PSU Tier List [OLD]

Go to solution Solved by Spotty,

This is a legacy list. It is no longer being updated.

The new PSU Tier List can be found here:

Aside from looking at the PSU's crossload profile or having the review outright telling you, the power specification chart will show that the 12V rail will not be equal to rated wattage in a group-regulated PSU (although, nowadays it had been getting pretty close). So if you want to avoid them and get a DC-DC / independent regulated PSU rated for 550w for example, it will either have a 12V rating of 45.83A (550/12) or 45A rounded down (never rounded up). There are exceptions to this though, where units like the Cooler Master GM / GXII Storm Edition (DC-DC) or the OCZ ZS / Rosewill Hive v1 (indy) has a lower 12V rating.

If you are able to find images of the internals (sometimes the manufacturer themselves provide it in their marketing or sometimes through the fan grill), you can identify it from that as well. They do have some cases that certain designs makes it a little more confusing to identify though (like the Fractal Design Integra M seen as group-regulated). The Seasonic ST platform is kind of a hybrid, where it group-regulated (12V+5V) and have DC-DC for the 3.3V.

Spoiler

uc?export=view&id=0B2WbTIlIDKfmYmg1M1Qzc

On the secondary side of the power supply, there's a big output coil and a smaller one in a group-regulated design (Seasonic S12II-B), while an independent regulated PSU will have an additional small coil (OCZ ZS). However, in an indy design whose primary topology uses a LLC Resonant Convertor, the big 12V choke may not be present (Fractal Design Integra M).

PSUs that uses a buck convertor / DC-DC to generate the minor rails from the 12V output typically have it integrated on a separate daughterboard or on the modular board, where you would either see one 12V choke or none in a LLC design. You can see this in the CXM 2015 and Seasonic X KM3.

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

What does the *** mean?  There aren't any annotations.

could have been in a higher tier but got cut down to T3 for sleeved fans.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

1 minute ago, herman mcpootis said:

could have been in a higher tier but got cut down to T3 for sleeved fans.

Lol that's something that should be in the post then.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

10 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Yeah, the pages progress really quickly. Anyone reading this for the first time is not going to know it's already been said. It's unneeded clutter, just edit the post @STRMfrmXMN

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

15 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

@Megah3rtz applies to you too. it's at the bottom of the OP.

On 7/23/2016 at 10:44 AM, STRMfrmXMN said:

How do you even grade these things?

Reveal hidden contents

Any unit with a sleeve-bearing fan will be deemed no better than Tier 3. Sleeve-bearing fans tend to fail rather quickly when placed in the horizontal mounting position which is what most systems require (the picture used is a PSU mounted in a Fractal Design Define S which uses a traditional mounting system). This is why excellent units like the Enermax SFX unit are placed in tier 3 despite being very good - the fan design holds it back. If mounted in a position like in this Corsair Air 240 then a sleeve-bearing fan should last a very long time.

PSUs that have been bumped down to tier 3 that would belong in a higher tier if not for their sleeve-bearing fans are marked with yellow asterisks

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Just now, herman mcpootis said:

I didn't see that.  I did read it though, I just overlooked it somehow.  Putting a *** there would be easier though.  The first thing I did was search the page for that.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

10 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

wasn't there last time I checked, it only said something about the CXM. 

4 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

What does the *** mean?  There aren't any annotations.

Fixed it to make it easier to read now.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

4 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

It is.

3 hours ago, Megah3rtz said:

wasn't there last time I checked, it only said something about the CXM. 

Now there is B3, CXM and Enermax

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

How does tier 2 compare against tier 1 for practical use? I'm considering T2 units since they're a fair bit cheaper.

33 minutes ago, Xizel said:

How does tier 2 compare against tier 1 for practical use? I'm considering T2 units since they're a fair bit cheaper.

For pretty much any computer a T2 PSU is fine.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

2 hours ago, Xizel said:

Practical use? Nothing an average consumer would be bothered with. You'd be fine with T2 for pretty much almost any computer. 

2 hours ago, Xizel said:

It's fine. I recommend anything Tier 3 and above.

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Should I bump the EVGA NEX G series up to T3? I feel like it's weird that the Seasonic S12 is there while the NEX is not.

1 hour ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Should I bump the EVGA NEX G series up to T3? I feel like it's weird that the Seasonic S12 is there while the NEX is not.

Eh, but it's been there so long... On a more serious note though, I guess we could. It just feels like for a gold unit, the NEX should just be doing better than it does...

5 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

the NexG is an aurum CM unit, right? the bitfenix fury is the same platform and T3, kinda odd to see them in different tiers. I'd bump it but maybe add a disclaimer for bad value or something. 

3 hours ago, herman mcpootis said:

add a disclaimer for bad value or something. 

didn't we have a few page long arguments against this with that german guy who thought we should add prices (or disclaimers like this) 

5 hours ago, herman mcpootis said:

the NexG is an aurum CM unit, right? the bitfenix fury is the same platform and T3, kinda odd to see them in different tiers. I'd bump it but maybe add a disclaimer for bad value or something. 

Yeah, I'm gonna bump it up one.

2 hours ago, Megah3rtz said:

didn't we have a few page long arguments against this with that german guy who thought we should add prices (or disclaimers like this) 

No monetary anything should be taken into this list since prices vary wildly depending on time of year, things like Cryptocurrency mining and the value of high-wattage PSUs as such, and the location of the purchase.

10 hours ago, Megah3rtz said:

8 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Yeah, I'm gonna bump it up one.

No monetary anything should be taken into this list since prices vary wildly depending on time of year, things like Cryptocurrency mining and the value of high-wattage PSUs as such, and the location of the purchase.

I have to agree, this list should be based on quality only. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

22 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

I say no.

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

24 minutes ago, JDE said:

I say no.

I bumped it to tier 3. It's decent for a group-regulated unit, is based on the same FSP Aurum platform as the Bitfenix Fury (T3), and should be in the same group as a Seasonic S12/M12.

3 hours ago, MEC-777 said:

I have to agree, this list should be based on quality only. 

Yeah, quality and performance only, and the NEX was always tier 4 because it's just utter garbage for the pricepoint but still an OK unit, but since this is list is quality and performance only this is how it's gonna be.

54 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

I bumped it to tier 3. It's decent for a group-regulated unit, is based on the same FSP Aurum platform as the Bitfenix Fury (T3), and should be in the same group as a Seasonic S12/M12.

Shouldn't the Aurum be Tier 3 then?

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop