Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
STRMfrmXMN

PSU Tier List [OLD]

Still not touching the cx greens with a 10 foot pole, and consider them lower but whatever the list needed updating for sure.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Just now, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Good job. Where is the XFX XT on the list? How does that stack up against the similarly priced PSUs like the Corsair CX and EVGA B?

Must have been swallowed whole by a Kraken, because it's Tier 5

Energy Dragon OTP

You shall not be forgotten

The Glorious PSU Tier list is back in action!

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)
Framepainting-inator: MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8GB (Sometimes as high as 1450 core, 2310 memory) (mining as we speak)

Attachcorethingy: GA-H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333 CAS 9

Computerarmor: CM Elite 360 (Moddded to all hell by now)

Rememberdoogle: 120GB Trion 150 + 1TB WD RE+

AdditionalPylons: Corsair CX450M

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: EVGA Torq X3

Auralnterface: $15 Philips earbuds yay

Liquidrectangles: AOC G2260VWQ6 (Freesync 75Hz), Samsung SMB2030N (1600x900 VGA)

Brother's Computer:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel i3-2100 (carry over from my old build)
Framepainting-inator: GTX 650 Ti

Attachcorethingy: Intel Z68 (don't know anything else, got it from ebay for like $40)

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x2GB 1333MHz C9

Computerarmor: Ashamed to say

Rememberdoogle: 120GB SP550 + 500GB 2.5" from a laptop

AdditionalPylons: Antec Basiq BP350 (not as loud as @STRMfrmXMN says it is)

Letterpad: Logitech MK120 bundle

Buttonrodent: See above

Auralnterface: Hah! You wish

Liquidrectangles: Samsung 1600x900 + LG 1440x900

4 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

Still not touching the cx greens with a 10 foot pole, and consider them lower but whatever the list need updating for sure.

They're not as bad as they ended up looking and variations apply on the revision (most units sellable today are a T4 rev, older units may be T5) but they got shit tons of bad PR because of a really low rated temperature maximum (30C or  86F, some places go higher in summer ffs) and OTP kicking in on people trying to put high-end gaming rigs on one of these.

Energy Dragon OTP

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Framepainting-inator: MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8GB (Sometimes as high as 1450 core, 2310 memory) (mining as we speak)

Liquidrectangles: AOC G2260VWQ6 (Freesync 75Hz), Samsung SMB2030N (1600x900 VGA)

Brother's Computer:

Spoiler

Attachcorethingy: Intel Z68 (don't know anything else, got it from ebay for like $40)

Hey, next time could you  add the price of the units next to their name? It would save us budget psu shoppers the pain of looking up each psu to find the cheapest one for the tier. 

if (you want to reply) {

USE THE QUOTE BUTTON 

}

else {

DONT

}

Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, FanBlade said:

Hey, next time could you  add the price of the units next to their name? It would save us budget psu shoppers the pain of looking up each psu to find the cheapest one for the tier. 

No, prices change too dramatically between just a few hours. That would be up to the shopper.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| I like Power Supplies for whatever reason. Feel free to PM me with any questions. 

My system: PCPartPicker || Resources for PSU information: "links are not allowed ExDee" | For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick

Just now, STRMfrmXMN said:

No, prices change too dramatically between just a few hours. That would be up to the shopper.

You could add the msrp

if (you want to reply) {

USE THE QUOTE BUTTON 

}

else {

DONT

}

Just now, FanBlade said:

You could add the msrp

MSRP isn't what things actually cost in the real world and capitalism allows them to adjust properly in price due to demand. It just won't happen, sorry.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| I like Power Supplies for whatever reason. Feel free to PM me with any questions. 

My system: PCPartPicker || Resources for PSU information: "links are not allowed ExDee" | For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick

Just now, Energycore said:

They're not as bad as they ended up looking and variations apply on the revision (most units sellable today are a T4 rev, older units may be T5) but they got shit tons of bad PR because of a really low rated temperature maximum (30C or  86F, some places go higher in summer ffs) and OTP kicking in on people trying to put high-end gaming rigs on one of these.

Oh I'm aware of their problem being a little overdone, but those T5 units are still garbage and really deserved their place towards the bottom, I was however unaware they had switched them, they should have rebranded them in that case given the bad rep the old ones had.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Oh just a suggestion, you might want to put a descriptor next to the tiers or below the list, tiers are all well and fine but context makes it easier to understand and that was always something lacking from the old list

1 minute ago, FanBlade said:

You could add the msrp

Tomshardware has an API that automatically pulls an item's price and it's very convenient, but the three of us don't have programming experience and I'm not even sure the forums allow for such a thing. Perhaps we can think of something else.

Energy Dragon OTP

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Brother's Computer:

Spoiler

Just now, Energycore said:

Tomshardware has an API that automatically pulls an item's price and it's very convenient, but the three of us don't have programming experience and I'm not even sure the forums allow for such a thing. Perhaps we can think of something else.

That would be really cool if we could have it here. Someone here probably has enough experience to do it. 

if (you want to reply) {

USE THE QUOTE BUTTON 

}

else {

DONT

}

2 minutes ago, Energycore said:

I actually do C++ but AFAIK this wouldn't help me here xD

4 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Or you could go the lazy way and put a pc partpicker link and do about the same thing with little to no effort

1 minute ago, AresKrieger said:

Or you could go the lazy way and put a pc partpicker link and do about the same thing with little to no effort

That's an interesting idea, I'll bring it up

Energy Dragon OTP

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Brother's Computer:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

Or the person looking to buy a PSU could just see what the unit costs in their country...

4 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Or the person looking to buy a PSU could just see what the unit costs in their country...

That too, it was just me finding a solution to a problem you guys brought up, I don't really care since it's not me who would be setting up some weird API for the thread :P

This is going in my signature :).

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill

Samsung Galaxy S8 Exynos variant (Late 2018 - present) | Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 2016 Edition (Late 2018 - present) | Lenovo Thinkpad T480 i7-8550U with UHD 620 Graphics (Mid 2018 - present)

Samaritan XL (Early 2019 - present) - AMD Ryzen 7 1700X (8C/16T) , MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon, Corsair 16GB DDR4-3200MHz ,  Asus ROG Strix RX Vega 56 , Corsair RM850i PSU, Corsair H100i v2 CPU Cooler, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD, Seagate BarraCuda 2TB HDD (2018), Seagate BarraCuda 1TB HDD (2014), NZXT S340 Elite, Corsair ML 120 Pro, Corsair ML 140 Pro

Oh crap, now I really need a new power supply! xD 

Still waiting on the new EVGA BQ and EVGA BD reviews and I'm curious where they'll rank up on the list.

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4,7GHz GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X TRIO 11GB GDDR5X Motherboard: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO ALPHA
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 RAM: Corsair Vengeance LED 16GB DDR4 3200MHz Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400 TG White PSU: Corsair TX650M (2017)
Displays: AORUS AD27QD, DELL UltraSharp U2711 Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 120GB, ADATA SP550 240GB M.2, Kingston UV400 240GB, WD Red 2TB & 1TB
Laptop: Acer Nitro 5 CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2500U GPU: AMD Radeon RX 560X 4GB RAM: 16GB Storage: 240GB M.2 SSD, 1TB HDD Display: 15.6" IPS

3 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Oh crap, now I really need a new power supply! xD 

Lol I had a bad  PSU (CX600M) and decided to get an overpowered PSU :D. going from one extreme to the other lol.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill

Samsung Galaxy S8 Exynos variant (Late 2018 - present) | Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 2016 Edition (Late 2018 - present) | Lenovo Thinkpad T480 i7-8550U with UHD 620 Graphics (Mid 2018 - present)

Samaritan XL (Early 2019 - present) - AMD Ryzen 7 1700X (8C/16T) , MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon, Corsair 16GB DDR4-3200MHz ,  Asus ROG Strix RX Vega 56 , Corsair RM850i PSU, Corsair H100i v2 CPU Cooler, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD, Seagate BarraCuda 2TB HDD (2018), Seagate BarraCuda 1TB HDD (2014), NZXT S340 Elite, Corsair ML 120 Pro, Corsair ML 140 Pro

2 hours ago, Starelementpoke said:

Just managed to check this, was heading to Canada. Thought you were going to link the doc @STRMfrmXMN

Doc had some flaws and this reads well enough. 

7 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

This is going in my signature :).

Nice!

7 hours ago, vagabond139 said:

I would suggest separating the RM class. The 1000 watt is pretty bad for what it is. Iirc its gets about 100mv of ripple of the 12V rail.

The newer RM units are very good so for now I'll leave them there but some of the older RMs do have some of their own issues.