can talk to outsiders, which I can understand, but that puts us at a wall.

As you probably already know, they will tell you that the image looks fine, it is all in your head. 

A lot of these problems dont come across very well in image captures or video, unfortunately.

What other things are there in the rendering pipeline? For me, the change was triggered by software updates, but never went away, even after swapping hardware. The symptoms have no obvious connection to either hardware or software.

As for the electricity possibility, that just seems very far fetched. The problem is hardware or software related, not electrical.

I have a fresh install on a SSD that has similar issues, my old install on a mechanical HDD does not.  This is with changing nothing else in the system.

Granted, the only thing I get is LOD shifted textures  Causing too much detail to be rendered, making the resulting image a bit noisy at 1080p.  Everything else is fine.

20 minutes ago, Meeseeks said:

Our specific issue is happening even on AMD platform and also on consoles and phones. Also if we analyze the symptoms carefully, they are most likely caused by Power Delivery issue or Interference or both.

AMD has a similar thing in their systems.  Its an ARM core embedded into the CPU with a tiny amount of flash.  It has direct memory access as well, but no publically proven infection vectors.

4 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

I have a fresh install on a SSD that has similar issues, my old install on a mechanical HDD does not.  This is with changing nothing else in the system.

Granted, the only thing I get is LOD shifted textures  Causing too much detail to be rendered, making the resulting image a bit noisy at 1080p.  Everything else is fine.

Okay, that is another area we can look at. I have not tried using an HDD, I've only used SSDs For the last 7 years or so. It doesn't sound like it should fix the problem, but it might. Nothing else has worked.

4 minutes ago, lobolaw1984 said:

Okay, that is another area we can look at. I have not tried using an HDD, I've only used SSDs For the last 7 years or so. It doesn't sound like it should fix the problem, but it might. Nothing else has worked.

The change is very subtle.  Its sticks out like a sore thumb in Elite though.  Ice asteroids used to be smoothly shaded in shadow.  Now I get single pixel points of brightness that are from the reflection shader used for their surface.  If you get really close they resolve into larger shapes that are identifiable, but from a distance they look like static.

Though Elite also got a fairly big patch recently too, so...

40 minutes ago, lobolaw1984 said:

What other things are there in the rendering pipeline? For me, the change was triggered by software updates, but never went away, even after swapping hardware. The symptoms have no obvious connection to either hardware or software.

We know something changes whether in rendering pipeline or somewhere else but we don't know what causes this change. Software is acting as a carrier of this issue not the cause.

42 minutes ago, lobolaw1984 said:

As for the electricity possibility, that just seems very far fetched. The problem is hardware or software related, not electrical.

It is not far fetched. It is the only explanation and the proper one that can confirm it happening even in OS, Bios logo, consoles and phones. Remember our issue is not limited to games only it's everything that's been used in the house for some of the victims. For others maybe the intensity is low idk. But i am 100% sure that it's not software related at all.

38 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

AMD has a similar thing in their systems.  Its an ARM core embedded into the CPU with a tiny amount of flash.  It has direct memory access as well, but no publically proven infection vectors.

We would rather believe in some virus that can't cause our specific symptoms. Why are we even talking about it when we know such virus which can affect PCs, Consoles and phones at the same time and cause the symptoms we have does not even exist. On the other hand i have shown many articles on how electricity can affect Electronic devices let alone PCs.

5 minutes ago, Meeseeks said:

We would rather believe in some virus that can't cause our specific symptoms. Why are we even talking about it when we know such virus which can affect PCs, Consoles and phones at the same time and cause the symptoms we have does not even exist. On the other hand i have shown many articles on how electricity can affect Electronic devices let alone PCs.

Unless you can cause this exact problem with electrical supply, it is just as valid as damage caused by software.  We know that these systems can be hijacked in this way, just as you know electricity can cause it.  Both are just theories thrown at the wall to see if they stick.

BTW, fixed Elite by turning material quality down to medium.  Little to no negative side effects.

Here are some snippets of the issue.  They are BMP to get away from compression artifacts, and the scene changes a little because the asteroids spin.  May need to zoom on them to see what I am talking about.  Like I said, its a bit different than what others are seeing but is similar in nature.

It doesnt look so bad in stills, but in game the dots in high/ultra are so small that they blink on/off as things move.  Causing the surface to shimmer like static on an old TV.

Low material detail

Elite - low material.bmp

Medium material detail

Elite - medium material.bmp

High material detail

Elite - high material.bmp

Ultra material detail

Elite - ultra material.bmp

For me, it only affects PC games, and only some games at that. The desktop and BIOS are fine, as are some games. All of the other devices in my house are unaffected. 

There is also the possibility that there are multiple causes for the same symptoms. 

my opinion;

Game resolution and monitor resolution do not match

this is how the problem occurs

6 hours ago, can0753 said:

my opinion;

I thought about that, but every resolution setting in windows and games is correct and I turned GPU scaling off. So where is this error hidden?

7 hours ago, can0753 said:

my opinion;

That wouldn't explain the crazy shadows

Guys

Ive found a temporary fix but it is on a game to game basis, as in DONT DO THIS GLOBALLY because i assume it will heavily impact the performance of your pc but you can use NVIDIA Inspector to set in game anti-aliasing values to a decent setting so the game doesnt look absolute Freckles these two pictures are from before i did it with the In game MSAA to 8x to the clearer picture having little to no jaggies with tweaked settings in NVIDIA Inspector and keeping the MSAA to 8x in game.

Also This is a fix that im not sure if it works on AMD or not because i dont know what the Equivilent is for that.

So, How did i do this, simple. Download NVIDIA Inspector https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/nvidia-inspector-download.html i know the website looks scuffed but its legit.

open it AFTER You set the DirectX version in the game of choice to whatever you desire but for GTAV i noticed it looked MUCH MUCH better with DirectX 10.1 than with DirectX 11 and i know you lose some stuff like sweggy looking grass but that doesnt matter to me.

Open the Nvidia Inspector and click the button in the image, then you get greeted with a screen that looks confusing as hell, dont worry, you'll be fine just read the settings carefully and change them to similar ones to mine and you should be Gucci, you can change what Profile it says by clicking the dropdown menu in the top left, type in the name of the game you are playing and it should show up, click it, boom you're in. Now the only settings you wanna change, Bare in mind these are My settings for GTAV and whatever settings i change i make them the same as the ones i have set in Game. I have MSAA to 8x and Anisotrophic filtering to 16x so just select them to be the same Depending on the settings in the game of your choosing. you wanna change the AntiAliasing Behavior Flags setting to NONE, the Antialiasing mode to Enhance the Application setting, the Setting to whichever you are using in game, make sure it is Multisampling, Change the Transparency Multisampling to Enabled. The Transparency Supersampling to Whatever you want but make sure it it Sparse Grid SuperSampling or SGSS for short as it is fecking beautiful. Scroll down for the last 3 settings you need to change, Anisotropic Filtering mode to User Defined / Off, and the Anisotropic Filtering setting to the one you are using in game, and Texture Filtering  - Quality set it to High Quality, AND FOR THE LOVE OF DINGLES BEFORE YOU OPEN YOUR GAME MAKE SURE YOU CLICK APPLY CHANGES IN THE TOP RIGHT.

If you guys Need any Help Just hit me up on here or on Discord and i can try and assist you guys My discord name is Doughnut#9796 and i hope this works for some of you :D image.png.1871e90e94d03149484ba5139397a130.pngimage.png.204ae03e17aac79fed794ea7f822880e.pngimage.png.e92f3ff017e607dce002b467d0bdb971.png
image.png.06d7809adbf9dc96c13e435b071dc3a7.png

Lads as you can see it doesnt Entirely Fix Aliasing problems but it does heavily reduce them without giving much of a performance hit from 8x MSAA with Nvidia Inspector Tweaks to normal 8x MSAA at night. Also Dont bother with FXAA on most games, it doesnt work. SGSS is a lifesaver.image.png.9d313833c5997c18c355bb7626c4c5d6.pngimage.png.176361a94cabc2b6c256d3481b03b803.png

In order to get the proper recognition for this problem, we need to spread it on other forums. The reason why we’re getting nowhere is because the only place that this issue is recognized for EXACTLY what it is (Being a completely randomly triggered phenomenon). We need to also mention that it’s not only a pc problem, that it’s on phones and consoles too. That will help enormously, as you can’t debug graphical settings on consoles and phones like you can on PC, so it’ll silence anybody saying “Your settings aren’t configured right.”  REMEMBER, record the issue with an OUTSIDE CAMERA. Don’t use screenshots or screen recorded footage, as it won’t show up on unaffected hardware.