Nintendo NX may be a Hand-Held that can Plug into a TV

8 hours ago, Qub3d said:

SD cards or downloads. I mean, the PSP discs were a thing (though they sucked)

Well download only was an option I guess, I suppose they chickened out. Which is fair given what happened to Microsoft when they tried to lock it down. I can only imagine the outrage that will occur when the first of the big three drops physical media entirely.

As for disks and how the PSP did it. Well, again, 32GB cartridges are where portables are at. The PSP used DVD tech and had 1.8GB dual-layer disks. Far bigger than what the DS could do on cartridges. But if you scale that up to Blu-Ray tech? We're talking something around 10GB for dual-layer (the standard) and 20GB for quad-layer disks (UHD Blu-Ray). So unless there's a new optical media standard I don't know about cartridges are now bigger than mini-disks.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

2 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Gonna fucking call that Nvidia's gonna pull a repeat of the original Xbox.

context?

Just now, RagnarokDel said:

context?

Back when Microsoft and Nvidia were still making contracts for the Xbox, Nvidia presented their contract to Microsoft, which, unknowingly to MS, meant that Nvidia's GPUs were to be produced at a fixed price. This meant Microsoft couldn't really lower the console's price without bleeding from it.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

10 hours ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

I'm talking about its function as primarily a handheld.

If I buy an NX I'll probably never connect it to a TV. Out of all of Nintendo's franchises I'm pretty much only interested in Pokémon, and that's where I want the higher resolution, because the aliasing in those games is a horror to behold. They don't even have any anti-aliasing, and put black outlines on everything to boot, probably #1 worst aesthetic design desicion in a major video game I can remember in the history of humans.

For cartoon stylistic games, black lines by themselves are fine, however, even with 2x2 SSAA (the console's maximum supported AA mode) the display's resolution is much too low to make it look reasonable.

Not sure if this improved in Omega Ruba/Alpha Saphire, but the game engine used in X and Y seems to be having some issues keeping a stable framerate, even with 3D and AA off. Game Freak probably would have done better with a 3rd party engine like MT Framework. That game engine produces decent results with either 3D or 2x2 SSAA.

Kind of a shame. I had high hopes after seeing the tech demo that was Pokedex 3D. 2x1 AA with 3D, and proper shadow maps (my first time seeing the latter on a handheld). However, as I thought might happened, multiple complex models with shadow maps just wasn't happening.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Maybe its just me but i wish Nintendo would just step it up and put out hardware that's similar in power to the other two major consoles, or maybe even stop making hardware all together with and just stick with software, great games has always been their strong suit. Maybe just stick with handhelds and games that can be played on other consoles. 

Zelda is probably my favorite franchise of all time but im a little tired of buying Nintendo's just for the one game, i wouldn't mind if their hardware was as powerful as the current gen consoles though. 

2 hours ago, Newenthusiast said:

Maybe its just me but i wish Nintendo would just step it up and put out hardware that's similar in power to the other two major consoles, or maybe even stop making hardware all together with and just stick with software, great games has always been their strong suit. Maybe just stick with handhelds and games that can be played on other consoles.

If you wanted them to do three contradictory things at once you were never going to be happy.

Really, it's as simple as this. If these rumours are correct this will be the most competent pocketable gaming system on the market. So just ignore the fact that you can also plug it into your TV entirely. This is a portable, overclocked Wii U. The new Zelda is confirmed to be on it. The next Pokemon will probably launch on it. And from next year on when Nintendo releases new content it won't be for their portable or home console. It'll be for both at once. Is it a PS4 clone? No. But a portable that powerful and with the entire weight of Nintendo first party support behind it? I don't know, sounds like it could be pretty good.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

1 hour ago, skywake said:

This is a portable, overclocked Wii U. The new Zelda is confirmed to be on it...

Yeah, the anticipation for BotW is huge enough as it is. If the NX is mobile, and BotW is playable mobile with few compromises if any, it will generate massive positive attention and really show off its potential.

17 hours ago, Qub3d said:

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/nintendo-nx-leak-reveals-transforming-cartridge-running-handheld-1325423

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-07-26-nx-is-a-portable-console-with-detachable-controllers

Here is a photo from Eurogamer that speculates on the NX design: 

I would enjoy something like this. I also hear that Nintendo is going back to cartridges, which would be interesting with today's flash technology. Just hope it doesn't make game prices as expensive as they were in the old days ($90 for a Zelda game, anyone?)

Sounds like they'll use the next Tegra Chip since the X1 is a year old. I'd like it if they could make the successor in the Nintendo NX.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

17 hours ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

I thought Nintendo's President said that the NX was not going to be another Wii, as in not gimmick based.

he only said it wasn't a replacement for the wii u

i skipped most of the comments but imagine this the NX as a 3ds replacement it has the same performance / specs as a WiiU and plays anygame that a WiiU can via repurchasing the catridge or digitally you would have access to a great library of games  if it supports not only wifi but a sim card so you can truly game mobile and then when you want you can plug it into a TV and play games just like you do on your WiiU  or this dockign station has a more powerful GPU in it like a 290X level performance that will allow 4k suport in nintendo first party games 

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

13 hours ago, apm said:

the only reason it sold that much is because they sold it as a toy.

you are thinking of the wii u and that pretty much failed compared to the wii.

i still dont know how i feel about the NX being a handheld.

i hoped for a normal stationary console without gimmicks, but we are talking about nintendo here..

are they gonna abandon the 3DS after the NX came out?

I'm not thinking of the Wii U. 

i5 4590 @ Stock, XFX R9 290!, HyperX Beast 4x8GB  @1600, 850 EVO 120gb, WD Caviar Blue 1TB, , Asrock H97m Pro 4 , Fractal Design Define R4, Windows 10

well a Tegra X1 should be a close match to a WiiU raw performance wise but i would hope the reason they are holding off is because they want nvidias new Tegra P1 16nm chip even if it has the same performance just for the  efficiency gains and i hope that they will phase out the 3DS with this after 12-18 months of dual release games  then maybe nintendo will see how the VR wars have panned out and release a true home console with what is actually needed

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85