Thoughts on The Titan Xp, Is the Upgrade Worth it?

Well I don't know when the new Titan will be available in Luxembourg (the AIB 1080's are still 1-2 months away on Amazon). But i think I'll be willing to pay 400 euros or so extra for a completely over the top gpu seeing as I want my build to last as long as possible. 

But I've been waiting a long time for my build and so will keep on waiting. And maybe I can replace the Skylake in my build with a kaby lake by the time the gpu I want is available. 

I'm coming from a 2011 iMac with a Radeon 6970m gpu so the difference in gaming is going to be night and day. Not to mention the choice of available games will go up just a little?

Love not hate

2 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

I think they're a bit more versatile than that. How do you know it can't support 10GB? (I don't know much about that specifically, so I'm genuinely curious)

Also, if that's the concern, why wouldn't 8GB work?

You have set memory with every chip that's part of the architecture. Why the 970 was messed up, you have two sets of memory trying to use one controller because of the way the chip was cut. One controller was lost. Hence .500g of lower memory. And why some games didn't even see it. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

lol no

My System has a Intel Core i7 4790k @4.5ghz Cooled by A Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO With a MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition and 16GB of Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz Memory.

Just now, App4that said:

You have set memory with every chip that's part of the architecture. Why the 970 was messed up, you have two sets of memory trying to use one controller because of the way the chip was cut. One controller was lost. Hence .500g of lower memory. And why some games didn't even see it. 

I'm not seeing where you determine that 8GB and 10GB are impossible on GP102. They can just disable a couple sections, like they always do.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

1 minute ago, Dash Lambda said:

I'm not seeing where you determine that 8GB and 10GB are impossible on GP102. They can just disable a couple sections, like they always do.

Not how it works. Why does the lower memory variet of the 1060 have 3g? Why not 4? They would have to come up with a completely new chip to have 8g or 10g. 

9 minutes ago, App4that said:

Not how it works. Why does the lower memory variet of the 1060 have 3g? Why not 4? They would have to come up with a completely new chip to have 8g or 10g. 

Well, 3GB is reasonable on the low end...

But I'd love to see the actual diagrams that show they literally can't give it a workable amount of RAM.

I also think that, even if they HAD to give it 12GB of RAM, it wouldn't affect much. The RAM capacity doesn't really matter at all right now, cutting down the cores should probably be enough.

Just now, Dash Lambda said:

Well, 3GB is reasonable on the low end...

But I'd love to see the actual diagrams that show they literally can't give it a workable amount of RAM.

I also don't think that, even if they HAD to give it 12GB of RAM, it wouldn't affect much. The RAM capacity doesn't really matter at all right now, cutting down the cores should probably be enough.

To what end? You have to have a separation from the Titan X, otherwise it's just a Titan X. You have 30% at best to play with. So if you thread the needle you want the 1080ti 15% slower than the Titan X. Keep the memory and that's not a bad deal. Do you think Nvidia would do that though? Maybe to draw attention away from Vega, but not while there's no competition. So we're talking Q1 2017, and back to time is money. So one person might wait, and others like me got shit to do so get the Titan X xD 

1 minute ago, App4that said:

To what end? You have to have a separation from the Titan X, otherwise it's just a Titan X. You have 30% at best to play with. So if you thread the needle you want the 1080ti 15% slower than the Titan X. Keep the memory and that's not a bad deal. Do you think Nvidia would do that though? Maybe to draw attention away from Vega, but not while there's no competition. So we're talking Q1 2017, and back to time is money. So one person might wait, and others like me got shit to do so get the Titan X xD 

You skipped the first part of my response.

Anyway, I actually think they would. The 980 ti was a very successful preemptive response to the Fury X, they could easily do that again.

And there are very few situations in which it's actually beneficial to spend $1,200 now rather than wait a few months and spend considerably less on something very similar. The Titan series has always been for the people who don't really care about money, so if money is a major consideration, the Titan isn't worth it.

1 hour ago, Dresta said:

Kepler is lost,who in todays standards is gonna go back to Kepler when we have Maxwell and soon Pascal

I don't think you understand what I'm saying. How many generations of NVIDIA GPUs have we had that involved the Titan lineup? Two. Kepler (GTX Titan, GTX Titan Black and *shudder* the GTX Titan Z) and Maxwell (GTX Titan X). Just because Maxwell structured their Titan and GTX Ti differently, it doesn't automatically set the precedent for how the Titan series rank.

The Titan XP is an already cut down chip unlike the Titan X which had a full chip but similar to that of the GTX Titan which also had a cut down chip. Seeing how the gap between the GTX 1080 and GTX Titan XP is allegedly only 30%, that's not much room to slot in another card. Plus, cutting down more cores and memory is realistically going to result in a GTX 1080Ti having less VRAM than a GTX 1080, making it a less appealing product.

It makes more sense that this structuring is reminiscent of Kepler rather than Maxwell.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

1 minute ago, Dash Lambda said:

You skipped the first part of my response.

Anyway, I actually think they would. The 980 ti was a very successful preemptive response to the Fury X, they could easily do that again.

And there are very few situations in which it's actually beneficial to spend $1,200 now rather than wait a few months and spend considerably less on something very similar. The Titan series has always been for the people who don't really care about money, so if money is a major consideration, the Titan isn't worth it.

No I didn't, just on my phone and know that Google is available to you, not being cold just honest.

Its a matter of priorities and perspective. I don't want a deal, if I wanted a deal I'd wait. I want performance, which is why the reviews mean more to me than a possible 1080ti. But that's me. 

Just now, App4that said:

No I didn't, just on my phone and know that Google is available to you, not being cold just honest.

Its a matter of priorities and perspective. I don't want a deal, if I wanted a deal I'd wait. I want performance, which is why the reviews mean more to me than a possible 1080ti. But that's me. 

I've been Googling, it's just not specifically the sort of information that people usually look for so it's hard to find.

Especially with Nvidia's astonishing name choice.

I'll keep looking, though.

I realize that you're one of those people. For you, it makes sense. The OP obviously isn't, though, so it doesn't.

@HKZeroFive, though, has a good idea. This does look a lot like Kepler. Maybe we'll see a full-fat 1080 ti.

19 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

@HKZeroFive, though, has a good idea. This does look a lot like Kepler. Maybe we'll see a full-fat 1080 ti.

I have a theory that a GTX 1080Ti will only exist if AMD comes close with VEGA (a part of me remains doubtful but anything's possible). It'll essentially be the same thing as Kepler; the GTX 1080Ti, like the GTX 780Ti, will have a full-fat chip and be faster whilst significantly cheaper to counter AMD's offerings.

Until then, it makes sense to only offer the Titan XP. The enthusiast market is super small anyway.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Just now, HKZeroFive said:

I have a theory that a GTX 1080Ti will only exist if AMD comes close with VEGA (a part of me remains doubtful but anything's possible). It'll essentially be the same thing as Kepler; the GTX 1080Ti, like the GTX 780Ti, will have a full-fat chip and be faster whilst significantly cheaper to counter AMD's offerings.

Until then, it makes sense to only offer the Titan XP. The high enthusiast market is super small anyway.

As always, we just have to hope AMD can compete.

6 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

As always, we just have to hope AMD can compete.

We just had a first glimpse of what might happen if NVIDIA had a pseudo-monopoly and no competition with the GTX 1070 & GTX 1080. Prices inflate and consumers lose.

On the other hand, the GTX 1060 had a superbly smooth launch with prices right at the MSRP. Sure, you may attribute it to the fact that custom cards were also sold at launch and that supply was significantly better but a large reason why it happened is because of the RX 480. It offered competition.

We, the consumers, need competition. The idiots calling for AMD's death should finally see the reality. AMD doesn't have to beat NVIDIA but offer products that keep them in check. That's all I want.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, HKZeroFive said:

We just had a first glimpse of what might happen if NVIDIA had a pseudo-monopoly and no competition with the GTX 1070 & GTX 1080. Prices inflate and consumers lose.

On the other hand, the GTX 1060 had a superbly smooth launch with prices right at the MSRP. Sure, you may attribute it to the fact that custom cards were also sold at launch and that supply was significantly better but a large reason why it happened is because of the RX 480. It offered competition.

We, the consumers, need competition. The idiots calling for AMD's death should finally see the reality. AMD doesn't have to beat NVIDIA but offer products that keep them in check. That's all I want.

We're seeing what happens on a much larger scale in the CPU market.

We all want AMD to just push a little harder, and it looks like they're going to, but it's so painful waiting.

1080 Ti won't come with HBM2 if the 780 Ti and 980 Ti are any sort of indicator. Both cards have been based on Titans, and the 1080 Ti (assuming it will exist, of course), will theoretically be a GP102 with fewer shader units, CUDA cores and VRAM. And don't think about waiting for something new; you'll never stop waiting if you do; you've just got to take the plunge some time.

Really, all it comes down to is do you want the best money can buy or do you want something that may be a reasonable investment?
If the former, buy the Titan Xs. If the latter, keep the 980 Tis.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

• 8 months later...